TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Opryland U.S.A.

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

I DELIVER! With photos! Photos, I might add, that are from 1993 - when I was a wee young lad of but two!

Also, just for reference, besides a couple of photos I was tagged in on Facebook, you fine fellows and fellow-ettes are the first Internets people to gaze upon my face when I was rather young - these photos are quite rare, I say! I was an adorable child, much as I am a suave debonair and exceptionally desirable young man to this day. Who says beauty fades?

opry1.png.969f6a486e5b9041e77cb7a87d65de32.png

I don't know TOO much about these rides; I do recall riding them, though. This photo was labeled 'Opryland 1993.' Seems to be a carousel-type ride of some sort. I'm in the front seat here. I was such a vehicle nerd waaaay back in the day.

opry2.png.f1484424c0fe08e2f4acfbe0db65fe8a.png

One of my favorite photos. Here I am in the front seat of what I think was the Convoy ride. I could easily be mistaken, that was 19 years ago and I've done very little research into the park's rides since then.

opry3.png.40c7999683f1bfdffda7422cd9860c82.png

The same ride as above. This photo makes me really sad, because this particular ride was my favorite amusement park ride EVER until I started getting into coasters when I was 10 or 11 - and the ride is, of course, long gone. I wonder what happened to it... I need to spend 4 seconds looking it up on Wikipedia but lol effort. Oh I was so happy after waiting endlessly for the front seat in that ride, pretending I was driving a truck (or, as I was so big into trains that it was insanity, I probably pretended it was a locomotive) for a few short moments around that track! I would wait for years to go on it again in the next visit, up until the park closed. I would drive my mom, grandmother, and cousin crazy by wanting to get back in line over and over and over to get the front seat yet again. I still have vivid memories of this awesome little ride - though until I found the photos recently, I couldn't recall whether it was at SFOG or Opryland. It was indeed the latter. Good times!

I rode my first inversion at Opryland on the Wabash Cannonball, and that ride was kind of the ride that started my obsession with roller coasters. I also remember the mine-train being a lot of fun, and Chaos being terrifying for a 10 year old. I do wish that park was still around, seems like the kind of place that would have succeed if it had been given a chance.

• 7 months later...

Yes I know there is already an Opryland thread but I want to make sure people see this as I need a quick response. Anyone who rode Rock N' Roller Coaster at Opryland, can you confirm, is the layout at the Great Escape the same as it was at Opryland? I have a debate on another site whether parts of the ride were butchered to make a smaller ride when it came to the Great Escape and park maps and brochures suggest it's the same exact layout but just making sure. Thanks!

^If you know there is already a thread, please take a minute to search for the appropriate thread and post in there. It will still bump it to the top.

Yes I know there is already an Opryland thread but I want to make sure people see this as I need a quick response. Anyone who rode Rock N' Roller Coaster at Opryland, can you confirm, is the layout at the Great Escape the same as it was at Opryland? I have a debate on another site whether parts of the ride were butchered to make a smaller ride when it came to the Great Escape and park maps and brochures suggest it's the same exact layout but just making sure. Thanks!

I haven't been on Canyon Blaster, but from the photos of the ride and the stats listed on RCDB, it is the exact same layout without a doubt.

It's about 98% the same, but they did make it more compact to fit the new footprint. Specifically, the helix goes under a new support, whereas at opryland all the supports in the helix were on the exterior. You can compare the two helixes from RCDB pics. Anywhere in the RCDB pics where you see the cross-ties transition from the very square 90-degree angles to a more curved angle cross-tie, that is all new track that was needed to make it more compact.

Also, the old skid brakes were removed, as were three sets of rotating-tire brakes. The rotating tires were prior to lift #1, prior to lift#2 and on the uphill section going in to the station. There was a third train at Opryland, but it must have been used for parts or sent to another Six Flags. Also, at the top of lift #2 there was a block brake that is no longer there either. You can see how the spine dips down to make room for the hardware, but i rarely saw it used at Opryland. There was more spare train storage on the left which didn't make it to Great Escape either. And the station at GE is set up opposite of Opryland. You boarded the train from the left side of the train (as it exits the station) and the operator was in the back on the unload side. I think it's completely reversed at GE.

At first glance it looks exactly the same, but there were some minor changes.

It's about 98% the same, but they did make it more compact to fit the new footprint. Specifically, the helix goes under a new support, whereas at opryland all the supports in the helix were on the exterior. You can compare the two helixes from RCDB pics. Anywhere in the RCDB pics where you see the cross-ties transition from the very square 90-degree angles to a more curved angle cross-tie, that is all new track that was needed to make it more compact.

Also, the old skid brakes were removed, as were three sets of rotating-tire brakes. The rotating tires were prior to lift #1, prior to lift#2 and on the uphill section going in to the station. There was a third train at Opryland, but it must have been used for parts or sent to another Six Flags. Also, at the top of lift #2 there was a block brake that is no longer there either. You can see how the spine dips down to make room for the hardware, but i rarely saw it used at Opryland. There was more spare train storage on the left which didn't make it to Great Escape either. And the station at GE is set up opposite of Opryland. You boarded the train from the left side of the train (as it exits the station) and the operator was in the back on the unload side. I think it's completely reversed at GE.

At first glance it looks exactly the same, but there were some minor changes.

Thanks for all that! Yeah, i knew about the structural changes and the brakes, but didn't know about the tires, or the block brake. I just wasn't familiar if it was the same layout or not because of what other people have said. As for the 3rd train, nobody seems to know about it. Thats all we know is that the ride was intended to run with 2 trains at TGE. The ride ran with the blue train for a SHORT amount of time and the blue train was put on the transfer and replaced with the tan train. We think the tan train is a rebuilt version of the blue and red and tan combined after they had train problems. To this day, after the blue train was taken off the circuit, that has never been seen either. Weird. As for the station, you board from the left side (from the way it goes out of the station), and the operator is at the front on the same side as the entrance.

• 5 months later...

So I wanted to take a moment to post in this thread. Growing up in Nashville I have many fond memories of the park. Every year from the age of 13 I got a season pass for Christmas. Back then it was nothing to drop off a 13 year old kid at the park alone. I spent almost every Sunday afternoon at the park from open of season to close. For the few of you who only went once, you indeed did miss a great little place. Although it has been gone from our lives for 16 years I still can smell the grease from the Little Deuce Coupe, and the wood buildings of the Dulcimer splash ( Originally Flume Zoom).

Although I have now read most of the posts in this thread, I would have loved to see the park thriving today. Alas it would be less than it was then now. With Dollywood ever growing, Holiday World just a few hours from Nashville, the park locked in its location with no room to grow. Today it may have been closed anyway. The park served its time, and people that visited it well. Providing fun for all who entered. I had my first kiss on the Sky Ride over the park, I rode the Grizzly River Rampage in 30 degree weather ( not smart I know, but so worth it. I had the boat to myself ). I saw them build Hangman from the ground up, and watched the Barnstormers come down. I remember the Angle Inn and the Flip Side theater. Rock-n-Roller coaster was my first coaster, and Walbash Cannonball was my first looping coaster. I remember to this day how I got tricked into riding it. ( I was 8 and scared to death of it. My mom went to ride it. My aunt watching me while we waited. I got scared and wanted to be with my mom. So my aunt walked me up the line, and to the station. My mom was just coming back in and unloading from the car. My Aunt said we have to cross the car to get to her. She got in and sat down. She then said Sit down, we have to sit. I panicked but sat down and they locked me in. The rest is history, and now I am a coaster fan.)

Chaos came in as killer technology with clocks and fire, went out as a tin foil spaceship and a dragon. The Grizzly dried up and was transformed into Chaos Industries haunted attraction.

The finally Christmas in the park was here and all the lights sparkled, but somehow much dimmer. In the Lakeside area they set up a shop selling off all the old signs and souvenirs were all 50% off. We got to rock around the Christmas tree one last time in the Little Deuce Coupe. I had my picture made in a Rock-n-Roller Coaster car sitting under the Hangman sign. Flashbacks of family photos on the Raft Ride that was once where the Old Mill Scream stood. Pictures of the zoo area, turned into the Screaming Delta Demon. That Christmas morning I woke to some amazing treats. I was gifted parts of the park, that was auctioned off. I own a few signs that once hung in the park, as well as quite a bit of old items including a watch.

So yeah, that is my long ass story of my life and times with the park. It was always a family tradition, and became like a second home. As you can see I watched it span and grow, and fall apart. Sure it would be great to have it back, but would it be worth the keeping now? Would it have fallen so far behind the coaster race that it was just a place that would have went out on a sour note. No, it went out on a high note, leaving behind great memories of what was, not of what it may have become.

^Thanks for posting that. It's funny because yesterday I was looking at pictures of Opryland, trying to get an idea of what this park was like. From what I've seen and heard, it seemed like a great park with a nice collection of rides and entertainment. I wish this place was still around.

^Thanks for posting that. It's funny because yesterday I was looking at pictures of Opryland, trying to get an idea of what this park was like. From what I've seen and heard, it seemed like a great park with a nice collection of rides and entertainment. I wish this place was still around.

It was a great little place, with quite a lot of fans. I recommend looking at www.thrillhunter.com

He has compiled a huge selection of stuff to give you a better idea of what was there.

• 7 months later...

What does everyone think about the new rumor that Gaylord is building something possibly called "Opry Walk" or "Opry Town" featuring rides and a wooden coaster between the Opry House and the hotel? It was posted on Screamscape and is just a rumor at this time, but the concept art looks cool.

It would be nice to see them do something in that area.Opryland was a great Park and good for the Area. I was sad to hear the news that we were closing when I worked at the Park. That Christmas was a sad time of the year, I remember after the news the park was closing we had to find home for all the Animals in the Zoo. Hated saying goodbye to my Goats, Deer, " Nipper" one of our Gibbons and all the other Animals. I had grown to Love them, working with them day after day for years, it was a Very Sad Goodbye.

Speaking of finding homes I wished that all of Opryland's ride (except for Hangman and Rock 'n Roller Coaster) had been relocated to other parks where they can operate for years to come instead of being scrapped!

Speaking of finding homes I wished that all of Opryland's ride (except for Hangman and Rock 'n Roller Coaster) had been relocated to other parks where they can operate for years to come instead of being scrapped!

Their Tin Lizzy cars are still going at Kentucky Kingdom

Maybe Gaylord could get the rides from Hard Rock/Freestyle park for "Opry Walk"!

I've thought for awhile that Nashville would've been the perfect place for a Hard Rock Park. Music City, Hello!

I was thinking the same thing! Nashville would be a good place for a music theme park with a big Emphasis on country music!

When did Kentucky Kingdom get Opryland's Tin Lizzys?

When Opryland closed Premier bought all the rides. Most went in storage in Indiana, but they took the Tin Lizzy cars to Kentucky Kingdom, so they have been there since 1998.

Maybe Gaylord could get the rides from Hard Rock/Freestyle park for "Opry Walk"!

I've thought for awhile that Nashville would've been the perfect place for a Hard Rock Park. Music City, Hello!

It's been a no-brainer for years since OL closed. We have incredible tourism really all year long. People love music and come here to experience it. IF IF we get a wooden coaster I'd be surprised but would love either an Intamin or RMC...not holding breath though.