TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

What company makes/made the best Stand-up coasters?

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I only have been on B&M stand up coasters and I have no problem with any one of them except for one. Of course, it's Mantis from Cedar Point. What a killer. Chang is best by far! Vortex at Carowind is not bad.

So I don't have a opinion at this time. But I guess I could say... GO B&M! Not poop... don't get me wrong. LOL

It's odd how Chang and Mantis are so totally different, yet so totally almost the same (mirrored) ride.

Now, as far as my favorite? Iron Wolf - Kind of in the middle of B&M and Intamin.

Don't ask me why, but I love that ride. I also have this thing for Flashback, too - it makes me giggle.

-Josh

I've only ridden three standups: Shock Wave at SFMM (Intamin), Vortex at (P)CGA (first generation B&M), and Riddler's Revenge (second generation B&M). Riddler's Revenge is by far my favorite of the three.

Obviously, I couldn't tell you about the TOGO ones, but I've heard nothing negative about them. Other TOGOs, however, well...different story...

Eric

I fully agree, it is a very short ride. I rode it several years ago and was surprised and how rough it was, especially considering that it is a B&M. However as you said, most of the 1st generation B&M coasters are not holding up as well as the more modern ones.

I don’t know. I really only consider Togo & B&M as designers of the stand up. Intamin’s models where designed by B&M basically if I remember correctly?

If your going to consider Intamin might as well toss in Arrow.

Arrow did have a couple retro fit’s that didn’t work out so well in the early days. Anyone ever ride the Arrow stand-ups before they had to be taken down? Also wondered how they where for setup, prob. similar to Togo’s.

As for which is better for design, flow, and safety B&M hands down.

Then again Togo stand-ups are really good at weeding out/taking out stupid people, and seem to be supportive of population control at times.

(Mantis is not that bad if, you ride row 1-5. Closer to the front better, and actually stand up properly.)

I don't care for stand-ups as a group, but the only one I can say that I liked (and that quite a bit) was "Milky Way" (or "Fujin Rajin") at Mitsui Greenland--airtime that would launch you like a missile were it not for the restraints.

Then again, I've only ridden three other stand-ups (at KD, Carowinds, and Knott California Great America).

B&M.

I really like Mantis, and have no problems with roughness on it. To me it's just a big forceful B&M.

I did still somewhat enjoy SkyRider and Iron Wolf, but got beat up a bit more on them.

I've never ridden an intamin, but there's one sitting in pieces at Darien right now. I doubt it will ever be installed, and that really doesn't bother me one bit.

I've only ridden some B&M's and one Intamin (Shockwave at Drayton Manor). I'm not that big on stand-ups, but I enjoyed Mantis and Scorcher.

Being a guy, I'm not sure if I want to know what a TOGO would be like

I've actually had some good rides on KD's Shockwave in 4-1 lately believe it or not.The only rough part of the layout is that transition going into the helix.

The B&Ms and Intamins are virtually identical. In fact, the two Intamin Stand-Up coasters were created by Bolliger and Mabillard in the 80s before they left Intamin to form B&M. While I haven't ridden Cobra at La Ronde (aka Stand Up at Skara), I did ride Batman: The Escape at SFAW (aka Shockwave at SFMM or SFGA), and I wasn't able to tell in was an Intamin until I got home and checked RCDB. I guess in the end, the nod would have to go to B&M, because the two Intamins were shorter single-inversion coasters.

The TOGOs on the other hand are among the worst steel coasters I have ever ridden, although I've only been on Shockwave at PKD (what is it with Stand-Up coasters being named Shockwave?). I was punched in the jaw by the unpadded steel over-the-shoulder restraints, and my girlfriend came off the ride with her ears bleeding. The first drop and the loop were fine, but the rest was utter crap.

Obviously, I couldn't tell you about the TOGO ones, but I've heard nothing negative about them.

Now you have!