TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

I'm getting my wisdom teeth removed.

I had four impacted wisdom teeth removed years ago. I was knocked out for the surgery, so obviously I don't remember that part. Afterwards, once I could take all the gauze out of my mouth (that crap tastes awful!), there was a little swelling, but the pain really wasn't all that bad. Everyone has a different reaction, but it's pretty common surgery and you'll likely have no problems, as long as you follow the doctor's instructions and take any medications they give you...

dt

Yeah my reaction was that I looked like Marlon Brando for several days after they removed mine (I waited too long), the worst part was when they cleaned the sockets out about a week later...yes I leaped out of the seat during that one.

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It all depends on if they are impacted or not.

If they're out then it's not much different then pulling normal teeth, and won't hurt too much.

But if they're impacted then they can hurt like hell.

All 4 of mine were impacted. In fact my 12 year molars were half impacted as well. If that wasn't enough, due to having a small jaw all 4 wisdom teeth were flipped(so the top of the teeth were facing toward the front of my mouth).

They had to cut back the gums, crack each tooth in half, and remove them peice by peice. I was awake for the whole thing. It was complete torture.

All Four of mine were impacted, and sure enough on Thanksgiving Break in 2004 I had then taken out. The surgery itself wasn't bad. They gave me laughing gas, and about 5 minutes later I honestly forgot why I was there. I couldn't eat much of anything for about a week, and they told me to refrain from yelling for about a month, but 3 days after I had them out I was at the Georgia Game cheering them on to a 19-13 victory over georgia tech

This probally doesn't help...but my brother had three wisdom teeth removed last year and after words they got infected and his face blew up like a blimp.....sooooo i called him a balloon

If u haven't realized..i'm really nice to him but he is still 6 years older than me

but then I realized how much pain he was in since he couldn't eat and lost 15 pounds........

What I fail to understand is that everyone in my family has their wisdom teeth with the soul exception being my mom, but she had hers removed when she was 22 (I guess average age)...I was 15 (and they said I was the youngest they had seen). Though I did lose 7 pounds over Thanksgiving

• 2 years later...

Well 2 years has passed and instead of going to Disney World for Spring Break I'll be getting 5 wisdom teeth (yes, 5) and one developing baby tooth out...

How did it go from 1 to 6?

I'm not as scared as much as I was two years ago but there's still some things I'm nervous about.

1. IV (had a bad experience once to say the least)

2. My friends are jerks and say the anesthesia will wear off during surgery. Good thing it's about a .0000001% chance.

3. What's this about having no control of what you say afterwards? Don't wanna say something I'll regret, haha.

Other than that it'll be good to have them out becuase they hurt pretty badly.

I wonder if I'll get to keep them...

Well 2 years has passed and instead of going to Disney World for Spring Break I'll be getting 5 wisdom teeth (yes, 5) and one developing baby tooth out...

How is it 5? I thought you only physically have four wisdom teeth?

I had all four of mine pulled, and they were as bad as they could be. But really it wasn't too bad. I was awake for the whole operation though which really sucked.

I had my wisdom teeth taken out last year. My dentist did a great job, I had no swelling and I was put on Vikoden and Ibuprofen for a week. I don't even remember the day after they were taken out. You shouldn't have a problem, do expect some swelling though with it being that many, but hey, you get a week off from everything.

Hubby had is out years ago...He had all 4 removed, 2 of which were impacted and in pieces.

From what I remember, he got to keep 2 of his teeth, 1 normal, and 1 impacted. We still have them lying around somewhere, in an envelope. Never know..LOL

As for the surgery...he had cotton in his mouth for a while, he drooled a lot, lots of it blood. You have to be careful you do not get something called "dry socket" He was given pain meds, and was back to semi normal within a week.

He said during the surgery, he started to come out of it, he said he could hear the music in the office, and the machines, then nothing till I was in recovery with him. Its not a heavy of anesthesia as when you have surgery in the hospital. When I had my gall bladder out, I remember being wheeled into the OR, then waking up disoriented in recovery.

You deserve to get wisdom teeth pulled after closing Hershey Hawaii! I feel so betrayed!

On topic with dentists, yeah, they suck. I hate getting fillings, because the drills make me shudder. The way they vibrate reminds me of the sound of styrofoam.

Its not a heavy of anesthesia as when you have surgery in the hospital.

Good, because my mom said when she had hers taken out she didn't even remember coming home. I don't wanna say something I'll regret later, haha.

Will I be able to talk as I wake up? The one baby tooth hasn't emerged yet, it's in the front of my bottom jaw.

5 wisdom teeth to be pulled! That sucks. The most I've had were 2 molars on the top and 2 on the bottom removed. They were taken out to make room for the wisdom teeth but my dentist said the bottoms ones aren't coming up properly. I need to get them out in May.

Hope you don't have any pain afterwards.

I had all 4 of mine pulled in January (that's how I got to spend the last week of my winter break), and I was so nervous, especially about the anesthesia and pain. It really wasn't that bad though.

I don't remember anything from the actual surgery, but I remember the surgeon talking to me afterward, so I guess I was able to talk (and I don't think I said anything stupid, which was something I was worried about too).

Luckily, I wasn't in very much pain afterward (which really surprised me). The first 2 days were kind of uncomfortable, but I think by the 3rd day I was comfortable enough to start taking Aleves instead of the prescription pain killers. The worst part was that it was hard to open my mouth or chew anything for about a week.

It's not going to be the most fun way to spend spring break, but it's kind of nice getting to sit around and do nothing but eat ice cream and watch tv for a week.

Hubby had is out years ago...He had all 4 removed, 2 of which were impacted and in pieces.

From what I remember, he got to keep 2 of his teeth, 1 normal, and 1 impacted. We still have them lying around somewhere, in an envelope. Never know..LOL

As for the surgery...he had cotton in his mouth for a while, he drooled a lot, lots of it blood. You have to be careful you do not get something called "dry socket" He was given pain meds, and was back to semi normal within a week.

He said during the surgery, he started to come out of it, he said he could hear the music in the office, and the machines, then nothing till I was in recovery with him. Its not a heavy of anesthesia as when you have surgery in the hospital. When I had my gall bladder out, I remember being wheeled into the OR, then waking up disoriented in recovery.

I had all 4 of mine pulled. And due to having a small jaw all 4 of them were flipped 90 degrees forward, so the tops of the teeth were facing directly forward. They were all impacted, with my 12 year molars half impacted. So they had to cut the gums back, crack em in half, and pull them out piece by piece.

I had it done in the dentist office instead of the hospital. Which meant no anesthesia. So I was awake for the entire operation. I was given some pretty powerful medication, but I was still conscious. I mostly just remember having a towel over my eyes, and a nurse holding my hand the whole time.

My recovery though really wasn't too painful at all oddly enough.

^Holy crap! My hubby would have lost it if he was awake. He DOES NOT take to dentists or anything having to due with blood very well due to some traumatic episodes as a young child.

He went to an oral surgeon, who gave him the option of awake, or asleep. He said "Knock me the hell out!"

But to the OP, expect pain, and being uncomfortable. You will have trouble talking at first, due to a crap load of cotton in your mouth. Just don't talk to anyone. Its a good excuse for people to leave you alone..LOL