TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Nürburgring launched coaster

Keep in mind it's a F1 simulation not a coaster.

This can't be repeated enough.

This isn't an amusement park. It's one of the most famous race circuits in the world which is in a battle to win the full rights to host the F1 German Grand Prix. It's got a lame layout because it's not meant to be a kick ass coaster, but instead meant to simulate the experience of driving an F1 car. That is the purpose of having the coaster so close to the track itself. As Robb said, this isn't a reflection of S&S' design skills or lack thereof, but a reflection of what the circuit wanted.

• Replies 703
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought the whole "I can't believe it's just the launch, one hill, then the brakes!" discussion got old in the winter of 2002-2003 when they were building Top Thrill Dragster? Seriously, this is the third speed record breaker in a row that's been like this, I don't see what's so surprising about it.

Also, the amount of trims needed for the hill are going to depend on how fast the coaster hits its top speed. If it's already at top speed halfway down the launch track, it can just coast the rest of the way to the hill and scrub off a bunch of speed that way. Hopefully that's the case and the trims won't be too painful.

Keep in mind it's a F1 simulation not a coaster.

This can't be repeated enough.

This isn't an amusement park. It's one of the most famous race circuits in the world which is in a battle to win the full rights to host the F1 German Grand Prix. It's got a lame layout because it's not meant to be a kick a$$ coaster, but instead meant to simulate the experience of driving an F1 car. That is the purpose of having the coaster so close to the track itself. As Robb said, this isn't a reflection of S&S' design skills or lack thereof, but a reflection of what the circuit wanted.

Can someone please quote this every other page or so? Please.

What's funny to me is that probably 0.0001% of coaster fans will ever even ride the thing, yet the dissection of it continues. Oh well.

I talked to Stan Checketts at IAAPA and he told me that the he and his staff are really excited for this. I was also told that they are only saying 130mph but in fact in might be higher than that.

I think it will be a quality product and will only push developers to make more coasters that will go faster. People are always wanting higher, and faster(maybe not parks but the enthusiast do) and this will just keep on pushing the race for that and new record breaking coasters.

Alot of you out there are complaining but I think its going to be awesome. Maybe a short ride but still faster than anything you ever been on. Look at all the other rides that are similar in caliber. Yeah some of them might be tall too but there is nothing to them at all. Go Fast, Go up, come back down, if your lucky you get a small extra hill.

You're right. It's not at a park it's at the race track. Robb's just saying it's what the client wanted. Obviously S&S has to cater to their clients no matter what's actually possible.

Here's the video again so you don't have to go to S&S' site:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sk9DhnZP2WA

As others have said, it's definitely shorter than I'd like, but the launch will likely become legendary. At least until another coaster passes it. Anybody have an idea where the ceiling is? We've got to be approaching the g-force limits soon right?

From my understanding this coaster is meant to simulate what an F1 car feels like at the start and how it slows down.

Yes its a coaster but its not meant to be a coaster if you get what I mean.

There has been alot of talk about it in F1 papers.

Years ago when Rita opened an F1 driver who went on it was asked what he thought. He said that in order to get a real feel for an F1 car it had to include slowing down, this is what we have with this.

Yes they have used a coaster, but they have just used a coaster type ride. This coaster is not about turns or anything like that, the track owners wanted a ride to show acceleration, speed and braking. As I think Robb said the coaster company probably wanted some turns and the track owners agreed to this, but its not what this ride is about.

Hope you get what I mean.

I will try and scan in the pages later when I get home.

Anybody have an idea where the ceiling is? We've got to be approaching the g-force limits soon right?

Keep in mind, the launch itself will only pull about 2.5 gs. Since the hill doesn't appear to get very steep very fast, this coaster will not come all that close to the "g-force" limit. The "g-force" limit for a roller coaster is just under 5 gs; this is the point at which the average person blacks out.

Yeah, a 2.5G launch, easily the fastest accelerating ride in the world, is nothing major

I think the largest Longitudinal G's (through the back) has to be the B&M pretzel loops. Relative to those elements, Ring Racer should be less intense.

S&S has changed the way they launch rides as not to "punch" launch....it's a bit more gradual lead-in to the major boost.

Well if the ride is anything like Hypersonic I will have to proclaim "worst ride ever" again. I hope for the best but S&S doesn't have the most acclaimed coasters out there for starters.

Ka and TTD are short and I enjoy them ... I am just biased after Hypersonic and my local j2/Hellcat or whatever it is named now.

Yeah, a 2.5G launch, easily the fastest accelerating ride in the world, is nothing major

Dodonpa have a higher acceleration rate with 2.7 g's.

Could be a good ride, but will probably not be, I still hope that it will be better then the older S&S launchers, due to other trains and a different track type.

The launch will be awesome though.

^ That was my main concern with this ride. I've heard that Dodonpa felt like being punched in the chest, and with S&S going even faster, I'm glad they've actually backed off the acceleration a bit.

This is no different to me than all the other Intamin Rocket record holders, and may in fact be better save for the view from the top. I also like the thought that its more of a simulation of F1 in that you have some insane acceleration on the straightaway and then hard on the brakes before the hairpin. In that respect, the layout is an excellent idea. Definitely an improvement over an oval since I don't think there are any in the F1 circuit, and they're boring anyway. Sure S&S could do more, but for what the client is looking for, I think it works pretty well. I would however much rather have a ride around the circuit in a decent car than ride this coaster.

Man, I can't wait to see construction photos!!!! It was really hard to follow the track layout on the video. From what I can tell, this isn't going to be a huge tower like Top Thrill Dragster, and kingda ka. It seems like it's going to have a giant, smooth turnaround.

Yeah... A giant turn that is about the size of a baseball... Remember the GIANT slow down at the end of the launch... it kills the rest of the ride!

~Matthew