TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

WDW Rumor: Space Mountain Mission 2

My favorite part of WDW's Space Mountain was standing in the station and looking at the trains going around with their glow-in the dark strips. Loved it.

The feel of the track while riding Space Mountain for me was also a plus. With that feeling of roughness and out-of-control feeling enhanced the ride. For me, it gave the ride a real sense of "in-space-and-dangerous" feeling to it. Disneyland's Space Mountain was fun, but WDW's is on top.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I really hope they enclose the stations from the rest of the ride. I think it makes it too bright in the main part of the ride.

I could see everywhere I was going on SM. Not spacey enough like DL's in my opinion.

I wouldn't mind a completely different lay out. Heck it would be great to have one track, two lifts and a much better ending than a brake run in the main room. (I know this ain't going to happen.)

They could reuse one side of the loading dock and free up the space used by one of the current loading and unloading docks.

To make up the lost amount of que close down the arcade and make some new, really cool sections out of it for the que.

I've been to the Magical Kingdom, but I haven't been on this version of Space Mountain. All I can say is I am much happier with the Space Mountain here at DL after they updated it.

I like it a lot more.

And you compare the versions how? If you haven't been on one of them, you can't.

Whether or not I will be believed this time around, I will offer up what I know...

The ride will close down soon (though after the holiday season is over) to undergo a complete refurbishment. The building will not be de-capped contrary to the above rumor. The entry queue and the station will not be upgraded much aside from some new safety gates, similar to the ones used for the other mountains. Effects-wise, that will be the most minimal aspect of the project, with the star-field projectors already having been upgraded over the last few months (and those new projections are currently in use). The most major aspect of the project is to replace much of the existing track with a new, thicker set of rails to support the weight that the trains will have when the speakers (which Imagineering did a short test of two weeks ago) are installed. With the new rails, the call for a smoother ride, as well as the on-ride audio are both to be answered. The current layout will remain completely intact.

I have also been assured that since Magic Kingdom's VP is not too keen on the seasonal overlays, we won't be seeing any for Space Mountain (a la Ghost Galaxy or Rockin' Space Mountain) anytime soon.

Wow. More "inside" info that can be found all over Disney sites......

I definitely prefer the Orlando Space Mountain to the Anaheim version. This ride is, as others have said, a little bit more wild. And I actually like the painfully corny effects.

An update, however, was inevitable. I guess it's not a bad thing. I'm glad that I'm going in January to get some final cycles in.

Personally, I LOVE it the way it is. To me, I would have gone with the "if it's not broke, don't fix it" theory, but I can deal with a new track/same layout/basic refurb project.

Honestly though, Space Mountain would have been last on my Tomorrowland home improvement list. There's plenty of more pressing issues involved with the "nexus of suck" to attend to first.

^ I found DL Space Mountain to be OK. I think the smoothness probably gave it a higher rating to me then the actual course itself.

I still like WDW's Space Mountain better. The course, the "duelingness" of it. It's a bit rickety, but it's still a lot better than a lot of other rides.

Although I prefer the California version (especially with the onboard music), I hope they keep the original layout in Florida. No sense in another clone--but updating the original and adding onboard sound might just put Florida's version at the top of my list.

I will not believe anything until I see torches and pieces coming out of the building. This has almost happen since, man a long time.

If they do an actual replacement I agree the original layout needs to be kept, or even better yet 2 different layouts with 1 staying original otherwise lets go for a dueling space mountain.

That would be kind of sweet in the dark, with some sort of strobe trigger at near pass.

OK, this is just my opinion, but I found the revamped SM at DL to be a wonderful and painless ride. It was smooth as all get out, and tons of fun. And I happen to love the Paris version, as well, but for different reasons....

Since I trot to Orlando almost every year I can tell you that our beloved East Coast SM really needs some TLC. If they do anything remotely new and fresh I will be tickled pink. New cars? Bring it! A fun soundtrack? Bring it! Enhanced effects? Heck yes! Those wicked glowing gates at load would be awesome!