TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

New Matterhorn cars, first peek

First pics I've seen of the new bobsled cars coming to the Matterhorn:

http://disneyparksinfo.com/forum/showthread.php?t=33

Will sure miss the inline seating, but that has allot to do with the necessity. Disney says too many riders choose to ride by themselves, so 4 riders per train was common, significantly reducing capacity. At least with the new configure, 6 per train will now be possible, reducing wait times.

I'm thinking lap bars on this bumpy old Arrow track will sure be brutal on the legs though, ouch! Suppose be switched over on the next major refurb, so enjoy the fun old school bobsleds now while you can.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

^ Yeah, but all you need to do is look at WDW's Space Mountain to see how their original inline seating non-locking retraint rolling stock were modified, for the exact same reasons. This may not be the final shell design/colors/handlebars, but you can pretty much count on individual seating with lap bars being final.

I miss the days when they originally ran them, one car at a time.

I realize it's not practical nowadays.

But still...

(And the new cars do indeed, look rather...... plastic?)

Hmmm...I wasn't aware that the Matterhorn was getting new cars. This is the first I've heard of it.

If in fact this is the case, it looks like you'll be sitting higher. Not good with some low tunnels...

Somehow, going from eight riders per car to six seems like it would reduce capacity, which was the reason for the switch from the single sleds (1959-1977) to the ones now on the ride since 1978.

My own problem with riding the Matterhorn is that with a serious lack of body padding in a certain area *AHEM*, the ride is just too bumpy. Maybe the new seating will afford a bit of the cushioning that I need.

And, yes, the new bobsleds are...well, not very attractive...

Eric

I'm sure when they replaced the original cars with the ones they have now people thought they were odd as well.-mike
That was definitely the case. The "good old bobsleds" were sleek and actually looked speedy. The "new ugly" bobsleds (the current ones) looked clunky with their big noses. The only thing I don't miss from the original bobsleds is the old safety strap. It was a thick belt with a bunch of grommet holes which you attached to a big hook on the opposite side of the bobsled. It looked like it could come off at any time. The newer seat belts at least are secure.

If those pictures are real then this will be the bulbiest nose yet. I think I know where they got the idea for the shape.

These new bobsleds don't look as aerodynamic as the old ones but they do look safer. I wish there were more of these kind of rides around. Other than this one and the Space Mountains I don't know of any. The bobsled like Avalanche at Kings Dominion is cool. I would like to get back to eastern PA to ride Flying Turns at Knoebels or Texas to ride La Vibora at SF Over Texas. I was disappointed with Disaster Transport at CP (too hot in there).

I'm off the topic. I miss Matterhorn ! I was only twelve the last and only time we went to California.

A big meh goes out to that particular design, I like the idea of theoretically adding capacity in the sense that many many people don't ride together anymore. And if it's just lap bars they should be able to get the trains going out faster for even less waiting and less chance of cascading.

Somehow, going from eight riders per car to six seems like it would reduce capacity, which was the reason for the switch from the single sleds (1959-1977) to the ones now on the ride since 1978.

Eric

I think they are looking at it this way. Most of the time, people do not ride in pairs. they ride single. meaning 2 per car. So doing it with 3 seats instead of 2 means a "potentially" higher capacity.

I would think it would definately move the queue faster. Almost everyone rides by themselves unless a parent is with a child or is small enough to fit right in front of the person they're with. The CMs running it will also no longer have to ask if the riders are going alone or in pairs saving a little extra time throughout the course of the day.