TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Nürburgring launched coaster

It's not like S&S chose to build this coaster for F1. It's what they were paid to do. If Company X gets paid X$...and X$ is high enough to catch Company X's attention, the company will build whatever their client wants.

Hopefully the issues with the launch that doomed Hypersonic were addressed and fixed. I don't think the client would go with S&S if the problems weren't adjusted somehow--they might as well have just gone with Intamin otherwise.

Very good point, I never thought of it that way. I don't think Intamin has the ability to make that fast of a launch coaster though, S&S may have been their only option. As for atem, 4 dimension coasters are not made often because they cost a whole lot of cash, not necessarily because of maintenance problems.

• Replies 703
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you guy want to see it watch the speed channel F1 race or tape it because you can see it and it looks really good

Note:It on at 2am that why you should tape it

All this ride does is demonstrate the acceleration of a drag race. In my opinion, this ride should be called Top Thrill Dragster, since the original one does a hell of a lot more.

From the video a couple of pages back, the ride starts to slow down and head back as soon as the launch is over - the test video more than a few pages back does show it flys - but the cheapest component of this ride is length, and you'd think after going through all the expense, they'd figure out a way to go around the facility, more like a real F1 race, and offer a ride experience of at least 1 minute.

Am I reading the chart above correctly? The top speed is achieved 200 meters into the ride, then you start slowing down at 450 meters and then reaching the top of the turn-around at around 700 meters?

I think this ride will be one big disappointment. Have they published the price yet for it's 500 meters of potential thrills ?

You have to remember this isn't a coaster just for a coaster sake like at an amusement park. The whole point of this ride is to simulate a F1 race car taking off (which also slow down immediately). Personally I've never seen a race car go up 400+ feet after they take off down the speedway. I also seem to remember reading or hearing that S&S pretty much convinced them to add that turnaround so it would a little more fun (hearsay, all of it!) and do a little more then just launch-brake-return which was a big complaint from most of the enthusiasts (go back and read through this thread) seriously, go look at page 9 for an early layout, sans fun twisty turnaround.

The only fail I see in this thread are some of the people who are posting, good lord what makes this ride an automatic failure!? Because it doesn't do what you want it to as opposed to doing what the people actually paying for the ride want it too? If they wanted a higher capacity ride they would have went with the company that would have gave them a higher capacity, or like Powder Keg, they could have went with full multi-car trains. And obviously they (meaning the RACE TRACK, NOT AMUSEMENT PARK) didn't want more track or it would have it.

Unless you are paying for it, their shouldn't be the level of criticism that some of you are displaying. It's one thing to express disappointment, it's quite another to call it failure when it hasn't even been open a week! Let's see how this does on an actual race day and see if it'll hold up, and if the lines will be supremely massive and people complain and want their money back since it's so short and doesn't go 500' in the air or have 12 inversions (for reference, indeed my eyes are rolling at this point).

This is S&S's fourth launch coaster correct? Aside from the problem's Hypersonic XLC had (which is the same situation as Intamin and Xcelerator with the actual prototype system that was used at the factory became a part of the ride), do the other two systems face a lot of down time? I would assume that S&S has learned quite a bit since then as has Intamin with their Hydraulic and Premier with their LIMs. Either way I'll wait a few months to see how this thing is doing to determine whether it is a failure or not.

Another thing is this isn't the only coaster S&S has made this year, it also has Tranan and Mumbo Jumbo so it's not like this is the last chance for S&S and the company will go belly up if this coaster has a few issues. I'm sure they are also busy with all the support they are doing for all the Arrow rides out their already, plus any future coasters in the works.

You have to remember this isn't a coaster just for a coaster sake like at an amusement park. The whole point of this ride is to simulate a F1 race car taking off (which also slow down immediately). Personally I've never seen a race car go up 400+ feet after they take off down the speedway. I also seem to remember reading or hearing that S&S pretty much convinced them to add that turnaround so it would a little more fun (hearsay, all of it!) and do a little more then just launch-brake-return which was a big complaint from most of the enthusiasts (go back and read through this thread) seriously, go look at page 9 for an early layout, sans fun twisty turnaround.

The only fail I see in this thread are some of the people who are posting, good lord what makes this ride an automatic failure!? Because it doesn't do what you want it to as opposed to doing what the people actually paying for the ride want it too? If they wanted a higher capacity ride they would have went with the company that would have gave them a higher capacity, or like Powder Keg, they could have went with full multi-car trains. And obviously they (meaning the RACE TRACK, NOT AMUSEMENT PARK) didn't want more track or it would have it.

Unless you are paying for it, their shouldn't be the level of criticism that some of you are displaying. It's one thing to express disappointment, it's quite another to call it failure when it hasn't even been open a week! Let's see how this does on an actual race day and see if it'll hold up, and if the lines will be supremely massive and people complain and want their money back since it's so short and doesn't go 500' in the air or have 12 inversions (for reference, indeed my eyes are rolling at this point).

This is S&S's fourth launch coaster correct? Aside from the problem's Hypersonic XLC had (which is the same situation as Intamin and Xcelerator with the actual prototype system that was used at the factory became a part of the ride), do the other two systems face a lot of down time? I would assume that S&S has learned quite a bit since then as has Intamin with their Hydraulic and Premier with their LIMs. Either way I'll wait a few months to see how this thing is doing to determine whether it is a failure or not.

Another thing is this isn't the only coaster S&S has made this year, it also has Tranan and Mumbo Jumbo so it's not like this is the last chance for S&S and the company will go belly up if this coaster has a few issues. I'm sure they are also busy with all the support they are doing for all the Arrow rides out their already, plus any future coasters in the works.

I agree, you can't critisize something being built unless two things, you know for a fact that their doing something wrong and two, your paying for it.

^^B&M coasters cost a lot of cash too, the difference? Reliability, although with the 3g trains they're getting better with it

B&M Hypers (i.e. Diamondback) cost 22 million. 4 dimension coasters (i.e. X/X2) costs 46 million. Sources are rcdb and wikipedia.

Insane, which does 4D much better than X/X2, cost only $7 million according to rcdb.

But that's not what Nurburgring wanted. They wanted something to simulate an F1 vehicle.

Here's what was said on the BBC as Tom's already mentioned:

"I'm afraid I'm not going to get on the new Nurburgring rollercoaster today, Caroline. But Michael Schumacher is going to be one of the celebs on its first run before the start of the race. The organisers claim it is the 'prospectively (sic) the fastest rollercoaster in the world'. Apparently, it reaches its top speed of 217km/h (135mph) in 2.5 seconds. That's fast even for Michael."

From here

Edit : Also, the Formula 1 website have a picture of this first run with Schumacher on-board @ www.formula1.com/gallery/race/2009/814/general/sunday.html

^^B&M coasters cost a lot of cash too, the difference? Reliability, although with the 3g trains they're getting better with it

B&M Hypers (i.e. Diamondback) cost 22 million. 4 dimension coasters (i.e. X/X2) costs 46 million. Sources are rcdb and wikipedia.

Insane, which does 4D much better than X/X2, cost only $7 million according to rcdb.

But that's not what Nurburgring wanted. They wanted something to simulate an F1 vehicle.

I am fairly certain Insane isn't classed as a 4D as it free swings, to be in the "4th Dimension" it needs to be controlled, otherwise it is just free rotational?

Just my opinion.

RCDB and the official website say "under construction" and "coming this summer", respectively. Can we even confirm it has opened to the public?

^^The launch in the video seems a little slower than 2.5 seconds. Am I wrong? It looks like it starts at 3:21 and ends around 3:25.

^I would agree in a sense. It is just a typical mouse coaster tipped vertically, not necessarily a new coaster by any means.

I think this looks exciting. I mean just the thrill of being in the front seat getting hurtled down a track at 134mph sounds great.

I read a few of the other posts, and yea I am going to be that person right now to touch on the complaints even more. I hope I'm not killing it. Haha.

1st off, this isn't getting installed in a theme park so why would they install something über insane and twisted? It's at a race track so respectably, you'd install something to simulate a race which is exactly what this thing does: extreme acceleration to cheek-flapping speeds while staying relatively flat and close to the ground.... for the most part. Also, yea there is some lost potential that this ride has, but again, the objective clearly was speed and they did that.

^^^ And if you watch that video right at 00:22 there is an aerial shot of the turnaround section. I'm sorry, but it doesn't look like the ride had a huge footprint to work with in that small square shaped plot. If it didn't have those brakes after the launch, I see it would have been very difficult to design something to turnaround in that small footprint. I doubt they wanted a TTD kind of situation, meaning using all that speed to go up a 500' tophat and shoot down. Just cause the ride has truckloads of speed does not mean the track has to shoot up into the stratosphere.

Also on the brakes after to the launch... is it just me or does it just seem all to similar to Maverick's situation? Launched to 72mph only to hit the brakes on the following hill? That situation seems almost exact. It makes you ask the question: Why not just launch it to the speed where the brakes aren't required? I don't know Mavericks reasoning on the "launch into brakes", but for this, we once again come back to high speed. In the speed chart on pg 34 of this topic, it hits the turnaround at what looks to be 110km/h or roughly 68mph..... hmmm, I think having an F1 themed ride get to a max speed of about 70mph to hit the turnaround would cause a whole bunch more debate than this.

I just don't see what the epic failure of this attraction is either. The thing barely has even opened. And by comparing this new launched coaster to either Dodonpa or Hypersonic (which mind you both opened 8 years ago) makes no sense. Yes Hypersonic was a failure and Dodonpa apparently isn't that great either, but I think now 8 years later when they were asked to build the ring-racer (which has been the 1st time they were asked to install another air-thrust launch coaster since those other 2) that's plenty of time to work out the kinks. You can see the differences already: Different track style, no rubber tires for wheels, and I'm sure they might've worked out what kinks there were in the launch system.

Also, yea capacity sucks, but again, we're not in a theme park here. I don't know how busy the Nürburgring gets, but the guests are there to watch the races, not to get in line for the coaster. I'm sure that now its a "don't miss" attraction, but if I were there, I would watch the races/do whatever and then ride the coaster, not the other way around. The same probably goes for the other guests there.

Well, I think I touched on everything I wanted to say. At this length, I better have. Haha

RCDB and the official website say "under construction" and "coming this summer", respectively. Can we even confirm it has opened to the public?

^^The launch in the video seems a little slower than 2.5 seconds. Am I wrong? It looks like it starts at 3:21 and ends around 3:25.

^I would agree in a sense. It is just a typical mouse coaster tipped vertically, not necessarily a new coaster by any means.

First, its not opened to the public... there is still a lot work to do! It just has a kind of soft opening for some people. It will open with the rest of the park in the middle of august.

And the launch didn`t have the final speed in the video. They just launched it with 130 km/h, for that event. The final speed with over 200 km/h was not yet achieved. So i think its slower than 2,5 seconds.

But the first ride reports said that it is a lot of fun... even with this slow speed. Especially in the front row.

This coaster does indeed accelerate faster than an F1 car on 0 - 135 but you have to remember that the F1 car, atleast those of the V10 era, could keep on accelerating to and possibly over 230 mph. If they really wanted realism, they should have shoved you around a few 5.5 lateral g turns and into a brake run which decelerates you from around 100 to 0 in around two seconds.