TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The "Official" IAAPA in Orlando 2007 Thread

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Right on! E3 for theme park designers, developers, owners, and their respective fanboy/girl base. The coaster that uses a ferris wheel instead of a lift hill or induction motor is genius...and a little strange-looking. Question about one of the flats in the pictures: there is one that looks like a windmill with either free-motion seats or the row of seats has flipping motion, like a Top Spin, but the whole thing spins like a windmill. Can anyone tell me what that is called? It looks insane but really cool.

Dinner in The Sky looks great and needs to revolve 360 panoramic at the same time - Of course if I had spent a while in the bar beforehand then the only way I would go up there would be if there was a bathroom in the sky attached, otherwise I'd steer clear of the ground below for sure .

Actually that may not bode well on all counts - yep I'll stick to eating in buildings with plumbing.

That coaster with the Ferris wheel lift looks really bizarre. I wonder what Ferris-wheel-hating coaster enthuiasts will think of it?

I don't hate ferris wheels, it's just the constant loading/unloading that makes them a little intolerable, IMO. As for the ferris wheel lift, I think it's a gimmick that will get old and impractical fast.

apprently one of the coaster in Hard rock park will have that kind of lift

http://www.rcdb.com/id3853.htm

since it's themed to birtish cars appprently i can see where the these would fit in (british cars, london eye) but thats the only way i can see that lift style being used.

Hey Reed & Stacey! I haven't heard from you guys in a long time, how are you doing? I wonder how we managed to miss seeing you at the tradeshow. Went on Tuesday, and Wednesday, did you do the Dinner in the sky? I agree, it seemed like a pretty cool concept, don't know how well it would work though.

-Justin

I too was at the IAAPA show and here are a few more pictures. I sat down with Stan Checketts, the founder and President of S&S, and talked with him about the new X trains.

He told me that the new trains will make for a much improved ride, both maintenance wise and smoother. The total cost for the new trains are running about $6 million. All the wheel components are machine made, which means they are all one solid piece rather than being different pieces of steel welded together. These new wheel housings will make the trains 1/3 lighter and will cut down on most of the maintenance problems they have had in the past.

He also told me that they have come up with a new bushing system that will soften the rotation of the seats and will practically eliminate the vibration felt in the outer seats.

171741298_IAAPA7.jpg.f6030247a21fc5c389a47b9ee82b905d.jpg

Stan Checketts, owner of S&S, arm wrestles Larry Cochran, former Six Flags president. I am not at liberty to say who won.

1612116614_IAAPA3.thumb.jpg.73edd84895dc0b2a7e1b9dd79014046b.jpg

My favorite new flat ride, the Kanga-bounce by Zamperla. Great ejector air time

1240454460_IAAPA8.jpg.be3630e1edbacb71245658897cae6aa4.jpg

969633709_IAAPA2.thumb.jpg.24bd6e3430679ad539f053c7a9124ae0.jpg

1605962852_IAAPA1.thumb.jpg.dd9368cbd403b57b62f1f3f7ce3fd386.jpg

premiers new lift ferris wheel system

1930723202_IAAPA4.thumb.jpg.0c82551fe7f4bff6705a443d620f3e89.jpg

A new crazy contraption from the minds of S&S

2062767901_IAAPA6.jpg.07c37ae9f212e3133c401bbb4da8254d.jpg

another shot of X2 train

589091818_IAAPA5.jpg.d9a35d442bed0b103a072bd223845afa.jpg

The new trains for X2

They have virtual jump rope at Dave and Busters here. I am pretty good at it. The trick is to jump fairly high for the first few while the rope is going around slow, this ensures you will not land too early while the rope is still underneath you. As the rope speeds up, you need to decrese the height that you jump, since you will need to land quick enough to jump again when it starts coming back around really fast. Eventually, when it gets really fast, you're taking TINY little jumps, like 1 inch off the ground.

We wanted to show you guys what we were up to this year at IAAPA so I figured this would be as good a place as any to post. We are happy to say that the Statix line from CoasterDynamix won First Place for best new merchandise! We also had new PTC, Intamin, and B&M Hyper models to show, as well as our representation of a Griffon model. The overall interest was very positive from the parks in the Statix line, and hopefully you will see more models in more parks in the not to distant future! Enjoy the pics.

Wow this looks like loads of fun to go to. I like the ferris wheel lift hill idea, as long as it works well with the theming of the ride. I like the idea of making a life hill more interesting. Don't get me wrong, there is nothing wrong with a standard lift hill, but I think that there could be so much more. It's the one part of a coaster that doesn't see too much innovation. I loved those theme creatures, I hope to see something like that used at a park in the future.

This IAAPA is very cool this year, from what I can tell from pictures on the web. Thanks for the updates, but where's Vekoma, Intamin or Maurer Söhne? Screamscape had a very fun but incomplete report, and there is no update here yet. Don't tell me you didn't visit those stands.....

This IAAPA is very cool this year, from what I can tell from pictures on the web. Thanks for the updates, but where's Vekoma, Intamin or Maurer Söhne? Screamscape had a very fun but incomplete report, and there is no update here yet. Don't tell me you didn't visit those stands.....

We did -- there was really nothing different or exciting at them than what was there in previous years. We generally try and focus on the "random" stuff at IAPPA since the big announcements get so much coverage.

Those new coaster trains for costerdynamix look awesome. Especially the Griffon Model.

Look closely. Though it has the same colours, it's not the same lay-out. I hope your familiar with Griffon's lay-out? Btw, it's indeed a cool model.

We did -- there was really nothing different or exciting at them than what was there in previous years. We generally try and focus on the "random" stuff at IAPPA since the big announcements get so much coverage.

I see. Well, would you still please post the fotos? Because Screamscape didn't had any. Thanks anyway.