TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Worst Coaster Experience

^Superman: Ultimate Escape at Geauga Lake did have a retractable floor. I assume it was eliminated on the other impulse coasters to cut down on costs of construction and maintenence. Does it still have a retractable floor after being relocated to Dorney?

It doesn't have a retractable floor, you have to do a hop to get up in the seats.

• Replies 344
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The time on Drachen Fire I thought maybe I broke my neck. I loved the ride, especially the "our own private coaster" aspect that often occurred. The biggest problem with the ride was the big piece of steel covered with about 1/2 mm of rubber right at jawbone level for the midsize rider. There were other problems, but this was so obvious and easily correctable it shouldn't have ever even opened that way.

• 11 months later...

Okay, I have another bad coaster experience and it happened at Wisconsin Dells. I was riding their coaster at Timber Falls Adventure Park and I paid for a wristband that included unlimited golf, unlimited rides on both bumper boats and log flumes, and five rides on the coaster. The roller coaster was the first thing I did and I rode up in front.

That thing was rough, and at one point I bumped my knee hard against the front panel. The other attractions were fine, but I would ride the roller coaster two more times, but with a few hours in between rides to help me recover. Compared to this coaster, all the other coasters located in Mt. Olympus were much smoother, especially Hades 360.

Okay, I have another bad coaster experience and it happened at Wisconsin Dells. I was riding their coaster at Timber Falls Adventure Park and I paid for a wristband that included unlimited golf, unlimited rides on both bumper boats and log flumes, and five rides on the coaster. The roller coaster was the first thing I did and I rode up in front.

That thing was rough, and at one point I bumped my knee hard against the front panel. The other attractions were fine, but I would ride the roller coaster two more times, but with a few hours in between rides to help me recover. Compared to this coaster, all the other coasters located in Mt. Olympus were much smoother, especially Hades 360.

Hellcat. I rode it ( 30 ) times in one day this year. The last few rides tested out my leg strength. On one of the last few rides my body was thrashing back and forth as my legs could no longer take it. That is not to say it is not a great ride. At times it is my favorite wooden roller coaster that I have been on. When it's running rough not so much so.

The one time I went to Cedar Point I both bashed my new industrial ear piercing on Raptor going through the cobra roll, and got the worst leg cramp of my life on Mantis. Which is strange because CGA is my home park and I wouldn't necessarily call either of those more intense than Top Gun or Vortex.

My by far worst ever coaster experience was on a ride I normally like.

Having a migraine kick in mid ride will ruin any coaster. I dealt with that while riding Tatsu. One second I was enjoying the ride, but right after exiting the pretzel loop my vision immediately went out of whack. I have ridden Tatsu 30-40 times since it has opened, and I could not even tell whether I was still in the barrel roll or on the the last helix at any point after the migraine kicked in. Once they lowered the seats, I felt like I was about to faint. I could barely walk down the exit stairs without tripping. After sitting in the shade for an hour while slowly drinking water, but this did not help. Eventually, I just decided to head back home, though I find it to be a miracle that I was able to drive safely under the conditions I was in.

2003 we were at SFNO and riding the Zydeco Scream (Vekoma Boomerang). Had rode it numerous times and never had any issues. This time we decided to ride in the last seat. Made the outing trip just fine including the back jarring 2nd chain catch which was nothing unusual. The return trip was fun until we came through the station wide open and the station brakes never activated. We made it a good ways up the first hill, dropped back into the station at a good rate of speed. Fast enough the brakes couldn't stop us in the station. We ended up going partially through the cobra roll and then headed back to the station (so we thought). The brakes ended up being shut and we didn't make it into the station. The first car or two made it, but us being in the last car, we were in the drop-out of the cobra roll in a uncomfortable inclined (almost vertical) position. That would have been fine and dandy, but they couldn't figure out how to unlock the station brakes. It took quite a while to get maintenance out there while we were baking in the New Orleans July humid heat with our bodies pressed up against the shoulder harnesses. That was the worst 35 minutes I have ever spent on a coaster or even waiting in line for one.

But we did get free dinner that day!

Most rides you see at county fairs are from extremely sketchy to okay at best, and unless it's a Schwarzkopf, the roller coasters are usually the sketchiest of the bunch. Rusted tracks, coupled with the constant swaying of the ride itself (as in the entire track), made me extremely uneasy once I boarded. Now granted, Giant Dipper isn't really all that different except that it's made of wood... and actually has some decent structure, but an experience similar to that would've been fine.

Unfortunately, I was the fat guy of our three-person whirling dervish of death that was called the Crazy Mouse. Easily the worst thing I ever did for $3.

My worst coaster experience was at Thorpe Park fright nights last year on the front row of Colossus. As soon as we got on the train the heavens opened and the rain was the hardest possible... And in England thats alot... With the roughness of Colossus anyway the rain made it twice as painful...

I could go with some of the obvious ones here (i.e. Green Lantern, Son of Beast, Boomerangs, etc.), but I think the absolute worst was Ninja at Six Flags St. Louis. I was in the magic seat and it was still incredibly awful. The worst part was it was my #300, so I always have to remember the experience!

Speaking of H*** on Earth, Raptor, a B&M Invert turned into a Vekoma SLC itself when I rode it back in may. I sat all the way on the left in the front car. I did it because there were a couple taking the 2 left seats, so I gave them space. I never expected deep fried H*** on a stick! (Just giving my honest thoughts.(Now I know what Alpengeist is like(Sort of)))

EDIT: Added this image. Don't sit here!

dont.jpg.75f8995e82e55f666a933c46201e641c.jpg

I think I ended up in that exact seat more often than not on our 3 day trip to Cedar Point last weekend.

The ride was amazing as always and headbanging was minimal (and only happened in the cobra roll and the last turn).... I don't get why people think Raptor is rough. Raptor is everything an awesome invert should be... long, forceful and amazingly snappy. Much like Alpengeist I'll take an invert with a snappy cobra roll that knocks your head into the restraint once or twice over a forceless and crappy invert like Silver Bullet. I don't find the 1 or 2 moments of headbanging on Raptor to be painful anyway... usually it just makes us laugh. The restraint has a lot of give and it's not really that jarring.

To each his own though, shorter lines for me. if you thought Raptor was rough I hope you didn't ride Corkscrew.

I think I ended up in that exact seat more often than not on our 3 day trip to Cedar Point last weekend.

The ride was amazing as always and headbanging was minimal (and only happened in the cobra roll and the last turn).... I don't get why people think Raptor is rough. Raptor is everything an awesome invert should be... long, forceful and amazingly snappy. Much like Alpengeist I'll take an invert with a snappy cobra roll that knocks your head into the restraint once or twice over a smooth and crappy invert like Silver Bullet. I don't find the 1 or 2 moments of headbanging on Raptor to be painful anyway... usually it just makes us laugh. The restraint has a lot of give and it's not really that jarring.

To each his own though, shorter lines for me. if you thought Raptor was rough I hope you didn't ride Corkscrew.

Same here, I love Raptor, as it is my number one coaster (at least for now, I am going to BGT in a couple days). I never understood why people think that. However, I haven't ridden it since 2012, so I can possibly see it becoming rough.

But what coasterbill said, shorter lines for me.

Manhattan Express in 2003. Hands down the worst ride I have ever been on. Adding insult to injury that it was $13 even back then. It really is every bit of bad that TPR video shows. I showed that whole video to my family a few years after we rode it, and we couldn't stop laughing because we all felt the EXACT same way.

Manhattan Express in 2003. Hands down the worst ride I have ever been on. Adding insult to injury that it was $13 even back then. It really is every bit of bad that TPR video shows. I showed that whole video to my family a few years after we rode it, and we couldn't stop laughing because we all felt the EXACT same way.

I'm assuming that was with the old TOGO trains?

And for those who have ridden it recently, how do the new(er) trains compare?