TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Stocks and Investing

larrygator

But remember Six Flags has a debt right now and that debt is not disappearing and that makes it tough for a company to make money. Yes, Six Flags has a tendency to do below $4 and rise back to $6 but past performance is no guarantee of the future.

Yes, Six Flags "sounds" good at less than $3, but it also looked good to me when I bought it a month ago when it dipped below $4.

This is very true. My employer has a similar debt/revenue situation to Six Flags. We have about $2 billion in debt, and roughly the same revenue as Six. As a result, our stock has been hovering between $2 and $6 for the last 6 years or so. My feeling is that it will never break out of this cycle until something major happens, like a buy out or something.

So yeah, our stock is awful for a long term buy and hold strategy, but people do make money short term trading this cycle we're in. They'll buy at like $4, and then sell at $5. You could probably do the same thing with SIX.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have bought and sold individual stocks for about three years now. Overall I have done fairly well, but like Larry said earlier, I tend to stick with companies I am familiar with. I also watch these companies on a daily basis so I usually have a pretty good feel for what they are doing (although I did not expect SIX to drop as low as they did). One investment site I like is investrend.com. They usually have some pretty good info.

In today's wonderful stock market news: U.S. Treasury Secretary Hank Paulson said the number of potential U.S. home-loan defaults "will be significantly bigger" in 2008 than in 2007. Fantastic! The Dow was down over 200 points today closing at 12,799. The stock market is a nasty place to be right now.

Since I work for a non-profit, I have a 403b. Currently, I'm playing it safe with a portfolio that is only around 20% high-risk/high-growth. I think I'm going to bump that up to around 60% for a while. Most of them are tech stocks, so I can make a decent amount of change, and then skip out on them.

I also own stock in Abercrombie and Fitch. I had stock options when I was in-store eye candy

• 10 months later...

Let me tell you my situation, I bought 8,692 shares of Lehman Bros. at 17 cents each.

If it goes up to it's original price earlier this year, I will make exactly $172,000.

I don't think thats going to happen though.

Let me tell you my situation, I bought 8,692 shares of Lehman Bros. at 17 cents each.

If it goes up to it's original price earlier this year, I will make exactly $172,000.

If my calculations are correct (which they probably aren't) you spent about 1000 dollars on stock. That's very risky, but you probably have seen some good money come your way.

Anyways, right now I wouldn't invest in anything because I expect the stock market to just completely CRASH in the next 3 years. But if I had the chance to invest in something I'd buy stock in seeds.

And a side note, my teacher has a chance in like the 60s-70s to invest in Disney for just 5 dollars for so much stock (can't remember) and he refused. I was shocked (though back then I wouldn't be) but he would've been rich (or atleast richer) now its amazing!

If my calculations are correct (which they probably aren't) you spent about 1000 dollars on stock. That's very risky, but you probably have seen some good money come your way.

Anyways, right now I wouldn't invest in anything because I expect the stock market to just completely CRASH in the next 3 years. But if I had the chance to invest in something I'd buy stock in seeds.

And a side note, my teacher has a chance in like the 60s-70s to invest in Disney for just 5 dollars for so much stock (can't remember) and he refused. I was shocked (though back then I wouldn't be) but he would've been rich (or atleast richer) now its amazing!

Actually your calculations are almost dead on.

I think that the stock will eventually rise. Nearly every stock is dropping right now, so maybe Lehman Brothers will recover when everything else does.

However they are responsible for alot of what has happened in the past month.

So far, in the last 6 months, my sister has lost over 150k in her 401k.

A few of my co-workers have lost btwn 20-60k in theirs.

Financially, I think this is one of the scariest times we've ever seen.

If you have the money to buy land, now is the time to do so. Stocks have always been risky, but I've never seen it like this.

I somehow think this Bail-out will not have the affect on the economy that they desired.

I think we're in for a real long winter.

thanks Einstein - making that call 2 weeks ago would have been a great move.

Actually, I did. Longer than two weeks ago. See post, dated Aug. 16, 2008:

"...we have one of the worst economies in the history of the US. We are in a recession, the value of the dollar is plummeting, gas prices are skyrocketing, and a depression like we have never seen before is looming over us..."

More or less, the point was made. Had anyone asked me if investing in the stock market was a good idea, even a year ago, I would have offered the same advice.

I think its a GREAT time to buy stock

For VERY cheap, I have purchased

GM

Fannie Mae

Freddie Mac

AIG

I have put about $500 in the market (its gambling basically, so make sure you can lose it)

Fannie and Freddie will be returned as they were with better oversite, and values should go up, this is a long term investment, like years

GM is WAY to big to be valued at $5 a share, yes they have money issues right now, but gas prices are falling fast, and some of thier cars in the pipeline, like the Chevy Volt, which should have a MPG rating of 100mpg, should bring life back to the company.

Gm also may be getting direct federal loans, aside from the 25 billion gauranteed in the new bill passed by the senate (for upgrades for the new MPG requirments)

50/50 chance Chrysler and GM may merge, also REALLY intresting

AIG has only taken out a loan, and issues perferred stock to the goverment to back the loan, Shareholders are trying to raise capital to pay the goverment back quickly, when that happenes, the shares will go back up

again, if only one of these companies returns to its former glory, I will have made my money back, and then some.

If you have faith in Ford, its at about $2.00 a share, they are a HUGE global company, and make some awesome cars in europe, not so much here. Lets hope they start doing what GM is doing, and start having global cars, it brings up the quality here, and cuts development costs by ALOT, thats why Toyota and Honda have been so succesful, build cars for every market, it makes sence, you should see the Ford Focus in Europe, its a tad bit better than ours

European Focus

American Focus

I'm probably just too stupid to understand why the financial world works the way it does... but how is everyone "losing" money they never had in the first place?

Hypothetical example: I have $50 in my pocket. I also have a 401K worth $100,000, which I'm not going to cash out until retirement. The stock market tanks, and suddenly my 401K falls to $80,000. But I never saw any of that money. I couldn't have spent any of that money if I had wanted to. That money won't exist to me for another 35 years, over which time It's probably going to ebb and flow a few more times.

Meanwhile, I still have $50 in my pocket.

I guess I also don't understand why the banks are being made out as the bad guys in this current economic situation. Yeah, a lot of banks and mortgage companies gave out a lot of bad loans, which was incredibly stupid on their part... but they certainly aren't responsible for the number of people who have lost their homes on variable mortgages, etc. At some point people have to take responsibility for their own actions. Did absolutely no one in the United States over the past five years stop and think, "Hmm, I make $30,000 a year, and this bank is trying to give me a $250,000 loan with an interest rate that they can raise any time they feel like it. If I can't pay, they have the right to take my house away, and I'll lose all the money I put into it in the first place. You know what? Maybe that's not the smartest thing for me to do right now."

Then again, we live in a culture where (and I'm speaking in broad generalities here) people will complain about having to put a quarter in a meter for 20 minutes of parking, but think nothing of dropping a couple hundred bucks every time a new cell phone comes out.

I'm so confused.

^ With so many people thinking like that, yeah, he could very well lose. I also wouldn't have touched GM, but that's just me. There is money to be made nowadays.

A lot of stocks were positive on Friday. A few big names like Exxon kept the market down. The Euro is slipping versus the dollar too as the dollar isn't necessarily gaining strength, but a lot of other markets are catching up in the crisis.

Hypothetical example: I have $50 in my pocket. I also have a 401K worth $100,000, which I'm not going to cash out until retirement. The stock market tanks, and suddenly my 401K falls to $80,000. But I never saw any of that money. I couldn't have spent any of that money if I had wanted to. That money won't exist to me for another 35 years, over which time It's probably going to ebb and flow a few more times.

You're right, and you are young and our generation isn't in as much trouble as the one before us, but if you use this calculator you'll find out that that $20K lost now could end up becoming a potential loss of $500K by the time you retire. Instead of getting more than $3.3M you could end up with, say, $2.7M. The money you earn in your 20s gets to compound and rise the most and is therefore probably the most important time to invest in your retirement fund