TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Photo TR: Carowinds June 13, 2005

Well, after last week's day at SFA, I was hoping for the best at a different park chain. But then again, after going to Six Flags, there is nowhere to go but up!

6am and I was on the road from Roanoke, VA to Charlotte, NC, a 210 mile jaunt. Light rain and mist started off my trip, but I was hoping for the best. Some incredible dense fog outside of NC was pretty scary, but I managed to make it to the parking lot of Carowinds by 9:20am.

At 9:30, they opened the lot and WOW! There were attendants at EVERY parking booth taking money! At SFA last week, they had ONE girl.

I parked really close and got my ACE discount from Guest Relations. The kid working a regular ticket booth had no idea what ACE was. Understandable, but at least they should be aware or at least direct guests to Guest Relations if they have questions.

Got in the park and in the small crowd for BORG. At 10am, made my way to the coaster and got my credit in 5 minutes. Not the best ride, but at least they were cycling the trains REALLY quickly and efficiently, unlike SFA.

Headed to Super Saturator for 2 quick spins. What a FUN ride! Why don't more parks install these? It was a blast to ride as well as observe: a win-win situation!

Off to Richochet for the credit than Runaway Raptar (sp?). Hmm....even kiddie coasters hurt when Vekoma makes them. My options were either bash my ears or bash my throat. Yuck! Of course, it didn't help that the ride ops were having a water fight between trains. I guess this is why Cedar Point used to only have same sex crews (less flirting).

I then headed to the Taxi Kiddie coaster (forget the name) only for the credit. I read the sign which said nothing about an adult riding alone and got in line, sat down, and got ready for the ride.

At this point, the ride op said "You have to ride with a kid" to which I replied "I don't have a kid!" So, they wouldn't let me ride! Rather than make a fuss, I exited the ride, but I still think Carowinds needs to claify their policy or at least change the sign. Anyone else have this problem when trying to ride a kiddie coaster just for the credit?

Since the park was pretty empty, I got to ride just about everything and not wait in any lines. Top Gun was running great, even in a light rain.

At 1pm, had enough and headed back to Roanoke. Sorry no interesting anecdotes, but it was just that kind of day! Next week: DOLLYWOOD! Woo hoo!!

NOTE: I tried to add more pics but my camera battery died...sorry!

S4010205.JPG.7cf160f26a16eb29dd4e31500505c490.JPG

This BEAUTY in line for Top Gun. If only I got a pic of her lower back tatoos...YUMMY!!

S4010158.JPG.2cacb6af154314d6da608e438afc0deb.JPG

Wow! All of the parking attendants were their taking money! Efficient!

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hey! Nothing wrong with credit whores. It's not like we "love" kiddie coasters...moreso when people ask us "have you ridden every ride at <>?" we can say "Yup", and then they say "You're a liar, you never rode that coaster just for kids!", we can say..."I stole a kid and got the credit!"...

Anyways, those lower and upper back tattoos were pretty hot! :shocked: I'm reminded of that SNL commercial for "lower back tattoo remover".

Glad you had fun and your drives were worth it!

Elissa "SLC's in training suck!" Alvey

I am glad you had a decent time at my home park!

I dont get people with Borg that say its just an OK ride though.

Everytime I ride it (10 times this year) I totally freak out and act like im flying. It never bangs me up, hurts me, or anything of that nature. I love it!

Same with Runaway Raptar it never hurts me, but its kinna lame. .

Have fun at Dollywood!

I am glad you had a decent time at my home park!

I dont get people with Borg that say its just an OK ride though.

Everytime I ride it (10 times this year) I totally freak out and act like im flying. It never bangs me up, hurts me, or anything of that nature. I love it!

Same with Runaway Raptar it never hurts me, but its kinna lame. .

Have fun at Dollywood!

Nice to see people from my home state. I'm originally from Columbia, but I am a Senior now at USC Upstate in Spartanburg

I rode the Borg for the first time 2 weeks ago, and it kinda banged me around a bit. Other than that, I enjoyed it. But my heart still has a soft spot for Top Gun

I'm sure once I visit the CP in August, my entire mindset about Carowinds will change. I wish they'd build some "bigger" coasters, but i'm not sure what the ordinances are on coaster height are in that area.

I will be riding BORG for the first time hopefully in a couple of weeks, I know its kinda sad, but I've never been to Carowinds before and its the closest theme park! Weve always been Six Flags people!

You're pretty close to Atlanta, so I can see why your homepark is moreso Six Flags. I plan on going to SFOG after I get back from Cedar Point.

Carowinds is a good park, but nothing more. But the Top Gun Jet Coaster is one of the best inverted coasters in the US. I'm not sure how the Borg stacks up with other flying coasters, but I thought it was a pretty good ride.

One question: does Borg feel like a B&M flyer? Just wondering.

I don't think so at all. I rode Superman at SFOG and really loved it. The elements were evenly spaced, and the pretzel loop is pretty intense.

Maybe it is just me, but when riding BORG and Batwing, I felt as though I was forced to look straight down rather than ahead, as if I were flying. Therefore, it just felt like I was moving forward, but my point of view was merely the ground getting closer and farther away from me.

On Superman, I felt like I could actually see where I was going. I also liked how easy it was to load those cars as opposed to the Vekoma ones.

Side note: the height requirements are clearly spelled out, but at the ride itself, the distinction between being a chaperone and a kid was not so clear. Oh well, at least I got to do Jr Gemini 2 years ago with my niece. I had been waiting to ride that since it opened in 1979! (I think!!)

Nice TR John!

It's Reptar. Sorry, I have a 3 year old.

Anyway, I sent you a PM a while back, not sure if you got it or not. Did you know Mark Morgan when you worked at Cedar Point? He was my roommate at Cedars in 1998. Just wondering. Would like to get in contact with him. Thanks!

Carowinds isn't the only park that doesn't allow "childless-adults" on the kiddie coasters.

I know that PKI and IOA do too.

I don't know how but I got lucky one day and got my credit on Taxi Jam, the op looked at me kind of funny but she let me ride.

I heard from someone that they started doing it because teenagers were getting on there and scaring the little kids.

I tried to ride the PKI version the other week and they wouldn't let me on, no biggie.