TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Career Advice Thread

Cameron

A few months ago a good friend of mine asked me if I'd talk at a career night being held at their school district middle-school. Well I jumped at the chance - partly because I actually like speaking in front of people, but mostly because I love what I do and want to get other people excited by it too.

Well I talked a little over a week ago, and it was really fun. However I was genuinely surprised by the questions the kids asked, and (in some cases) the mis-conceptions they had about what I do (I'm a programmer in the game industry). I enjoyed talking to the kids, and answering their questions etc, but it got me thinking.

There are a lot of kids on TPR, and also a lot of adults who work in a whole range of different and interesting fields. So I was thinking it might be interesting to have a place for people (kids) to ask us (adults) about different careers, and we (adults) will answer you (kids) honestly about stuff. Jobs in the 'real world' are often not what you expect (doesn't mean they're not as good .. just different!), so it might be worth talking about stuff.

But not just the kids either .. I love hearing about Jeff Johnson's postal stories, and the adventures of Mel and Rich as teachers - both of those are jobs I'm interested in.

So .. don't be shy. The coaster season is over, and another year is drawing to a close. The young ones are closer to entering the work force, and the really young ones are reaching a point where they need to start thinking about future careers.

Cameron.

PS: I initially thought about resurrecting this thread, but that seemed too general and less advice oriented. However, feel free to merge the two if necessary.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

However, my passion is medicine and I'm interested in becoming an emergency medicine physician. I'm kind of scared to get any more career advice, because whenever I have done that, everything about med school has been negative and intimidating. But I'm up for the challenge!

Go out and find an ER doc to shadow. You might be able to arrange this through your school, or you could do it on your own. It's easier to do than you would suppose. This will give you the best idea of whether or not you're interested in that field.

My only suggestion is do something you like and don't do something purely based on money. I work in the broadcast industry and don't make that much, but I like my job, some days I love it. And make sure you get a college degree, though if you are going itno medicine, that won't be a issue.

^ I'll echo that. One of the things I've come to hate about law school is the number of people who are going just because there is money in the career, and no other reason. Yes the money is nice, and it is necessary considering the investment (I'm going to a cheap school and it'll cost me upwards of $100,000 in the end) that needs to be made, however to base your entire life on how much money you're going to make is not going to make you a very happy person.

^ On the flip side though, don't choose a career that you like, but which has little financial benefit.

There has to be a balance between doing something you enjoy, and doing something which pays the bills.

There are some degrees that will give you few options upon graduating. You don't want to be one of the people who graduate with a fancy degree, $50,000 in student loans, and a job working at McDonalds.

^^ Not all attorneys make a lot of money. I've had many dealings with plaintiff attorneys in my past life as a claim adjuster, where the PC's were scraping by to pay the bills.

^ I've found that it's more about getting A degree that employers are looking for. Doesn't matter in what, only that you received a degree. Obviously, someone with a degree in that field will have a leg up, but it's more about the completion of higher education that employers are looking for.

^ I've found that it's more about getting A degree that employers are looking for. Doesn't matter in what, only that you received a degree. Obviously, someone with a degree in that field will have a leg up, but it's more about the completion of higher education that employers are looking for.

Yeppers. Most people don't wind up working in the field that their degree is in. So unless you're very set on something very specialized like engineering, college can be used as an opportunity to study seemingly impractical fields like philosophy or theology. Basically whatever you find interesting. Medical schools, for example, are interested in diversifying their classes, and consequently welcome applicants from any undergrad discipline.

My advice is to do an internship or a co-op in college. Especially in my field, engineering, hands-on experience is very valuable. I had a good education in college, but really for what I am doing today, I am not using much of it. Also, with an internship, you get a chance to do some networking and meet people in the field you are interested in. College is the best place to meet employers. Go to college career days.

This is more about a specific career question.

But I was wondering. Is there much demand for Civil Engineers in America? Because I was thinking of studying Civil Engineering or Structural Engineering at University in about 3 years time. And then maybe going to a different country to work.

There is a huge shortage of Civil/Structural engineers, and most college engineering graduates (or at least the ones here at Georgia Tech) receive an average of 5 job offers upon graduation. Talk about options...

I'd like to add to your response to coasters 4 me.

I am not sure how Engineering programs work in other countries, but for the United States, most Civil Engineering Firms require engineers to have their "Engineers in Training" (EIT) Certificate. In most cases, graduating engineers will take the Fundamentals of Engineering exam the same semester they graduate and if you pass, you receive your EIT. I am not sure how this works internationally though. I know if you pass the FE exam anywhere in the United States, your EIT certificate is good in any state.

If you do not have any type of program like this where you are from, you might want to consider joining a Graduate School program somewhere in the United States. Most programs have an internship associated with it where you can get your feet wet in the field.

As far as demand goes in the United States. Civil Engineers are in high demand wherever you have growing urban areas. (i.e. Atlanta, Dallas, Las Vegas, the whole state of California)

I actually have not even looked into the salary for being an ER physician. I just love science/anatomy and I also love hospitals. I had a 4.1 GPA in high school and as a college freshaman now, I have about a 3.7. I'm worried about getting into med school but I'm going to start studying for the MCAT this summer. Speaking of that, I should probably get back to studying for my BSC 114 test tomorrow.

Entrance to medical school requires more than just numbers. You're going to want clinical exposure, perhaps through volunteering at a hospital. Some people work as EMTs to get medical experience. You'll also want to get some shadowing experience. The more the better. Research, especially research that ends in publication, is another thing you should consider getting into. The more prestigious schools typically want research experience.

You're going to want a better rationale than "I love science" when interviewing for medical school. If you love science, you're better off getting a science PhD.

http://www.studentdoctor.net/

^Study that web site extensively. There are some insanely competitive/qualified folks on there, but there are also some very helpful people as well.

ER docs do pretty darn well financially. Know that it is considered bad form to mention money in your personal statement, or in a medical school interview.

You can PM me with any questions that you want. I'm going through the painful admissions process right now.

Thanks. At the college I go to now, my senior year actually offers internships in the local hospital where I can get credit hours. I also planned on doing EMT work if I do not get into medical school my first year.

You're going to want clinical experience before you apply. It doesn't have to be EMT. You can volunteer in a hospital. If you don't get clinical experience, your chance of acceptance is very, very small. The schools want to know that you know what you're getting into, and aren't basing your decision on the fact that you like to watch ER.

Plan to get in on your first attempt. Some schools look down upon re-applicants. And applying is a very expensive and draining process.

I've actually never seen an episode of ER.

When do you think I should start volunteering in hospitals? My brother got to do job shadowing and internships back at high school, but they did not offer it my semester. I definitely do need the clinical experience, but not sure where and when to start.

My university has a pre-med advisor so I will probably go talk to her soon as well.

You should start volunteering ASAP, and do it for as long as possible. Even 4 hours a week over time will show a big commitment to medicine. Try to get some shadowing experience in addition to the volunteering, because most volunteer gigs keep you at arm's length from the doctor-patient interactions.

Pre-med advisers can be helpful, but be sure to do a lot of reading on your own.

Your state school, UAB, has a pretty strong medical program. If I remember correctly, the in-state tuition was a great deal as well.

One important thing to consider when getting a degree, is don't go for anything super-specific. We often get resumes from kids who have "game design" degrees, and most of these kids are borderline useless. The "game colleges" are too focused, and the grads end up without the right skills for the game industry, while also not being able to do anything else.

For example - if you want to do video game (or movie) art, then get a good general art degree. Learn how to draw and paint and become a good artist, then learn the computer tools. Sitting down in front of 3D Studio Max won't make you a good artist any more than me picking up a paint brush.

Same for the programmers - knowing what a "Z Buffer" is is useless if you don't have a handle on basic programming concepts. Get a great Computer Science degree and then any game company would love to hire you.

Of course the other great benefit of a more general degree is that while you're waiting for your dream job, you will still be able to find other work to keep you fed and clothed.

I'm also a firm believer of doing what you like, rather than what pays well (within reason, obviously!). Ask anyone in the game industry about their salary, and they will inevitably respond: "No-one gets rich in the game business!". It's true; but I love what I do, I'm good at it, and I'm super happy.

And with that, I will go back to work

Cameron.

Now after medical career reasearch, I'm considering Physician Assistant. I know it is not "officially" a doctor, but I do not care so much about the title as much as the work I would get to do. I believe I still need a Biology major, and then I would go to a 2-3 year Physician Assistant program. Pay is not outstanding, but it's doable. And I'm not in it for the money, just for the work done.

Ginzo, what do you think about Physician Assistant? I'm sure you know more about the career that I do.

Mid-level providers are pretty big these days, and will continue to be very important as the population ages and not enough doctors are produced. Mid-level providers are Physician Assistants, Nurse Practitioners, and Certified Registered Nurse Anesthetists. The pay can be better than you think, particularly for Nurse Anesthetists and PAs who work in the ER.

It all depends on how broad you want your scope of practice to be. Nurse Anesthetists actually gas patients during surgeries, but they don't write the treatment plans. The anesthesiologist does that.

You'll never get to render a diagnosis as a mid-level. You can figure out a case, and then have the doctor sign off on it. But ultimately the doctor you work under has the final say.

Mid-levels also get stuck doing more "scut" work than physicians do. As a doctor why do a nasty pelvic exam when you can just make your PA do it?

But, yeah, mid-level jobs are a good option. I'm just more interested in doing advanced diagnostic work, like pathology or radiology.

I may just proceed towards PA. Either way it's the same degree I would go towards anyways so I do not have to change anything. Also, what are the schedules like for PAs (probably ER). Would I get time off, be on call, ect?

No idea about PA schedules, call, etc. You should shadow a PA, and ask them. I'd expect it to be better than a doctor's hours.

I'd like to add to your response to coasters 4 me.

I am not sure how Engineering programs work in other countries, but for the United States, most Civil Engineering Firms require engineers to have their "Engineers in Training" (EIT) Certificate. In most cases, graduating engineers will take the Fundamentals of Engineering exam the same semester they graduate and if you pass, you receive your EIT. I am not sure how this works internationally though. I know if you pass the FE exam anywhere in the United States, your EIT certificate is good in any state.

If you do not have any type of program like this where you are from, you might want to consider joining a Graduate School program somewhere in the United States. Most programs have an internship associated with it where you can get your feet wet in the field.

As far as demand goes in the United States. Civil Engineers are in high demand wherever you have growing urban areas. (i.e. Atlanta, Dallas, Las Vegas, the whole state of California)

To be honest, I am not sure exactly how the Certificates comapre to America.

All I know is that for Civil Engineering here, you study for 4 years and get a BEng Degree (Basic Engineering, I think). In those 4 years, if you are performing well enough, you can take the last year and study for a MEng Degree (Mechanical Engineering)

It is all beyond me at the minute but should make sense soon.

No idea about PA schedules, call, etc. You should shadow a PA, and ask them. I'd expect it to be better than a doctor's hours.

Nobody in the hospital has "good" hours. Everybody's gotta work a holiday or a couple of midnights/12's here and there.

Me, personally, I got Thanksgiving off this year - But that was the last day I asked for. I'm in at 7PM on Christmas eve, and don't leave until 7AM on Christmas day. Same goes for the new year.... Oh well, though.

Also, most ER physicians are not actually hospital employees, but private practitioners that do ER duty on a rotational schedule.

-Josh