TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Implosions

AllenA07

Not sure how many of you are interested in this kind of stuff, but the Frontier hotel in Las Vegas was imploded last night. Overall pretty decent show (though I wish they had waited until Jan 1st, when I'd be there to watch) with plenty of fireworks. I'm curious to see if anybody here has an interest in hotel construction (or in this case distruction). I've always had an interest in how hotels are built, and more actually more interestingly how they're taken down. And just for fun, has anybody here ever gotten to experience watching one of these buildings come down in person?

Finally if you're curious about the carnage after the implosion check out this site: http://www.leavinglv.net for some good pictures of the process.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Last tuesday I went to see the Frontier Implosion in Vegas, I wont miss one again its really amazing what they can do with these buildings. The Videos dont do justice of the sound and feeling of seeing one of these in person.

A big thing now with Vegas Implosions is the countdown in Fireworks on the Building

Heres a couple of links to the Stardust Implosion and the Frontier Implosion.

Leaving Las Vegas

^ This site is really detailed with the Las Vegas Implosion

These Implosions were only 8 months apart. Vegas doesn't hold on to any history, I'm surprised they haven't touched downtown.

I've always had to assume that the sound has to be incredible. When you watch on TV it's always these little pops, but in person I'm sure it's loud.

I wonder what the next hotel out there to come down will be. I've got to put my money on Imperial Palace.

• 2 weeks later...

I have seen the implosion of old Riverfront Stadium in person, just 5 years ago!

I don't doubt about Imperial Palace. It's right at the center of the Strip, yet it has some of the cheapest rooms around.

As an architecture and planning student, I really like high-rises, so there's few high-rises (outside of public housing) that I want to see torn down.

• 4 months later...

Here is a video that I found on YouTube about the top 10 Las Vegas Implosions. This was before the Stardust Implosion but it shows the unique ways Las Vegas implodes buildings. My favorite shot was when they set up a camera in the Aladdin that faced down a hallway of hotel rooms, there is a garbage can inside and you can see the building crumbling in front of the camera.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3E59CbUH_g4

John

I really enjoyed watching that!

My first trip to Las Vegas was in July 1981, and I visited all of those now-imploded hotels (except the Hacienda).

For some reason, I think The Riviera won't be there much longer.

Eric

I really enjoyed watching that!

My first trip to Las Vegas was in July 1981, and I visited all of those now-imploded hotels (except the Hacienda).

For some reason, I think The Riviera won't be there much longer.

Eric

I think they were planning to renovate Riviera...

Tropicana I believe is also getting a renovation so that won't be going anywhere.

From what I have read Imperial Palace is going to be removed at the same time as either Harris or Flamingo, because the property by itself isn't big enough for a resort.

In regards to Tropicana that hotel has some extensive remodel plans right now, that should leave it looking very nice, provided that it actually takes place.

This link will take you to some of the renderings of what Tropicana is set to look like upon completion.

http://www.vegastodayandtomorrow.com/tropicana.htm

WOW! I loved that video! It had some really great footage of implosions! I remember when I think it was the travel channel had this on it. They were talking about new things in Las Vegas, then they showed these and they started talking about how they get rid of old buildings. Does anyone else know what I am talking about?

~Matthew

I think they were planning to renovate Riviera...

A bidding war is going on for ownership of it. It won't be around much longer once that is done. Especially with new neighbors Echelon and Fountainbleau moving in soon.