TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Worst Coaster Experience

• Replies 344
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My worst experience would have to be one of those inverted Reptar coasters made for little kids. I rode it just so I could add it to my list and then found out ten minutes later I was about a centimetre away from being too tall. It kinda freaked me out that the ride ops didn't even check :/

There's also the Corkscrew here in New Zealand, which is pretty much a minute and a half of headbanging. I never thought it was possible to headbang on a lift hill.

May 31st, last year, i was at Gardaland, and when i passed blue tornado, i noticed there was no line at all. Which was weird, becouse Blue Tornado is one of the most crowded rides at gardaland usually, and that day the crowds were anything but light.

Well, anyway, I had luck, and ended up in front of the line for the next train, and decided to take the front.

I have ridden Blue tornado several times before, and it was never really horrible. Some headbanging, but it was still rideable, even somewhat fun.

Some headbanging, but i'm usually not that bothered by that. I learned how to ride, throughout the years of Visiting the park which has a contract with Vekoma...

Well, anyway, I sat down, and closed my restraint. It didn't go down as much as it usually does, it seemed, like one step was missing. So, it was quite shaky, and didn't really provide a sense of safety.

Well, than we started to go up the lift. i enjoyed the view, chatted with my neighbour a bit, and stuff like that.

At the top, I braced myself, as usually, and waited for the "fun" to begin.

When we dropped down the first drop, everything seemed normal. I really enjoy BTs drop, it's quite fun, and one of the smoothest parts of the ride.

But, when we hit the bottom, everything changed. the transition, from the naked drop to the unbanked half loop really caught me off guard, and i bumped my head on the restraints heavily. this caused me to loosen up a bit. Big mistake... The rollover simply beat the crap out of me. first, it throws you out of your seat, becouse of the weight of the train pulling back, than there's this very brief moment of hangtime, which caused me to float out of the seat, and right after that, BANG, slam to the right, than to the left, to the right again, and again to the left. Since i didn't really hold on very good, it threw me around like a rag doll. Than next, the moment when you go down the other half loop, when the train slows down becouse of the other half pulling back again, and again, you fly out of your seat, but in a not fun, non-airtime kind of way. Than, slam, back into the seat, some headbanging, and than my favourite part of the SLC: that high banked turn, into that sidewinder. It wasn't that bad, but the next part totally made up for it. SLAM! The transition on top of the sidewinder was just horrible. If you're looking at a train going through that inversion, from the path besides the coaster, you can clearly see it slam to the side...

Anyway, Than came that helix, which i don't really remember, and after that, those rolls, which I don't really mind usually, actually, I find them quite fun. But this time they beat me up in a similar fashion, than the rollover. The next turn was quite normal, didn't really bother me. The helix after that is one of the more enjoyable elements on that coaster. but I didn't really have the chance to enjoy it this time, I was in too much pain. the entrance to the brakes threw me around a bit more, and than the brakes stopped really brutally. Untill than I didn't really feel the whole amount of pain, but than it started coming to me. My head hurt like hell, Icouldn't feel my ears (i mean, I didn't feel my hands on them, when I touched them), my neck was killing me, as was my back. And to top everything off, I couldn't find my shoes when I came back to the station... (I put the off, so they wouldn't fall off during the ride) After asking the ride OP lady, I found out she threw the out of the station, becouse I supposedly wasn't allowed to leave normal shoes in the shelves. She said i could only leave sandals and slippers there. later I found them on the exit ramp, outside the station...

When i came out of the gates, I didn't even bother to go see my onride picture, I just lyed down on a bench, and lay there for like 45 minutes, untill I was ready to walk around the park again...

I'm sorry for the long reply, but i really do hate that experience very passionately...

Also, this is coming from a guy, who finds Volare, Boomerang (prater), Sierra Tonante, Magic Mountain and Sequoia Adventure funa and pleasant...

Thunderbolt at Kennywood gets my vote, not necessarily because of the quality of the ride but because when I put my hands up on a drop the guy behind me decided to tickle me under the arms.

So the reflex action of hunching up my shoulders and pulling my neck down, coupled with the coaster levelling out at the bottom of the drop caused me to feel like I'd broken my neck.

It took 3-days to fully recover from that.

Haha. Just reading through this.. You guys have had some doozies.

So mine seems pretty lame. But i was on the Tower Of Terror ride at

Dreamworld here in AUS. It launched, went up the hill, came back down, and i thought we were about to stop but no.. Whoosh. We went straight back past the station into some area behind the loading part of the ride.

Scared the hell out of me as soon as i saw the station go by i thought we were going to go off the end of the tracks! But no. We stopped suddenly and you could just hear everyone in the train.. "WTF?"

Haha. It was pretty funny but scary at the same time.

We all had to get out of the car and walk along the side of the track.

I know its probably impossible but i couldnt help thinking..

OMG what if it launches while were walking!

Yeah.. Pretty scary experience. Other than that ive been stuck on several travelling rides at the Sydney Royal Eastershow.

Harnesses not opening, sudden jolts, emergency stops etc.

But nothing ever really major

I had watched a video that talked about the engineering of Millennium Force and decided to lose weight so I could fit on coasters and one day ride Millennium. About 130 pounds into the diet some friends and I went to Astroworld. Everything was going great; I rode my first coasters in almost 20 years, even my first inverted coaster, an amazing experience at the time. Well, they wanted to ride XLR-8, a suspended coaster, and my friends decided we should ride it backwards. Remembering that it was pretty tame, I didn't see a problem with it. ...bad idea! I got so nauseous on that ride. I wasn't up to riding anything else for the rest of the day. I just watched them having a blast on everything while I continued to watch the ground sway back and forth...back and forth...

I've discovered that riding forward I can take anything...backwards, the only thing I can take is a TUMS.

• 4 weeks later...

"Okay, cue in the violin music"

Many years ago, I stood in line to ride this new ride at Kings Island called "Scooby Doo's Roller Ghoster" in which you have one or two riders ride on these motorcycle bike-like cars, have an elevator lift your bike up about fifty feet in the air, and you ride, suspended, all the way down back to the station. I wanted for over an hour because I thought this ride looked cool and thrilling.

When I finally got on and rode it, I was never so disappointed in all my roller coaster life. The ride was so lame, it wouldn't scare a sick duck! And the long waiting time to ride a lamer thirty second ride made the whole experience ever worser.

When Cedar Fair took over and took this ride out, I didn't blame them one bit.

"The former Scooby Doo's Roller Coaster at King's Island - May you rust in pieces!!! HA HA HA HA HA!!!

• 8 months later...

Scott (krazekiddd) and I were waiting in line for Cheetah Chase at BGT when we were blessed with the sight of the actions of a rather large woman and her 12 year old (I assume) son(again assumed).

This mother repeatedly took her sons head, and face first shoved him into her breasts and shook his head around. Again and again and again this happened, every time the kid seemed to thouroughly enjoy it and excitedly mashed his face in her breasts. At some point the kid even lifted her shirt, or put his hands up her shirt (I can't be sure, I was facing away in disgust.)

This went on for the entire time we were in the queue. (about 15min)

The Great American Scream Machine @ Six Flags Over Georgia by far one of the most painful wooden roller coasters ever! Very very VERY rough ride! I heard this thing had been operating since 1973 and yeah its time for this thing to be torn down already. There isnt anything "fun" about this coaster.

The Gwazi @ Busch Gardens Africa is also a close second BUT is a pretty fun woody. Isnt as rough BUT its one insane wooden coaster and my head always hurts everytime i get off this thing!

On Firehawk. I was riding and once we flipped over, I let go of the handle to ride the ride ala Superman, went down the first drop and as the train did a turn to the right, my left arm continued to go forward, dislocating my left shoulder. Then left arm floppedhelplessly for short time until I used my right arm to put it back on the handle, very painful. I then had to endure the rest of the ride.

I then got the first aid cart thingy credit before getting some good morphine in the squad on the way to the ER. Luckily this was the last ride of the day and of all days, one I did NOT drive to the park, which was good. Of course my friends finished the day with the fireworks and shopping while I was at the ER, and of course bought me a Firehawk Tshirt. Smart As***

• 2 weeks later...

Three bad experiences for me.

Rampage at Alabama Adventure - Being on the first ride of the train that tore the track up, along with the many donkey punch pot holes during ERT.

Pirates at Disneyland - Being stuck for 30 minutes with screaming kids after a pretty big earthquake. We were the second boat from the end lift, so that damn pirate with the gun kept on shooting us. But the worst part was the song! It was pure torture.

Terminator at SFMM - Being stuck on Terminator Salvation for about 20 minutes in 100+ heat right before the station track switch (so there was NO shade) without my sunglasses!

• 1 year later...

Viper at SFMM. Because im so short, My head hits the bars over and over and its like a torture machine! I can't even Enjoy the ride! And theres no head rest so i cant keep my head pressed against the back.

Coney Island Cyclone beat me half to death this last summer. On one of the hills, it felt like the ride ripped my spine out of my back. It hurt for three weeks, and I am only rarely hurt by roller coasters (although Wildcat @ Lake Compounce gave me a beating nearly as bad).

Viper at Darien Lake. I'm not sure if it's because it's an Arrow/Huss ride, but the train seats are deeper so the harness is able to come down further on me, and with my build it just crushes me. I'm 6'4 about 180 and I've never had that kind of problem on an Arrow coaster other than Viper.

It didn't help at all that both times that I have ridden it, two different years, the ride op was stapling everyone and when I told him I couldn't breathe he just looked at me and shrugged.

Well, let's see....

My last ride in 2004 on Viper at Great Adventure was HORRID. Incredibly bad jackhammering, headbanging was so incredible, I thought I would get off the ride with my brains turned into a milkshake...

Manhattan Express was horrid the second time I rode it. OTSR, 'nuff said.

I don't get the hate for Mean Streak. I've been on it a few times, and sure it's dull, but I've never been insanely beat up on it. Same goes for Predator at Hersheypark. That thing was real smooth when I went on it.

Thunderhawk...That is the only Woodie I've ever gone on where I felt like I was getting off injured. The damn thing had nice airtime, but so much that I was sent flying into my uncle. My shoulder hurt for the rest of the day.

My first ride on GASM was nightmarish. The train before actually got stuck in the brake run, which lead to downtime. Then, I was given SOME FREAKING RIDE...Headbanging, jackhammering, and a 2-week long headache ensued...

Ironically, the more times I rode it, it actually got smoother.

Viper at Darien Lake. I'm not sure if it's because it's an Arrow/Huss ride, but the train seats are deeper so the harness is able to come down further on me, and with my build it just crushes me. I'm 6'4 about 180 and I've never had that kind of problem on an Arrow coaster other than Viper.

It didn't help at all that both times that I have ridden it, two different years, the ride op was stapling everyone and when I told him I couldn't breathe he just looked at me and shrugged.

I had no problem with Viper at all. I actually very much enjoyed it. Mind you that was quite some years ago. Predator on the other had was brutal.