TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

USA - Recommended Parks

Hey everyone,

I have a questions for all coaster buffs out in the US. If you had to choose the top 3 parks in the US which ones would they be and why?

I'll be in Vegas end of April 2008 for a conference and would like to take a weekend break to a park the first weekend in May 2008. Which park would you recommend? I'm looking for a park with easy access from an airport, hotel close to the park, good weather and possibly other things to do around there at night. I'm from South Africa so I want something that will make the horrendously long flight worthwhile. I've been to Disney World in Florida, Universal Studios Orlando, Knotts Berry Farm and Six Flags Magic Mountain.

Any advice will be super.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Hope this helps:

1.) Cedar Point (Sandusky, Ohio)

-Claimed to be the best theme park in the world. Has 17 roller coasters on a 360 acre pennisula. Takes all the best features from all the parks around the U.S and puts it in one.

2.) Six Flags Great Adventure (Jackson, New Jersey

Two words - EL TORRO!!!

Probably the best Six Flags

3.) Busch Gardens (Williamsburg, Virginia)

Very beatiful in every respect. Great coasters. Very clean and friendly.

4.) (Just in case you can't make those)

Six Flags Magic Mountain (Valencia, California)

IMO, Magic Mountain is underrated. There are a lot of coasters and rides. And the park is pretty nice. If you have never been to other parks in the U.S. This one is pretty good.

1. Hershey Park

-Hands down, the best park I've ever been too. GREAT selection of rides and coaster, including Farenheit for next year. As for atmosphere, nothing beats the smell of Hersheys Chocolate everywhere you walk.

2. Dollywood

-There arent that many attractions, but its more of a quality vs quality case. Dolly's coasters KICK ASS!!!!!!!!! Also, its an adventure finding your way around the park, so that adds to the fun of things...

3. Cedar Point

-Coaster capital blah blah blah. Its not themed at all or anything, but some of the coasters are pretty cool. I highly recommend going on Maverick...

Everyone needs to read his post again as the majority of you are giving bad suggestions based on his criteria!

Again:

1. Close to an airport

2. Hotel right there

3. Stuff to do at night

4. Open first weekend in May

5. Decent Weather

Ready now? Try again!

Ok, I put the baby down, so now I can give my $0.02.

Realistically within your criteria I would choose Orlando or SoCal. That way you can hit a few parks (all which meet your criteria) during your weekend.

They may not have the best or the most roller coasters, but Cedar Point and Great Adventure barely meet 1 of your criteria!!!

The only park I can think of off the top of my head, that you have not already been, that fits to criteria in Busch Gardens in Tampa (or whatever they are calling it today.

The weather is nice, good coasters, hotels are in the area (but you would be better off staying near the airport versus the park) and you should be able to find some type of night time activity

At least I think it is a only short cab ride from the airport.

SFoG might also fit the bill, but is not close to the airport.

As Elissa said, weather can not be guaranteed outside of the Southern parts of the US.

The only two places I've been that have "good weather" during the offseason are Texas and Florida. Personally I would choose Texas because the coasters are much more intense in my opinion. Six Flags Over Texas is very nice and has a lot of rides that will keep you busy for an entire day.

*If you're going to be in Vegas, Speed is a really good coaster and only costs $5 a ride (i think).

I'm assuming by "good weather" you meen warm weather 60+ degrees.

Six Flags Kentucky Kingdom which the airport is pratically less than 5 miles which you can see it when you're riding on Chang the *HARDCORE STANDUP COASTER* and there are tons of hotels but you will hit a few coasters. I'm not sure what you can do at night there but I'm sure there is something.

You can hit Holiday World and Bowling Green if you're planning for additial transportation.

California's Great America - Santa Clara, California

-Decent amount of stuff to do in the park.

-San Jose Airport 5 minutes from the park.

-TONS of hotels walking distance from the park.

-Downtown San Jose near by.

-Beautiful weather in May.

-Lots of malls and other things to do near by.

-And then go to Six Flags Discovery Kingdom in Vallejo, about 45 min-1 hour North of Santa Clara if you want to go to another park. Or do the opposite and start at Six Flags Discovery Kingdom first.

Busch Gardens Tampa..I am being bias...lol

but it sort of close to the airport, there are a bunch of hotels in the area. some are nice and some are horrible so be careful. Ybor city(next to downtown tampa) has a lot of nightlife. it is open year round and of course Florida is know for good weather, unless it rains.lol

Outside of Florida, I have no idea. I went to SFOT and that was sort of close to the airport, dont know the rest. The park is ok.

So Busch Gardens Tampa its probably the best, and you can hit Sea World in Orlando and Universal.