TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

What company makes/made the best Stand-up coasters?

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have only been on 2 B&Ms and no Intamins(although Vortex at CGA is pretty close to an Intamin I would think) and no TOGOs, I still think that B&Ms would win. TOGOs kill people and I have only heard bad things about them(except a select few in Japan). The two Beemers I have been on are Mantis and Vortex at CGA.

I thought Mantis was a great ride with minimal to no headbanging when I rode it last year. Vortex was a little rough, but if you stuck your head far enough out, it was a pretty smooth and forceful ride.

Has anyone ever wondered if the first gen. B&M standups are rough because they have trains made by Intamin? If they replaced the trains, maybe the overall ride would be smoother and better.

Having only been on two stand-up coasters, my experience is fairly limited. However, from the two stand-ups I've been on, there has been one TOGO (Skyrider @ PCW) and one B&M (Mantis @ CP). I would actually take Skyrider over Mantis. It has some fun little pops of airtime without being too rough or extreme. Its only downside is that it has really really really reeeeaaallllly long load/dispatch times.

^Agreed, I Love the Hill into the helix and the Bunny Hills at the end!

Mantis was great but it had no airtime! Just loop after loop. Oh the dispatch times were a lot faster too, If togo stand-up's got newer restraint designs then this problem would be solved, but Canadas Wonderland has very in-effichent dispatch times, so that may just be the problem.

Oh and sam06 they are still listed on their website, so I think that they may still be avalible..?

The only stand up I have been in is Mantis. That thing hurts a bit but I liked it. I really can't judge, but B&M seems so have more variety, and elements. I wanna to ask any of you..did they stop making stands up for good?

No, they are still listed for sale on their website. No park has wanted to buy one in a while. GS was the last one built and that was in 1999.

http://www.bolliger-mabillard.com/products/stand_en.aspx

I think that eventually another park is going to build a standup, however I think it's going to be a while. I think that most of the parks that I could see wanting a Standup coaster ended up getting one. Eventually I'm sure another park is going to come around and decide to build one, but I wouldn't expect it anytime soon.

From someone who has ridden many stand-ups, Mantis is probably one of the crappiest out there. It has aged horribly and for some reason is nowhere near as enjoyable as its "sister-coaster", Chang, which resides at one of my home parks. I think stand-up coasters would be tons better if they stopped messing with strange transitions from inversion to inversion, and started including more airtime-filled hills. That is why I prefer the TOGO models. They throw you up in the air, and that is just awesome because you are already standing up!

The only stand up I have been in is Mantis. That thing hurts a bit but I liked it. I really can't judge, but B&M seems so have more variety, and elements. I wanna to ask any of you..did they stop making stands up for good?

That seems to be the case. Parks are probably more interested in other "innovative" B&M varieties like their flyers over their standups. Clearly, building a standup isn't worth it when you can invest in an interesting flyer, invert, floorless or a sitdown. And even B&M knows that their five other types of coasters own the standups any day.

Back on topic, I think that B&Ms are the stand-up winners. The TOGOs can be nice at times, but B&Ms are nice all the time.

• 2 weeks later...

I've never had a good ride on Mantis. Riddlers is the best one I've been on, and for some reason seems like it would take the cake, however I'd love to get on a a TOGO standup. Those restraints look interesting.

Standup coasters were just a gimmick anyway...

• 5 years later...

Let me think...hmm, I guess I'll go with B&M. Ok, make that by a landslide.

I think I'd rank them as: B&M's I like, Cobra (Intamin), B&M's that suck, Shockwave (Togo).

Cobra at La Ronde had a neat little pop of airtime. I remember Shockwave at Kings Dominion as being fairly bad.

Having been on Apocalypse and Shockwave, I'll go with B&M. But I'm particularly not a fan of stand ups, never did like the concept of them. Shockwave left me a nice bruise last time I went on it and I wouldn't miss it one bit if it ever got torn down.