TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Moreys Piers Discussion Thread

^I did try that Pierogie stand. Theyre pretty good! Not quite Knoebels good, but still worth stopping by if you like them.

Glad I had a good-before-7 wristband when I went because it got me on the piers early before the lines started building up. When I stopped by Adventure Pier at 10:30 that night I couldn't believe how many people were riding the big money attractions (myself included admittedly). Place is definitely raking in the dollars this year!

• 1 year later...

Embarking on my annual Shore trip August 21-23. Will be driving down Sunday and probably stopping for Gale Force and Manco & Manco pizza on the way down. Monday is Wildwood day and I already have a full day wristband ready to go as well as some drinking money for Capt'n Jack's and Pig Dog. Staying at Key West this year.

Any updates on Moreys (and the Ocean City parks) from the locals? Missed the flume last year as well as a couple other attractions (Ghost Ship, Pirates). Also hoping that by going late in August, crowds won't be as bad as they were the last week of July last year.

Tuesday my wife will spend the traditional tens of thousands of dollars on stuff at Douglass' Candy (if she ever hit the lottery I swear she'd just buy the store) and then we'll stop for a couple El Toro laps on the way home. 

1 hour ago, Zand said:

Any updates on Moreys (and the Ocean City parks) from the locals? Missed the flume last year as well as a couple other attractions (Ghost Ship, Pirates). Also hoping that by going late in August, crowds won't be as bad as they were the last week of July last year.

Ghost Ship is still closed for this season, according to their website. No indication that either Zoom Phloom or Pirates are currently closed, and I remember seeing Bill post about riding the flume just a couple weeks ago so you should be good on that front.

Don't forget that two out of the three piers have a late opening on Mondays. They don't start operating the rides until 5 PM on Surfside and Adventure, so plan accordingly.

• Like 1

Can concur the flume is open for the season as is Pirates. Ghost Ship will not open this year.

Capt Jacks is great and all but if you've never had a drink upstairs at Joe's Fish Co, you should. Their food is good too. Best view on the island for thoosies like us.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, boldikus said:

Capt Jacks is great and all but if you've never had a drink upstairs at Joe's Fish Co, you should. Their food is good too. Best view on the island for thoosies like us.

Ha...definitely always go to both when I'm there. I like the atmosphere and drinks better at Jack's but definitely can't beat the view at Joe's.

And no problem with the 5pm opening. Only problem last year was my wristband was only good till 7 with the same hours, so I had limited time on Surfside and didn't have time to get to Adventure Pier to use the wristband. So all good this year.

3 hours ago, Zand said:

Ha...definitely always go to both when I'm there. I like the atmosphere and drinks better at Jack's but definitely can't beat the view at Joe's.

Last year we tried the newer Capt Jacks above the Boardwalk Mall and it kind of sucked - on two occasions. We had some drinks at the Capt Jacks across from Sams a few weekends ago and to be honest they were great. Sat at the back of the upstairs bar for the first time which was nice and breezy on a steamy hot afternoon. Apps were good too. Just prefer Joe's overall on all of those items and the view of Surfside is *chefs kiss*.

I also like the outdoor bar behind Jack's. Awesome breeze and views from there too. Lots of Adirondack chairs and cornhole games and such.

Yeah the new Jack's isn't as cool but we've...uhh...opened it for the day with a few Long Islands the last couple trips down so it's become a tradition to us to throw a few back at 11am after breakfast at the Pink Cadillac.

Man I'm excited to get back there 😆

• 2 weeks later...

Early report: Breakfast at Pink Cadillac was excellent as always, our traditional opening of Capt'n Jack's at 11 went off without a hitch, rode the world's greatest Boomerang which was great, and now sitting at Capt'n Jacks drinking Pina Coladas again watching them test Zoom Phloom so I won't be getting burned by a closed Flume today. Surfside opens in 10 mins. PigDog in a couple hours. Great White and Screamin Swing laps tonight.

I sure wish I lived here!

• Like 3

• 1 year later...

Got on Great Nor’Easter this past weekend and the Great White for the first time since I think pre-covid?

Gotta say even +/- 6 years after the re-track, Great Nor’Easter ran great. I get it, the SLC’s generally suck, but man I could have done a couple more laps on it. Aside from the one jolt after the in-line twists, still really smooth and fun. 

Great White really wasn’t bad either. A couple rough patches here and there, but was pretty enjoyable.

Sucks they got rid of the evening ride-only wristbands though, because at $16/ride for Great Nor’Easter/Great White, if you’re buying individual tickets, it’s a little crazy. And I have no use for the combo ride/water park package, nor the early bird wristband only valid until 7pm. 

Oh, I was there on Saturday too, and Ghost Ship is back open!....sort of.  It's only like a third of the layout, and still the same ticket cost it used to be (I think), but it's open and had maybe 10 actors in it.  Staff said it wouldn't be back open in full until next summer.

That, plus a lap on Great White, and a fun ride on Zoom Phloom (I was there with friends as opposed to solo, which is rare, so I wasn't about to pass that up), were my only non-waterpark rides.

Also of note, the Musik Express got a new color scheme and light package that honestly does not look good.

I started the trip with like 125 tickets on a card that I've been milking for years, and still have 80-ish left.

I was there two weeks ago and ended up biting the bullet on the rides/waterpark combo even though I had no intention of using the waterpark half. The before 7 rides pass totally blows when the two good piers don't open until 5. I definitely got my money's worth out of the $110 wristband in comparison to single ticket prices, but still ridiculous. That said, it was mobbed so why would they charge less when suckers (including me) are paying for it?

It was good to be in the Ghost Ship again even if it was only partially open. I rode Sea Serpent a ton early when just Mariners was open since there's nothing else good over there and that is the best Boomerang in all the land. And I love a good boomerang...going backwards through the loop is one of my favorite coaster sensations. And then naturally bracing for the head bashing heading into the cobra roll and then remembering you don't have to worry about it on Sea Serpent is always funny.

Atmosfear is still my favorite drop tower outside of Demon Drop. I rode Zumanjaro a couple days later and even that experience is ruined by a good Larson tower although the view is worth it. Enjoyed many rides on all the usuals on Surfside and Adventure piers.

Also stopped in Ocean City for a couple hours for my annual Gale Force ride plus Manco & Manco >>>>>>>Mack's.

9 hours ago, AmyUD06 said:

Oh, I was there on Saturday too, and Ghost Ship is back open!....sort of.  It's only like a third of the layout, and still the same ticket cost it used to be (I think), but it's open and had maybe 10 actors in it.  Staff said it wouldn't be back open in full until next summer.

That, plus a lap on Great White, and a fun ride on Zoom Phloom (I was there with friends as opposed to solo, which is rare, so I wasn't about to pass that up), were my only non-waterpark rides.

Also of note, the Musik Express got a new color scheme and light package that honestly does not look good.

I started the trip with like 125 tickets on a card that I've been milking for years, and still have 80-ish left.

I did notice Musik Express and went straight to google to figure out if I was going crazy. The mostly white color scheme is….something. 

I guess I didn’t realize you could carry over the ticket cards to new seasons - maybe that’s the move moving forward. I’m only there once a season so that’s good to know. 

8 hours ago, Zand said:

I was there two weeks ago and ended up biting the bullet on the rides/waterpark combo even though I had no intention of using the waterpark half. The before 7 rides pass totally blows when the two good piers don't open until 5. I definitely got my money's worth out of the $110 wristband in comparison to single ticket prices, but still ridiculous. That said, it was mobbed so why would they charge less when suckers (including me) are paying for it?

It was good to be in the Ghost Ship again even if it was only partially open. I rode Sea Serpent a ton early when just Mariners was open since there's nothing else good over there and that is the best Boomerang in all the land. And I love a good boomerang...going backwards through the loop is one of my favorite coaster sensations. And then naturally bracing for the head bashing heading into the cobra roll and then remembering you don't have to worry about it on Sea Serpent is always funny.

Atmosfear is still my favorite drop tower outside of Demon Drop. I rode Zumanjaro a couple days later and even that experience is ruined by a good Larson tower although the view is worth it. Enjoyed many rides on all the usuals on Surfside and Adventure piers.

Also stopped in Ocean City for a couple hours for my annual Gale Force ride plus Manco & Manco >>>>>>>Mack's.

Yeah, that’s just it. I bought the tickets after the 7pm cutoff, I’m sure the thousands of others did too. Ticket booths were consistently busy. Great White and Great Nor’Easter didn’t really have lines when I was riding, but they were both running 2 trains and both trains on both coasters were going out full pretty consistency so I guess they’re making their money lol

I wonder if someone would know but many years ago Mr. Morey lais out plans to build a huge twister/out and back wooden coaster that would start on one of the piers and travel underground to the next pier.  I don't know if it's still one of his plans!?  Does anyone know? 

48 minutes ago, ricklap77 said:

I wonder if someone would know but many years ago Mr. Morey lais out plans to build a huge twister/out and back wooden coaster that would start on one of the piers and travel underground to the next pier.  I don't know if it's still one of his plans!?  Does anyone know? 

It was actually supposed to travel above the beach between the piers, suspended on a bridge.  Here's the only proper concept art that was ever done:

I imagine it might still be in the works, but recent developments (such as Runaway Tram) were built in such a way that the original plans are now likely extremely unfeasible.

The owner gets asked about it every so often, and always give the same "We're always looking for exciting opportunities for future development!" type response.

Honestly, if it was a priority, (IMHO) they wouldn't have dumped $4+ million into retracking Great Nor'Easter, however much they spent on the retracking of Great White, however much they spent on the renovations to Sea Serpent, the addition of Runaway Tram, all of the non-park investments Morey's has been expanding into lately, etc. etc. 

Then there's also the fact that it would need to be certified and inspected by two different municipalities (who wouldn't have any legal authority to inspect the other half), which for anyone not familiar with NJ politics, is no small matter to overcome.  It would also need to get by all of the residents above Sam's Pizza who would lose their pristine view of the beach.  If you haven't been paying attention in NJ, people who don't even live in beach towns have be throwing an absolutely shit fit about windmill electricity generators 15 miles out into the ocean because it would ruin their view.

This was originally announced over a decade ago in 2011....I think it's time to give up.