TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Nürburgring launched coaster

I find smooth, strong deceleration to be pretty fun and exciting, so IMO it's not wasted speed by any means.

My question is, does S&S just have it in for capacity? 8 seats? I guess it's a small audience upcharge sort of thing and the buyer chose, but still...

• Replies 703
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't consider it beyond the realm of possibility that a park/track owner looks at small capacity as actually a good thing since people mistakingly perceive a ride's popularity by how long the wait for the ride is. We know that wait time is a function of capacity and not necessarily popularity, but the average guest doesn't think that hard. So if I was a park owner and I wanted to ensure that my ride be perceived as 'popular' I'd probably go for a smaller capacity coaster.

...but on this style of ride how many people will wait over an hour for a 30 sec experience? I know that this is the problem Kingda Ka has with 3-4 trains. I bypassed TTD simply because of the line being close to two hours.

Based on TTD's line being 2 hours, I'd say there are a lot of people willing to wait over an hour.

Perhaps some of our German, and eastern European friends can shed a little more light on this, but I think some of you are missing the intended role this coaster is hoping to serve.

Maybe I'm off the mark, and correct me if I'm wrong, but the Nurburgring is basically a mecca for German auto racing fans. This new facility they're building is intended to serve the purpose of drawing in more racing fans and day/weekend trippers within a 2 hour driving distance. It's NOT a huge theme park that's already established, like some of you may be thinking.

I'm guessing that the new record breaking coaster will not see 2 hour lines on a consistent basis. Again, maybe I'm off the mark, but I'm imagining this coaster as the "Speed:The Ride" of Nurburgring -possibly an upcharge attraction built to enhance the overall "ring" experience. During days when the "ring" hosts large races, there will probably be more activity around the indoor attractions, but throughout the rest of the operating season, the crowds will be more sporadic.

Again, remember that this facility is geared mostly towards auto racing fans. I doubt a lot of people outside of that audience will go out of their way to ride it more than once or twice.

^Plus if you don't think it will be fun, then don't ride it.

I'm confused though, I thought that the course would consist of just some turns, but the video showed a twisted knot of track at the end of the launch. Is that really how the ride will be, or was it just more of a shock value?

Perhaps some of our German, and eastern European friends can shed a little more light on this, but I think some of you are missing the intended role this coaster is hoping to serve.

Maybe I'm off the mark, and correct me if I'm wrong, but the Nurburgring is basically a mecca for German auto racing fans. This new facility they're building is intended to serve the purpose of drawing in more racing fans and day/weekend trippers within a 2 hour driving distance. It's NOT a huge theme park that's already established, like some of you may be thinking.

I'm guessing that the new record breaking coaster will not see 2 hour lines on a consistent basis. Again, maybe I'm off the mark, but I'm imagining this coaster as the "Speed:The Ride" of Nurburgring -possibly an upcharge attraction built to enhance the overall "ring" experience. During days when the "ring" hosts large races, there will probably be more activity around the indoor attractions, but throughout the rest of the operating season, the crowds will be more sporadic.

Again, remember that this facility is geared mostly towards auto racing fans. I doubt a lot of people outside of that audience will go out of their way to ride it more than once or twice.

That's exactly it.

The fact that it doesnt' contain many coaster elements is missing the point.

Yes, as a 'rollercoaster' it'll be pretty poor. But this ride is all about the experience of high speed, which is what the circuit wants to keep in with its repertoire for high speed thrills.

As an adrenaline rush it'll be great for those who aren't old enough to drive on/are too scared to tackle one of the most fearsome race tracks in the world.

The second half is unfortunate because it's just a slow tour back to the station, but no-one is really gonna care about that, because that first few seconds is what people will remember. If you ever got the chance to ride that G-Force dragster ride which used to be next to Old Town Kissimmee, it's the same sort of idea. Really fast launch, slow down, back to station. Nothing else required.

Scott, you are right on!

I live very very close. And I've seen this track and everything. And I can say, this isn't like a theme park that is trying to attract coaster enthusiasts. This is more an 'extra' for those who come and want to go watch races.

For those who are complaining, please stop, cause honestly there is no reason to get mad. This isn't even a theme park. They are adding an entertainment complex to a racetrack for a little extra enjoyment. And for that region, the closes thing for the people who live around this area is Eifelpark, which many of you probably haven't heard about. Very small and pathetic.

--James

This ride really reminds me of Speed at Nascar Cafe. They both serve almost the same purpose, to satisfy race car junkies and tourists who are looking for a quick thrill like actual racing. If it weren't for the loop, Speed would just be a long track with some slight curves and turns, just like this ride just has one big turn around. The real thrill of both rides can be found in the launch and the extreme speeds, which is fine really, because neither of them are in true amusement parks.

I don't think it should be aloud to hold the record for fastest roller coaster unless it goes that fast almost the entire ride like TTD and KK. It's not going to be fun IMO because it only goes 135 mph for like 1 second then slows down to like 60 mph. This is not a very good design.

^But that's how records work for anything. If it hits a certain speed, that's its top speed, and if that number is higher than any other coaster before it, then it holds the record, even if it slows down to half that speed directly afterwards. It's the same with cars for example. Saying a car produces 1001 horsepower, such as the Bugatti Veyron does, does not mean that the car is constantly producting 1001 horsepower. It makes this much at one single RPM. Just because at every other RPM it produces less horsepower does not mean that it doesn't produce 1001 horsepower.

I don't think it should be aloud to hold the record for fastest roller coaster unless it goes that fast almost the entire ride like TTD and KK. It's not going to be fun IMO because it only goes 135 mph for like 1 second then slows down to like 60 mph. This is not a very good design.

TTD/KK don't maintain their respective top speeds for much longer (if at all) than Ring Racer will...they accelerate for the length of the launch track and immediately start slowing down once they disengage from the launch dog. They don't have trim brakes before the hill like Ring Racer does, but they're still slowing down as soon as they hit the end of the launch. And contrary to the way TTD was advertised when it was announced, I'm pretty sure those type of Intamin rockets don't actually hit their top speed again on the drop.

Personally, I think the forces caused by the rapid deceleration could actually be one of the more fun aspects of the ride.

^Steel isn't a limited resource...

And I fail to see your point. Are kiddie coasters also a waste of steel? Are knives a waste of steel? How about rulers? If so, please inform my school; they are wasting WAY too much steel!

yeah, it won`t be a good coaster but the launch...

but they had other reason why they build it this way! seems so that they first wanted to built an tophat but in this area germany had height limits so that they can`t build it to high, they had to find another solution.... I think if it would looks like kingda ka no one would complain about it.

just wait to ride

^

Actually, my guess of way they cannot build a top hat is because of Spangdalum, which is an Air Force base only maybe 30 minutes away.

The air traffic over this attraction would be dangerous.

I laughed so hard at this. Just because I think they think that TTD and KK goes over 120 for the whole 40 second ride.

Man oh man. This looks like a waste of steel.

And I bet if it wasn't even being build, you would still complain. For the last time, if you read the few last posts. This part of Germany really needs this, even if it isn't the best most awesome design.

--James

Ok, seriously, everyone needs to stop complaining about what this ride isn’t and just look at what its purpose was. This “park” if you will call it, did not ask S&S to go out and build a ride that will overtake Kingda Ka’s speed record. They wanted something fast, meaning a ride that will satisfy race car spectators who want a speed rush, and it just so happened that S&S was capable of engineering rides with speeds excess of 128 mph, so the race track figured they’d get as fast of a ride as they could.

We’re all complaining because this ride doesn’t satisfy us, that’s because it’s not meant to. We’re coaster nerds, and this ride’s target audience is race car geeks. Sure it is a roller coaster none the less, but how else was this race track going to launch people to speeds excess 120 mph?

I know we all think this ride is a one-trick pony, and that’s because it is. Really that doesn’t even mater; because it only has one purpose it does it phenomenally. So really stop criticizing this ride because it takes the record away from KK, or because it doesn’t satisfy all your coaster desires, or whatever.

This ride is what it is, so deal with it, because complaining isn’t working.

Ok, seriously, everyone needs to stop complaining about I know we all think this ride is a one-trick pony, and that’s because it is. Really that doesn’t even mater; because it only has one purpose it does it phenomenally. So really stop criticizing this ride because it takes the record away from KK, or because it doesn’t satisfy all your coaster desires, or whatever.

Amen!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

That looks like...I don't know "odd" track, like the train will go through it "awkwardly". The POV looks very odd and weird, it left me really confused of what the track would be like. Whatever it will be like though, it will be different and I hope it turns out a lot better than they're making it sound.