TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Worst Coaster Experience

• Replies 344
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While I've ridden bad coasters, I've never had a truly bad experience. Sure I've ridden rough coasters, but I expected that, but I still had fun no matter how rough the ride was. I guess the worst would have been Disaster Transport when I waited 45 minutes to an hour and the ride was over as soon as it started. However, I still had a lot of fun for those few seconds. Another one could be my rides on Predator/Boomerang at Darien Lake, and even though I knew they would be rough, I decided to ride. Predator almost had airtime, but the roughness killed the ride. Boomerang, while rough, still wasn't a terrible experience as the reverse incline can provide a good thrill.

I have dangerously bad luck with flying coasters. Opening year for Superman: Ultimate Flight at SFGrAm, I was attending an early morning ERT session, when we stopped in the brake run, in upright B&M flying position, for around 40 minutes. If you want to know the meaning of discomfort, that's it.

Then, the first year Cedar Fair had ownership of Geauga Lake, I decided to take a spin on X-flight, and right before the ride dispatched, there was a trouble light which required a ride reset. No big deal, 10 minutes and we're off. Until we hit the final brakes (on a rainy day, mind you) and lay there for 10 minutes. We proceed into the station, where the train would not raise. It wouldn't even attempt to raise, there was something that much the matter with it.

After numerous attempts at resetting the ride, and the train *almost* deciding to try raising, they called maintenance, who showed up within, Oh 20 minutes or so, poked around at the controls, and under the ride, etc.. Then, they broke out the big guns - Socket wrenches. That's right, after just over 90 minutes of laying in true flying position, with the riders' legs over their heads, seat by seat, the train/restraints were disassembled, and we were lifted out.

It is definitely something to laugh at, but I was feeling pretty dizzy after that experience.

edit: Oh, and what Eric said, too. X is a P.O.S

Only really bad coaster rides I have had were one Hurler at Carowinds and Beast at KI.

Hurler - It was a walk on. I sat in the back seat anticipating another great woodie. This thing jackhammered and slamed you side to side SO bad! My back seriously hurt for a good hour or so after the ride. The only thing good out of that ride was the hill coming out of that turn.

Beast - It was in the early '06 season. Could have been '05. I sat in the back seat and my friend sat in the seat infront of me. This ride jackhammered SO bad! From start to finish! And I tried to lean off my seat but I got slammed to the right side on the final helix and destroyed him right shoulder. I got off it having some breathing problems and a bruised shoulder. I didn't sit in the back seat for atleast a year or so.

^^^

Agreed. Now X did have a fun moment, the top to the bottom of the drop, but after that it was so painful. I mean, I can handle some roughness, but this was just pure torture. The lie-to-fly or whatever it's called to the end is where I was praying for my life. My head was bashing against the headrest so damn hard. I tried to keep my head back, but it was way too jerky. I will NEVER ride it again, unless it gets smoother.

The Beast back row around 11am in August on the TPR Midwest tour, the drop and turn into the shed after the second lift hill. I thought my ribcage would be broken into little pieces, I genuinely thought I would be injured, and I'm not exactly frail physically.

I've always hoped that X would become one of SFMM's "ex" coasters, but now that it'll be X2, it looks like it's staying awhile...

Psyclone on the other side of the park from X ranks up there as one of my worst experiences as well.

Eric

Ghostrider on a bad day. I had a bad headache, was dehydrated and starving, and didn't know what I was in for... I got middle of silver train on a hot day and regretted the entire ride.

Now I love Ghostrider... just not when I'm feeling ill beforehand.

And I still don't understand what's with the hate of X... sure, it's rough, but I've had much worse rides on other coasters that fewer people complain about. X is tolerably rough for me, even on outside seats. The only time I felt bad after X was West Coast Bash -- I rode it 4 times in a row and my shoulders got bruised.

Maybe I'm sadistic or something... Because I loved Psyclone too (and because of the roughness)! I actually rode back seat 4 times in a row...

My ride on Wild Beast at PCW in 2006 was the WORST ride I've ever been on. It jackhammered like crazy and was extremely rough all over the course. I got off the ride with both an extremely bad headache and sore back.

I grudgingly rode it this season, and it was slightly better...but not much. They should just tear that POS down and put in a GCI woodie. Or an Intamin pre-fab. But that's everyone's dream for any park.

Mine was also on Wilde Beast. I had read a review before I went to the park and it said that the coaster was pretty good...haha, ERRRR! WRONG! Either their was a 2 minute earthquake going on, or the coaster was jackhammering as if it were trying to shake the rider's brains loose. Plus, the seatbelt buckle was digging into my thigh! OUCH!

Psyclone... I had a less painful experience throwing myself against the wall outside the station repeatedly face first than I did riding it. X was pretty painful on the outsides too. Grizzly @ CGA, I dont what pissed me off more- it being slow or it being painful, yeah both. I hate that thing and every ride on it sucks, but I ride it anyway.

Ha, it's funny that I was just browsing a the exact same topic on another coaster forum before logging on here. Over the years, I have become more desensitized th the pain of head banging so it doesn't bother me as much. I remember one particular ride on Kong at SFDK back in 2001 resulted in my friend and I coming off with headaches and bloody ears. The ride has since improved. The following year at CGA, Vortex battered me around like a jackhammer and left me with a headache, only to ride Demon and Invertigo and have it get worse. Vortex should burn and Invertigo should be replaced by a Deja Vu. Wishful thinking, I know. I never got a chance to ride Psyclone so I can't participate in bashing of that, but I can stand up for Flashback since that was a good experience for me; contradictory to what I've heard about it.