TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Suggestions for 500th coaster?

I'm at 481 and need just 19 more for 500. I want #500 to be noteworthy, not some meh clone.

I could either go big and gnarly, like Led Zep or Farenheit, or I could go campy and pick some tiny kiddie ride somewhere, or I could find something totally unique (like a prototype or homemade coaster). I'm up for suggestions.

Here's the hard part: I'm travelling by car, I've got just a week, and I probably won't have the funds to hit 15 parks to get 19 coasters. I need to maximize the most new coasters per park as possible.

Here's my current list: http://coasterguy.squarespace.com/the-coaster-list/

I'll probably do the West Tx Coaster Roundup this year, which will add a handful of new rides (how many depends on whether the new coasters will be up and running) and I want to take a weekender to Hot Springs to add the X-coaster. So I may only need 13 or so more for the "big trip".

Any ideas?

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you want a prototype, supposedly S&S is installing their first "El Loco" model (Basically a wild mouse type ride performing strange manuevers like inverse 90 degree banked turns) next year at a US park. I have no idea exactly where though.

I'd suggest Flying Turns for #500. A wooden bobsled coaster looks like the definition of a "pure fun" coaster.

If you make Flying Turns #500, you can also easily get 3 additional new-for-2008 coasters on the same trip. Ravine Flyer II at Waldameer, Fahrenheit at Hershey, and Behemoth at Canada's Wonderland. All 4 of those parks are within a very reasonable driving distance of one another.

Need 19

-Missing 2 from Indiana Beach

-Missing 8 from SFGAM (I'm assuming that you've only been on one side of American Eagle because your list doesn't specify which side and for all of the other racing coasters it specify's which side)

-Mt. Olympus gives you 7

-Avalanche at Timber Falls gives you 1

-Little America gives you 4, which puts you over the mark by 3

You can arrange it so that Hades or Avalanche are #500. Usually I try to just ride whatever is the biggest coaster at the park I'm at for a milestone credit. I always take some pictures and maybe buy an onride photo. I do this every 50 credits. Here's what mine are:

-100 Flight of Fear (KI)

-150 Speed

-200 Triple Hurricane

-250 Wild Thing

-300 Motorworld Express (this is a small kiddie coaster at a go cart place)

If you hit the Dells, 500 could be Little Titan (if you can get the ride op to let you ride, it would be a huge milestone or even better, borrow a kid for the credit) or that Wacky Worm thing at Riverview (or the Dragon Wagon!).

If you hit Little Ammericka, and hit 500 there, it should be the Toboggan or the Kiddie Coaster of Death.

I would say if are planning on heading up towards the PA/NJ area, then you could make it one of these 3 rides.

Storm Runner- An awesome Intamin rocket with a nice launch and great airtime.

Kingda Ka- The tallest, fastest roller coaster.

El Toro- Possibly the best wooden coaster ever built, and it does have insane airtime.

It would be helpful if you could provide us with a list of what you already have so we don't suggest something you already have. Ha, just kidding...I say go for Fahrenheit or one of the coasters new for 2008!

Seriously, if I know where I am credit wise (and I usually don't) I try to make it something REALLY CRAPPY!!!

Looks like I'll be going on a Boomerang or SLC for my 100th next summer.

A lot of these are great suggestions. Unfortunately, I live in Houston, so getting up to Behemoth and back in a week isn't really feasible if I also need to visit parks along the way.

I really like the idea of Flying Turns being #500. It would be my only new credit there, but Phoenix and Twister are faves, so it wouldn't be a wasted trip.

I also like the idea of Kingda Ka or El Toro being #500, but am a little bit leery of setting everything up for those two to be #499 and #500 (in whatever order) and finding that Ka is down for the day, screwing up the whole plan. Is it more reliable than it used to be?

I've already got the IT'z credit here. There's a tiny little oval kiddie thing at Zuma, but it's almost never running.

The X-coaster at Magic Springs would be good, but I probably won't wait that long to ride it.

A lot of it is going to depend on the $$$. Welcome to real life.

What is the deal with people who like riding crappy coasters for milestones?

Is there a reason, or just a bad series of luck?

Well, some of it could be bad luck, I suppose... I mean, you don't know what a coaster will be like before you ride it.

But as for the kiddie coasters being milestones, that's often done on purpose. I think it's sorta funny.

Seriously, if I know where I am credit wise (and I usually don't) I try to make it something REALLY CRAPPY!!!

I second that. I make it a goal to make any milestone coaster the sketchiest or crappiest coaster I can find. Milestone coasters for me have included traveling wildcat coasters, Elich's flying coaster, and Manhatten express. Doing a major headliner ride is so cliche, so why not do something unique?

Thinking about it, for such a milestone coaster, there is really only one choice. A coaster that only a handful of people have ever ridden, a coaster that has never had a formal safety inspection, a coaster that is completely unique and whose manufacturer has only made one other ride, a coaster so small that it fits in a back yard. Yes, I am talking about John Ivers' Blue Flash (or Blue Too if you've already done Blue Flash) that he built in his back yard in Indiana.

I'm sure that John would be happy to help you celebrate such a milestone, and I can't think of a more unique way to do it.

For John's contact information, see http://www.negative-g.com/BlueFlash/February2002/Blue-Flash-2002-2-8.html

I also like the idea of Kingda Ka or El Toro being #500, but am a little bit leery of setting everything up for those two to be #499 and #500 (in whatever order) and finding that Ka is down for the day, screwing up the whole plan. Is it more reliable than it used to be?

From what I experienced and heard this year Ka was very reliable. I was there on Good Friday and Ka opened once it the wind died down and it ran great all afternoon. I was also there on a saturday in September and it ran 4 trains and it was a 2 train wait for any row and 5 for front. The ride only broke down once and it was for about 10 minutes.

I would say go for the Toro, Ka as 499 and 500. Both rides are reliable now and are both a great rush.

If you want to fill out your list geographically, here in the Pacific Northwest there's a cool Pinfari mini looper at the Oaks in Portland, Oregon, another Windstorm in Seattle, an ACE classic woodie, a unique Wild Mouse, an Arrow and a Miller kiddie coaster at the PNE in Vancouver, BC, a killer triple looper in Edmonton, AB, and the original corkscrew (originally from KBF) and two excellent woodies at Silverwood in ID.

Plus if you're feeling adventurous, there's an Arrow single looper in Calgary, AB and if you time it right during the spring fair or the fall fair, there's another two woodies in Pullayup, WA. Plus there's a couple of mediocre coasters at Enchanted Village in Federal Way, WA.