TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Nürburgring launched coaster

• Replies 703
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you wondered how magazines get it wrong, a quote from

http://www.enterf1.com/f1-tickets/F1-Nurburgring-2011-Tickets.asp

"Ring-Racer was meant to open in 2009 but after a few faults, the launch was delayed by 2 years. Ring Racer will accelerate you from 0 to 135 mph in 2.5 seconds! That is double the speed of a F1 car!"

so an F1 car reaches the dizzy speed of 67.5MPH!

• 4 months later...

Latest info (loosely translated from below):

The coaster will not open at all (aka will never run again)

They are cutting hours for the park and reducing the number of staff members.

source

Nürburgring: Formel 1-Angebot liegt auf dem Tisch - Freizeitpark soll kleiner werden

Mainz/Nürburgring - Der Freizeitpark an der Formel-1-Strecke Nürburgring gilt als zu groß. Die Ring-Betreiber wollen ihn verkleinern, um die Pacht zahlen zu können. Rund 140 Stellen sollen wegfallen, in 59 Fällen geht es um Kündigungen.

dpa

Der Freizeitpark am Nürburgring soll nicht nur im Winter abgespeckt werden. "Die nicht rentablen Betriebsteile werden geschlossen", sagte der Sprecher der Nürburgring Automotive GmbH, Karl-Heinz Steinkühler, am Dienstag in Mainz. Das Ringwerk, der Boulevard, das Event-Center und die Arena würden voraussichtlich nicht mehr ständig offen sein, und der Schwerpunkt solle mehr auf Automobil liegen als bisher. Von dem geplanten Abbau von rund 140 Stellen seien nur 59 reine Kündigungen, bei den übrigen liefen Verträge aus. Mit der Achterbahn "Ringracer" kalkuliert die NAG nach Angaben des Sprechers derzeit nicht mehr.

Thema Pacht

Der Nürburgring wird nach Ansicht der Pächter in der reduzierten Form "hochprofitabel" sein. "Die NAG kann die Pacht erwirtschaften", sagte der Sprecher. Die Betreiber hatten zwischenzeitlich geringere Pachtzahlungen für 2012 und 2013 gefordert - in den beiden Jahren soll die Höhe nämlich steigen. Infrastrukturminister Roger Lewentz (SPD) lehnte dies ab, hielt aber ein Nachjustieren in den Verträgen für möglich, falls es nicht um die Pacht geht. In der kommenden Woche ist nach Angaben aus dem Infrastrukturministerium ein Treffen zwischen dem Minister und den Betreibern geplant.

Thema Entlassungen

Die Ankündigung von Entlassungen am Ring hatte in den vergangenen Tagen für Schlagzeilen gesorgt. Die SPD brachte daraufhin eine Neuausschreibung der Verträge ins Gespräch, falls die NAG es nicht schaffe, die Pacht zu erwirtschaften. "Der Nürburgring fährt nicht gegen die Wand", sagte Steinkühler. Vor einigen Wochen hatten die NAG-Manager Kai Richter und Jörg Lindner der Belegschaft ein neues Konzept vorgestellt mit dem Schwerpunkt Auto statt Rummel. Geplant ist unter anderem eine Ausstellung von Rennwagen mit Exklusivnutzung für bestimmte Besitzer an 20 Tagen im Jahr.

Thema Ringracer

Der "Ringracer" als schnellste Achterbahn der Welt sollte vor rund zwei Jahren starten, rollt wegen fehlender Genehmigung aber immer noch nicht. Die frühere SPD-Regierung hatte den Ring mit 330 Millionen Euro ausgebaut. Vor allem im Winter herrscht dort Besuchermangel.

Thema Formel 1

Für die Zukunft der Formel-1-Rennen in der Eifel liegt nach Angaben der Betreiber ein Vorschlag auf dem Tisch. Die Beteiligung des Landes Rheinland-Pfalz sei von rund 13,5 Millionen auf unter 10 Millionen Euro gesunken, sagte Steinkühler. Die Ring-Betreiber hätten im Auftrag des Landes drei Gespräche mit Formel-1-Chefvermarkter Bernie Ecclestone geführt. Der Vorschlag werde nun mit Minister Lewentz besprochen. Lewentz hatte Mitte November von Vorbereitungen gesprochen.

Edited by robbalvey

What a huge bummer for S&S!

The park had hired a local contractor to finish the last bits and to get the ride running again...

So i'm not sure how much S&S will be bummed as they have not been part of this project for over a year (or at least that's how it appears to have been)

Edited by Hhappy

The park had hired a local contractor to finish the last bits and to get the ride running again...

So i'm not sure how much S&S will be bummed as they have not been part of this project for over a year (or at least that's how it appears to have been)

Okay didn't know that, but it doesn't makes it better that the Air-Launchers from S&S seem to have lots of problems, that is at least what i have read.

I'd imagine if Ferrari World does indeed close, the coaster would find life elsewhere. Only thing stopping that would be space constraints, which not being too familiar with the coaster, can't say for sure if it would have.

How about cost to maintain??? The world's fastest coaster isn't going to be cheap to launch every couple of minutes!

Okay didn't know that, but it doesn't makes it better that the Air-Launchers from S&S seem to have lots of problems, that is at least what i have read.

I think S&S would be better off stressing an air-launched coaster along the lines of Powder Keg at Silver Dollar City--now there's a great ride that's worth promoting. These ridiculous "record breakers" really aren't worth the trouble.

Well, I guess the coaster wars cannot go without casualties. I guess Ring Racer is now dead and Formule Rossa maybe on its way out.

I just hope that this doesn't reflect badly on S&S, because despite this minor hiccup the company I feel is one of the best out there.

I don't think this comes as a huge surprise. If anything, it's just nice to have some sort of closure. Just wait till Kingda Ka ends up getting the fastest record back with this not opening and Ferrari World in trouble!

So if you're Six Flags, do you go out and buy a ton of "World's Fastest Coaster" banners and have "World's fastest coaster" commercials or do you take a more classy approach? Personally I'd buy the banners and make the commercials but I'm probably being a douche. lol

I'd imagine if Ferrari World does indeed close, the coaster would find life elsewhere. Only thing stopping that would be space constraints, which not being too familiar with the coaster, can't say for sure if it would have.

How about cost to maintain??? The world's fastest coaster isn't going to be cheap to launch every couple of minutes!

Perhaps, but it's likely that sooner or later a park somewhere will want to build something as fast or faster than this coaster. Rather than pay for something new, they could go used. I don't disagree that cost of operation could and probably will limit the prospective buyers out there- but it shouldn't be assumed that it is something that automatically dooms this coaster to be scrapped.

Of course, this is all assuming the park is indeed on borrowed time.

For all those who are worried about a speed record breaking coaster in the future, stop worrying... B&M will one day come with a launch and make it ... reliable This is a JOKE ! No need to try and explain me how forceless a B&M launch WOULD be and so on. We all can have fun , can't we ?

In a lot of ways, this comes as no surprise; they've been tinkering with RingRacer now for years without an opeing, even to the point of a POV video being shot. It's a case of technology wasn't up to the task of being so over the top.

S&S tried to take two huge steps- with both ending up heading to the scrap heap too early: HyperSonic XLC and now RingRacer. It's not to say that S&S hasn't had some big success with their smaller scale launchers (Powder Keg, that insane looking launcher in China) or with creating new generations of rides, but I hope they realize now: Big steps forward BAD. Small, unique leaps forward GOOD.

I was invited to visit the Nurburgring Race Track July this year to be a passenger in a BMW M5 driven around the ring by a professional driver, a mid-life crisis birthday gift, an experience I'd recommend to any enthusiast seeking "out of control" speed. At one point the back end was made to drift out and we drove in all 3 directions at once over the red/white chicane edges, undertaking another private owned car, doesn't do the tyres much good but it impressed the crowds watching.

P1070755.thumb.jpg.f15c9a9fb2ce49c05954c04d56858f86.jpg

The BMW RingRacer Car

The entrance to the RingºRacer is quite imposing, the car park was over the road connected by a bridge. If you look closely you can see the coaster track to the right of the word "boulevard", the doors are shut

P1070758.thumb.jpg.930ccedb9f940a8fe87050a590b1d77c.jpg

Entrance to Ring Racer

It's not a big coaster, this is 1/3rd of it after the launch run. If you went over this rise at full speed you would black out, it must be heavily braked before it hits this high point, why dont they run it at half speed and not use the braking?

You can't see the launch run of the coaster without spending an eye watering wedge of bucks to get in the visitor center.

P1070764.thumb.jpg.dcf845f9e6b26727fff8ce2cde54ce68.jpg

The only exciting feature of the ride

You can walk through the RingºBoulevard and see the return leg of the coaster here in the boulevard. Can you imagine parts of the coaster dropping off in your latte.

As you can see it was not a busy day

P1070762.thumb.jpg.bb8c2d18b3db114a2d713f930ffac688.jpg

RingºBoulevard

Agent George