TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

I'm getting my wisdom teeth removed.

Natalie - you had gauze packed in your mouth?

Dan - you had to put an ice pack on your face?

I must of had some mind altering drugs back then because I don't remember any of that. I am pretty sure I was swollen, but walking around with gauze in my mouth and an ice pack strapped to my head doesn't ring a bell.

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I must have been one of the lucky few. I honestly don't remember gauze or bleeding, but I remember swelling.

jjeerr - You'll do fine. It's really not that bad. I do recommend taking antibiotics before the surgery though. It will help with infection, I guess some doctors prescribe it, and others don't. I know my dad has to take them before getting his teeth cleaned.

Glad to hear everything is alright, Natalie! It's a huge relief to have it behind you! But watch out - I had mine taken out on Monday and I got a wind of energy on Wednesday where I thought I could do anything and everything I wanted... that's false. Take it easy for a few more days.

In my wisdom teeth removal experience in February I remember waking up for a split second and noticed the oral surgeon violently drilling in my mouth, then all of a sudden I was walking into my mom's car and started cursing the city of Folsom for not having an amusement park

I had my wisdom teeth removed about a year ago. Everyone including my Mom was telling me about how it's better to get them out sooner rather than later, because if you don't the pain will be like 10x worse. Just like the original poster, I was wondering if I could still do my summer coaster trip, too (KI/CP).

They gave me laughing gas to distract me. It was a freakin' awesome sensation, time seems to be in fast forward (though you can still hear the dentist's directions), and it sort of feels like your whole body is having a never-ending orgasm (no other way to describe it ). The only pain I noticed was when they actually start prying the tooth out there's this sort of "cracking" pain that kinda hurts.

It took awhile for that numbing stuff to wear off, I had the gauze in there and was swallowing my blood just like Natalie, but despite doing the constant ice pack changing my right cheek still got really swollen...but it ended up all right.

Overall though it wasn't nearly as bad as I was expecting, I got to ride the coasters of Ohio afterwards, and I'd say I've ridden more painful Arrows and Vekomas!

Well, I have to get my wisdom teeth out tomorrow. I am really not looking foreword to it, especially after hearing other peoples experiences with bleeding and swelling.

^How did it go for you? I'm about 95% healed - still a little stiffness/soreness if I smile super big, but it's really not that noticeable. Now the holes are all I have to worry about. I keep getting food stuck in them, but even with the syringe, I can't seem to get it out. Only brushing seems to work for me.

So I havnt read too many people who have gone roller coastering right after. I have 4 impacted teeth and two days later i will be road triping to cedar point. I have not been we already booked the hotel and yea there really is no turning back, but I have to get my teeth out before school. I have a high tolerance for pain and generally heal fast. Suggestions? I'm going to try and shift our reservations so i have another day to recover but yea suggestions?

^Impacted meaning you're basically going to have surgery in your mouth. I can't even imagine riding roller coasters 2 days after that, fast healer or not. Your oral surgeon will probably even tell you NOT to do that as it could rip out stitches or cause excessive bleeding.

Sorry to be so negative, but it just sounds like a really bad idea, and I'm sure most here will agree.

I need to get my lower wisdom tooth removed because it's coming in sideways! It's weird, there's no pain but the doctor told me that it may put a little pressure on my lower row of teeth in the distant future. On the other hand after reading this thread I'll be in no hurry to remove them for the time being.

After this thread I hope my wisdome teeth grown in alright. My mom's did so I think mine might. I had something done in my mouth that kind of is like what has been descried. I had this retainer thing growing into my gums. So they ripped it out without even telling me. My gum was torn in half and my mouth was full of blood. Most painful thing ever and I have broken a few bones. But having surgery in your mouth sounds horrible, yeck!

From a good oral surgeon (I went to a hella good one), it it's that bad. Really, it isn't bad at all in "pain" areas. Just take the pills every 4 hrs, it isn't that bad.

Really.

But the place I had was really good, well organized, clean, great people, and a cool xray system (where it had a Alien Escape thing over my head and did a 180 degree xray of my mouth... and man the new Stitch ride sucks, but that's another thread)

And do it when you're a teenager, mainly because you don't have to pay for it!

• 4 weeks later...

SO I got all four of my impacted wisdom teeth out! My Dr was AMAZING! He was aware of the fact that i was planning on going to Cedar Point three days after surgery and said it was up to me on how I was feeling, but still didn't like it. Pain was super minimal and I didn't swell hardly at all. I must heal really really fast cuz I was fine!! By the day before I wasn't even taking my pain pills. I rode everything there and was FINE! The only coaster that hurt was the dragster...but 120mph will do that do you lol! No dry sockets and was eating normal food that was softer. However I did swell after the first night of coastering because i couldn't ice my face while at the park. Don't stress about it, just don't get drysockets

I think this is a person to person thing. I've known some people to get it done and have no pain at all. When I got it done I had a lot of swelling and was out of the game for a while. I actually ended up going in twice because my first wisdom tooth was removed when I ended up getting an infection and the Dr. refused to take the other 3 teeth. I had the rest out later.

Want a fun time? When I had the infection they gave me what may have been the largest pills on Earth. Trying to swallowing something the size of Shaq's fist right after having some teeth ripped out is not a good time.

^It can also depend on if your getting your bottom teeth removed. They usually are more painful b/c that is where your mobility in your jaw is located.

I recently had a molar pulled...and had to get an implant with a sinus lift. It took over a year for the whole process (I went through the UMDNJ).

The sinus lift/bone graft was the most painful part...I was swollen for over 2 weeks and had to eat mushy food. Thank god for painkillers! The up side is that I dont feel so redneck-y anymore b/c I have all my teeth.

I discovered 2 days ago while brushing my teeth that my bottom wisdom teeth are growing in. How I discovered this... My mouth started gushing blood as the toothbrush broke through the gum revealing the tooth.

Luckily, my bottom jaw has enough spare room to accommodate them, but my top Jaw has NONE. So looks as if I will be back on here in a couple weeks telling you all the story...

• 1 year later...

I just got mine out! Only two out of three though...apparently the third one is too new to be messed with.

It was SO easy really. Went there, they used a "butterfly needle" type of I.V. that was extremely small...I didn't even feel it and I HATE needles! Yay. I don't remember going to sleep or waking up, but I do remember riding home.

I was a little loopy when I got home, but not too bad. Apparently, they substituted Lortab this time with some other painkiller, so I don't get to experience the legendary wisdom teeth happy pill! Maybe next time lol. My face felt like jello for about an hour...it was funny! The numbing stuff made my lips feel huge lol.

I can feel the stitches touching the sides of my tongue, but I'm probably not supposed to be messing with them with my tongue so I'm not gonna try to feel them.

Anyway, it was super easy! I don't know if it was just that I had a great oral surgeon do it, or if it's really just that easy. Yay! Now I gotta let my mouth heal for a week or so and I'm good to go!

I had my wisdoms removed last year and outside of the extreme dizziness I felt (it really didn't help that I was still trying to get my land legs back from a cruise a few days before), it wasn't that bad TBH.

I was knocked out the first day and I had some pretty severe bleeding right after the surgery, but it died down afterward. I was in bed for the next day, feeling kinda woozy and my mouth felt a little numb for the remainder of the week. My mouth was still kinda sore for a few days and I had trouble eating some foods, but after about two weeks I got used to it.

I got better enough that I was going to New York that weekend.

I had mine removed when I was 18. They were starting to cause two of my other teeth to move slightly out of place, so that was plenty of motivation to hurry up and get them removed. I didn't have any problems after that! I went to work the next morning without any problems. I was buzzed from the pain medication and probably accidentally spit on some customers, but I wasn't in a comatose state or dying from pain!