TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

IAAPA EXPO 2007

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The new PTC trains are so ugly, and I bet they won't ride good either. While they may be easier on the tracks, they're going to make every row a wheel seat. Not cool. :-/

The new PTC trains are so ugly, and I bet they won't ride good either. While they may be easier on the tracks, they're going to make every row a wheel seat. Not cool. :-/

They are more of a concept to make people aware. Awareness like that the company is always open to consider doing new things.

The single cars demo straight different configurations that could possibly be done. But they will never run since they are show cars and nothing more.

I understand that they are doing these podcasts on the fly, and for free, but they could really use tighter editing. Both of the first two episodes could've been easily edited down to 10 or 15 minutes without losing any real content (especially the food segment), and it would be nice to see them talk to more vendors for a minute or two each rather than 7 or 8 minute segments on just a few vendors.

That said, it's great that they're providing this kind of coverage, and I do appreciate the amount of work that goes into producing and editing this kind of video.

They are more of a concept to make people aware. Awareness like that the company is always open to consider doing new things.

The single cars demo straight different configurations that could possibly be done. But they will never run since they are show cars and nothing more.

I'm pretty sure than sans the lapbars, that is the final configuration of the single bench trains for sale. The press release on Amusement Today said that

"PTC president Tom Rebbie is quick to point out that his company’s new train will not be a conventional trailer-style set-up. Instead, each of the twelve cars will seat two riders and feature four weight-bearing road wheels per coach."
I don't see any difference between the cars besides the lapbars (one shows that they still offer Buzzbars) and the front grille.

From what I've heard talking to various park maintenance people who work on these trains, PTC isn't exactly open to new things. I was told that the only significant change to the design of their trains in many many years is the ratcheting lapbar and the articulated rear axle. The press release also says

"Rebbie was inspired to create these new trains after research into PTC’s extensive archives revealed that the company's engineers had toyed with the idea of a single-bench train many years ago when PTC was still active in roller coaster design and construction."
, so yeah.

I'm not talking about the fully articulated trains, I know those completely failed lol. But to stop the trains with fixed axles from binding up in banking transitions, PTC articulated the rear axle on all their cars. I believe you can still get the 3 bench axles fixed, but I know all the 2 bench out there are articulated. If you look closely at the real axle of the lead car here you can see what I'm talking about.

I had the opportunity to go in today. First time I had been to one of the expo's but definitely wont be the last. I took part in what they called a Career Slam. Basically I sat in a room and talked with a few execs, and then we went out on the trade show floor for about an hour and half.

There were a bunch of us from different backgrounds. I would have really like to focus alot on the actual rides but didn't really get to that much. On the bright side I got free dippin dots. Tried to talk to B&M but it was closed down by the time I got there. Vekoma had alot of people around it. Talked with chance morgan for a bit also. Wish I had the money to go back but im a broke college student. Maybe next year. Got a few photos maybe Ill post a quick report later.

The Mil-Flyers that everyone seems to love so much also have every row as a wheel seat.

If the train is flexible and doesn't shake itself senseless trying to maneuver around the track, then wheel seats don't make that big of a difference.

If those new PTCs handle turns better, I'd love to see Boardwalk Bullet get a set!

From what I was told by PTC the reason for the 4 wheel single seaters is to distribute the weight better so that there is less force on each section of the trains. They are also displaying a trailered version of the same cars with out the from set of wheels something more like the MF trains that GCI uses.

I have some photos from the show up on mysite. Camera didn't do so well inside. Go here http://www.johnnyupsidedown.com/eventIAAPA5.html

Always a great show. I was going to go back for more today but didn't make the trip.

The new trains on X2 still look like nutcrackers. The new Vekoma SLC seats look pretty nice.

Am I the only one who finds it humorous that Premier is trying to schill The Chiller there? Shouldn't they have a new concept other than the ferris wheel lift model? By the way, that thing looks cool, but would probably be a downtime disaster. I wonder if that design would somehow increase capacity though.

^ No offense guys, but I think linking to your IAAPA update once in this thread is plenty. As much as I totally support other sites coming here and linking to their updates there really isn't any reason to whore yourselves out at the same time.

There are plenty of different links to different IAAPA updates in this thread. If people want to click on them, they will!

Thanks for your understanding.

--Robb