TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

WDW Rumor: Space Mountain Mission 2

Post from Screamscape.com

2008 to 2009 - Space Mountain: Mission 2 - Rumor - (11/27/07) The latest buzz about the upcoming Space Mountain rehab claims that “Mission 2” has been given the green light and that it looks like they will likely be gutting the entire inside of the mountain and rebuilding the ride from scratch. A possible plan to speed up the process may be to remove the “top” of the mountain itself to allow for the removal of the old ride more quickly and in much larger pieces than what would normally be able to fit through the 22 ft tall back door. The funny part of the this story however is that in much the same fashion that they put up covered scaffolding around the buildings in Epcot when they go under rehab, painted to look like how the exterior should look, they are considering a similar tactic for the top of Space Mountain to help hide the bald spot if they remove it.

How does everyone feel about this? I actually love the way Space Mountain is at WDW.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I would be totally fine with this provided they do not change the design of the ride. I would be ok with them adding new effects, new trains with music, and re-building the track from the ground up based on the current layout.

If they were to completely change the ride and put in Disneyland or HKDL's version, that to me would be a step back.

While the Disneyland version is better in terms of "show" I have always felt that WDW's Space Mountain is the better of the two "rides."

Florida's has a much more interesting layout and it has quite a few moments of airtime and if they could make that version smoother with new effects, that would be really amazing. I also do not think that Space Mountain needs inversions to be a better ride.

The California/Hong Kong/Tokyo versions are all "fun", but I don't go out of my way to ride them. As it is now, Space Mountain is one of the "must ride" attractions in Florida for me, and it's because of the layout of the ride.

Personally of the three cloned versions I prefer Hong Kong's. It had the best effects and was the smoothest of the three. So if there was a change I guess I would welcome that one the most, but I would really like to see the layout of Florida's stay the same, stay unique, and still be the BEST!

That's my take on it!

--Robb

This has pretty much already been dispelled. They aren't taking the top off. That's the most ludicrious thing I've ever heard of. I'd think that would seriously compromise the structure. Besides, they have a 22 foot door in the back. How big of a hole do they really need?

I can see new cars, ala the Matterhorn, some track work, and updated effects. That's about it.

While I really like the new efx and smoother ride of DL's, I really miss the little pops of air you used to get on the upswings in the front row. Was really disappointed the airtime was purposely designed (or trimmed?) out of the new version, but a smoother, less abrupt ride experience for the GP is what they were probably going for. Have a bad feeling they may do the same for WDW's too. At least they kept the strong +G's on the lower track, one of my most favorite finales of any coaster.

I always thought that if they gutted it at some point to replace all of track that they should replace one side exactly as it is now (with new trains/sound/effects/etc.) and then do a whole new second side that was more along the lines of Space Mountain at Paris (launching/inversions/high thrills/etc.) That way you could have two rides with different intensities, one for the family and one for the thrill seekers. And market it as such with names like Space Mountain: Galaxy Quest (family-friendly version) and Space Mountain: Hyperspace Blastoff (thrill-seeker version). Or something. The building is certainly large enough to support two different versions.

They already have two loading and unloading areas.

Post from Screamscape.com

A possible plan to speed up the process may be to remove the “top” of the mountain itself to allow for the removal of the old ride more quickly and in much larger pieces than what would normally be able to fit through the 22 ft tall back door.

lol...Screamscape.

^Thanks for those pictures.

It sounded a little off to me that they would do that just to remove pieces of the track. It doesn't really make sense either.

I mean, instead of rolling pieces out the back door its easier to lift each one out?

I've been to the Magical Kingdom, but I haven't been on this version of Space Mountain. All I can say is I am much happier with the Space Mountain here at DL after they updated it.

I like it a lot more.

Whether or not I will be believed this time around, I will offer up what I know...

The ride will close down soon (though after the holiday season is over) to undergo a complete refurbishment. The building will not be de-capped contrary to the above rumor. The entry queue and the station will not be upgraded much aside from some new safety gates, similar to the ones used for the other mountains. Effects-wise, that will be the most minimal aspect of the project, with the star-field projectors already having been upgraded over the last few months (and those new projections are currently in use). The most major aspect of the project is to replace much of the existing track with a new, thicker set of rails to support the weight that the trains will have when the speakers (which Imagineering did a short test of two weeks ago) are installed. With the new rails, the call for a smoother ride, as well as the on-ride audio are both to be answered. The current layout will remain completely intact.

I have also been assured that since Magic Kingdom's VP is not too keen on the seasonal overlays, we won't be seeing any for Space Mountain (a la Ghost Galaxy or Rockin' Space Mountain) anytime soon.

im happy with anything they do that fixes its current rough shape... so long as its not as disappointing as SP:M2 in DLRP.... just rode that yesterday and... wow... fun ride minus the vekoma induced concussion... but the effects left much to be desired in all honesty, especially after Cali's refurb. The supernova was well... underwhelming, considering that it was obviously a Screen next to the track.. rather than something more skillfuly executed, or at least better hidden. Some parts were really cool.. others... well.. They made me like Crush's Coaster even more... but ill go over that in a trip report prolly after i get back to the states in a few weeks or on the boat ride back.

I am one who haws always liked DL's version better in every aspect. I think the ride and layout is better, along with the show. Having said that, I would hate to see them change the layout. I think it has always been cool having two completely different Space Mountains as opposed to most of the other rides at WDW and DLR that are basically the same. I would be all for an upgrade in the show quality of the ride, but nothing more.

In the original versions, I found FL's mountain to be a bit more of a thrill, but Cali's version to be more fun. It gave me giggle fits and I laughed for awhile after leaving the ride. I loved it.

I haven't been on the M2 version yet, and I'm hopeful that the general qualities of Fl's version will remain. I like the tandem seating better than the side-by-side.

Paris' version is crap.

If the track is replaced with smoother and less rickety track and the cars have a little more leg room, then the update pretty much fixes my major issues with the ride. I like the layout but the thing just feels old and creaky.

I'd love to see new effects, especially since WDW actually has the money to do so, but any update is good.

I'm kind of hoping they'll fix the ride, and install an on-board sound system. The only reason why I liked DL's better was because of the sound system. It was pretty awkward riding Space Mountain with no music during the entire ride.

I also though the ending in FL's was weird.

It was like ooooooooo we are stopping in a red tunnel, but not really..........

and we are.........

back in space..........

and finally in the station.

The overall ride was great, but it reminded me strangely of the green Hi-Miler coaster you see at the state fairs.... that seem like there going to break down any second.

Hey, if they make the ride smoother, and fix the ending, and the sound system... then Fl's will rein supreme!

If the track is replaced with smoother and less rickety track and the cars have a little more leg room, then the update pretty much fixes my major issues with the ride. I like the layout but the thing just feels old and creaky.

I'd love to see new effects, especially since WDW actually has the money to do so, but any update is good.

That's how I feel, last December I sat in the last car and it was so rough that I had a headache at the end of the ride and actually was looking forward to the ride ending after the first few turns. It used to be one of my favorite coasters.

The overall ride was great, but it reminded me strangely of the green Hi-Miler coaster you see at the state fairs.... that seem like there going to break down any second.

OMG, I love the Hi-Miler. Any coaster put together temporarily with cotter pins, using a piece of old fire hose for a lap bar, that has MASSIVE airtime, has GOT to be experienced.

They should have a prayer chapel at the station or something, lol.