TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Moreys Piers Discussion Thread

Sooooo maybe the retracking of the Nor'easter was a typo?

The Wildwood Boardwalk FB page just posted this drone video of retracking currently going on over at The Great White. Not that it really needed it, but I guess now we can rejoice!? If anything I'm happy that turnaround before the bunnyhops is getting the treatment, it was easily the most jarring part of the ride. Also, wonder if Martin & Vleminckx and doing the retracking since they did this a few years ago?

Sooooo maybe the retracking of the Nor'easter was a typo?

I had a sneaking suspicion!

The Wildwood Boardwalk FB page just posted this drone video of retracking currently going on over at The Great White. Not that it really needed it, but I guess now we can rejoice!?

I'll just be happy if I can get on it this year. When I was there last year, the only coasters I hit were Flitzer and Doo-Wopper since it was just me and my 4-year-old, and he didn't quite reach the height requirement for Rollies Coaster. With any luck, he'll hit a growth spurt this year and be able to make it onto Great White (oh yeah... and El Toro!).

Adding on to what Boldikus said, here's an article that details the 2016 plans! Aside from the Great White re-tracking (Thanks Morey's!), Kang-a-Bounce will be back for now in Sky Coaster's spot, the Go-Karts have been removed from Surfside and they report they will be relocated to Adventure Pier to join the existing Go-Karts (Bigger, better track?). They also mention the maze will be re-located to Tornado's spot on Adventure.

Back to Great White, I'm happy to see it get some new wood. Certainly not the roughest coaster in the world, but it definitely has gotten rougher over the past few years.

^ Ummmm... link?

It's interesting they are removing the go-kart track from Surfside. Not only has it been there forever, BUT more interesting about that is the path of the tunnel after the the first drop on the old infamous pier-spanning GCI that never seems to be happening would actually go right where that track is they are removing. Hmmmmm...

Also I guess they are expanding the go-karts track on Adventure Pier into the spot where the maze was, if they are in fact moving it. Both of those go kart courses (Surfside & Adventure) I've always felt are super lame compared to the course on Mariners. Its twisty, has elevation changes, its mostly under the boardwalk, and the little hop on the back straightaway where you can get a little air if you are going fast enough has always been one of the best things ever.

TGW didn't really need new wood but I'll take it. Like I said that 3rd turnaround (before the bunnyhops) was brutal but the rest was fine. So nice to see them taking care of their best ride.

Whoops! Sorry here's the link http://wildwoodvideoarchive.com/new-at-moreys-piers-for-2016/

1. Morey’s Piers motel, The Starlux, will be adding a brand new, top of the line, mini golf course. Future plans calls for The Starlux to expand and add 60 more rooms! My personal opinion is that this is great! Finally a new motel (at-least something like it) will be built here in the Wildwoods. Here you can see a video of construction workers ripping up the concrete on the first day of construction.

2. Morey’s Piers decided to part ways with the Sky Coaster on Surfside Pier. Do not worry about losing this attraction as Adventure Pier houses it’s sister ride. We will touch base on this below and at the end of the article.

3. Kanga Bounce is coming back this year. This ride will be located right where the Sky Coaster used to be. Let’s be honest, this was a fun ride and a kid favorite. Pictured here is a photo Morey’s Pier’s posted of the Kanga Bounce being painted.

Kanga Bounce Paint Moreys Piers

4. Formula One Raceway, the Go Karts on Surfside Pier, have been removed. Do not worry though, they have been moved down to Adventure Pier’s Grand Prix Go Kart track. Rumor has it that a new Go Kart track will also be built, but it’s just a rumor. In the drone video, you can see where the steps of the Formula One Raceway used to be. They are now covered up in new wood.

5. The Great White Roller Coaster is getting re-tracked. For those who don’t know what I talking about, it means that the old track is being ripped up and a new one put down so that you, the rider, has a smoother ride. In the drone video, you can see the workers working on the track.

6. The Tornado on Adventure Pier has been removed. As far as keeping the ride, I don’t think too many people will be missing it.

7. The Maze is getting moved into the Tornado’s spot right in between the Screamin’ Swing and Sky Coaster. My guess it’s to make room for a new Go Kart track.

These next things have been reported by The Press of Atlantic City

8. Expansion of the seating section at Joe’s Fish Company at Surfside Pier

9. Expanding Raging Waters Water Park.

10. Replacing the track on the Great Nor’easter roller coaster costing Morey’s Piers $4 million.

Edited by larrygator

Hmmm... On this article (at the bottom) it still says the thing about the Great Nor Easter retracting. I also wonder what the expansion to the waterpark will be!

I also think it's a safe to say that the GCI will be happening within the next few years because the sky coaster was removed where the drop would be and the go carts under the Boardwalk have been removed where the under the Boardwalk section potentially could be going. I'm pretty excited!

BIG NEWS: Morey's confirms $4million retrack of The Great Nor'Easter for 2017. Article is below however highlights include replacing 90% of the track with new track with "bendable technology" (still Vekoma), new name, and new colors. The park will run a naming competition.

http://m.shorenewstoday.com/wildwood/morey-s-nor-easter-coaster-getting-makeover-for/article_1aa03ed6-cc54-11e5-a07e-1b719a37abb3.html?mode=jqm

I just don't even know what to say.

Why oh why are they doing this? What is this bending technology? Vekoma is a big deal? Why aren't they putting this $4mil toward something new? This might be the most frustrating thing I've ever witnessed at Moreys in all of my 38 years of visiting Wildwood.

It says 'newest bending technology' so I guess they're just referring to the fact that technology has moved on a LOT since 1995 and everything is designed to a finer margin than it was 20 years ago. I know a lot of people look down on Vekoma, but they are kind of a big deal in that they're one of the biggest manufacturers in the world, plus it is a press release so is going to lay on the superlatives..... it's probably best not to read too much into it

I honestly think this great news. I've always loved the layout of Vekoma SLC's, but the roughness ruined it. If they are able to make this ride smooth like battlestar galacta or even B&M smooth... It could be a great ride. I wonder if they will be using their new track on the coaster or if they will be using updated, old track. If they make it enjoyable to ride it will be a huge plus (and be the best SLC in the world! ). The only thing I hope they modify in the layout is that they change the entrance into the double inline twist... That part is brutal!

^^^^^ Why are you opposed to making a good ride even better?

The new trains on the G. Nor'easter have GREATLY improved the ride. Rode it hundreds of times before and after, and the new restrains make it entirely different ride. Even my fiance, who always avoided it due to the headbanging, rode it with me last summer and couldn't believe the difference. The only other SLC I've ridden was Batman @ SFGA and hated it compared to the Great Nor'easter. I wish all OTSR were similar to the ones on the G.N.
Edited by larrygator

I just don't even know what to say.

Why oh why are they doing this? What is this bending technology? Vekoma is a big deal? Why aren't they putting this $4mil toward something new? This might be the most frustrating thing I've ever witnessed at Moreys in all of my 38 years of visiting Wildwood.

Being shoehorned into the water park area, maybe they realized there isn't much more of an option for a new ride there. New trains and new track could make it ride like new. I don't see a negative to this one bit.

^^^^^ Why are you opposed to making a good ride even better?

The new trains on the G. Nor'easter have GREATLY improved the ride. Rode it hundreds of times before and after, and the new restrains make it entirely different ride. Even my fiance, who always avoided it due to the headbanging, rode it with me last summer and couldn't believe the difference. The only other SLC I've ridden was Batman @ SFGA and hated it compared to the Great Nor'easter. I wish all OTSR were similar to the ones on the G.N.

LMAO Larry you really pulled that one out from way back! It's funny to see old posts and how your opinions/observations change. What can I say? That was two years ago and I was an idiot? I hadn't done much traveling yet and apparently I was still very green and hadn't seen the light! LOL. I mean, I was calling Batman an SLC and saying I hated it.

Really tho after I made that post I rode TGNE again that spring and was one of the roughest rides I'd ever had on it, and I haven't ridden it since. Truly scary sounds coming from that train that day. I've also ridden other SLCs since, and other B&M inverts since (Talon, Raptor, Great Bear) and I have come to understand the disdain. I've also ridden Batman countless times over the last two summers and have realized what I thought was rough was really just snappy and I really love the ride now that I know the course.

I'll ride TGNE, or whatever they wind up calling it, when it reopens, and maybe it'll make it a great ride again. I think my problem is that TGNE just feels stale to me. Other non-enthusiast friends who frequent Wildwood all seem to agree with me. It now seems to have very low ridership from what I see when I am in town, which is frequently. And this feels like a ton of money and I can't help but wish they would use all this $$$ to build something that will really get them some attention and this is not doing that at all. This is why you'll never see me bash people who complain their local park hasn't gotten any new coasters in 10-20 years, I feel their pain. I don't necessarily want the long rumored GCI but just something new, modern and hopefully special.

LMAO Larry you really pulled that one out from way back! It's funny to see old posts and how your opinions/observations change. What can I say? That was two years ago and I was an idiot? I hadn't done much traveling yet and apparently I was still very green and hadn't seen the light! LOL. I mean, I was calling Batman an SLC and saying I hated it.

I only posted the quote because people ragged on me for disliking Great Nor'easter. I can't recall if you were on the those people.

I really want to see the GCI one day, even if it takes 5 more years.

^ I have always defended the Nor'easter, for years I only really ever went to Wildwood and it was always my favorite. I had some good rides on it up until that last ride in Spring 2014. I still stand by my statement that the newer trains made a huge difference, and I can't see myself ever harping on anyone for saying they liked the ride. Again my problem is they are spending a large sum of money on something I don't see as worth saving. Hope I'm wrong since it doesn't matter what I think - Moreys gonna do Moreys.

I agree with boldikus. If we are talking even $1M, I'd be on board with the renovation. However, $4M is a very hefty pricetag for a 20 year-old ride that sucks and was never popular to begin with. And for a park as small as Morey's, $4M is a pretty huge investment that could have netted the a small GCI wooden coaster. For $6M, they could have afforded a coaster the size of Ravine Flyer II by either the GG or GCI. It only takes a couple million to net a top 10 wooden coaster, and I feel we will now have to wait at least 3-4 years until Morey's is capable of making this kind of investment again.

I agree with boldikus. If we are talking even $1M, I'd be on board with the renovation. However, $4M is a very hefty pricetag for a 20 year-old ride that sucks and was never popular to begin with. And for a park as small as Morey's, $4M is a pretty huge investment that could have netted the a small GCI wooden coaster. For $6M, they could have afforded a coaster the size of Ravine Flyer II by either the GG or GCI. It only takes a couple million to net a top 10 wooden coaster, and I feel we will now have to wait at least 3-4 years until Morey's is capable of making this kind of investment again.

You're better off looking at Great White (EDIT: AND Nor'Easter itself), which costed five and a half million dollars in 1996, as a comparison because it was built around the piers and on the beach as opposed to actual terrain. That's -almost- eight and a half in 2015 adjusted for inflation. So, the Nor'Easter renovation is basically half a decent coaster.

Also, what do you expect them to do? If they just go, "whelp, we'll leave it" it'll just make a half-decent-to-mediocre coaster even worse. If they remove it, what are they going to replace it with? To put another signature coaster in that space they either have to spend even more precious time and resources designing around the existing water slides and Zoom Phloom, OR build a new coaster and renovate the water park all at once.

You're better off looking at Great White (EDIT: AND Nor'Easter itself), which costed five and a half million dollars in 1996, as a comparison because it was built around the piers and on the beach as opposed to actual terrain. That's -almost- eight and a half in 2015 adjusted for inflation. So, the Nor'Easter renovation is basically half a decent coaster.

Also, what do you expect them to do? If they just go, "whelp, we'll leave it" it'll just make a half-decent-to-mediocre coaster even worse. If they remove it, what are they going to replace it with? To put another signature coaster in that space they either have to spend even more precious time and resources designing around the existing water slides and Zoom Phloom, OR build a new coaster and renovate the water park all at once.

Yes, I expect them to either bury it 6ft or keep it running until they make that decision. Essentially rebuilding a crappy coaster that has never been popular is the worst decision they could have made with those $4M. If all they got is $4M to work with at the moment, *I* would have left it in its current state until they could have put something new and exciting in its footprint. Whether that would be a coaster or a significant waterpark expansion, it doesn't matter...it'd be the wisest decision.

I think the $4M is probably going to be worthwhile in terms of ride improvement, but it isn't going to get the attention a new coaster would. But I'm sure they can say they already got their money's worth out of it. If it turns out really good, it will be the best coaster that could fit in that spot, except for novelty.

While some woodies might fit that spot and budget, the maintenance would be at least double and and you can't put a waterpark under them.

I think if there was only one SLC, it would be considered a fairly good ride. It was just like, why are you parks putting so much into even more of these things? And Vekoma, didn't you notice a tendency towards oscillation after the first one, fix it before building more? And maybe even, and now you're going to fix it 20 years later?

Holy continuous fourth order derivatives, is this exciting! I really cannot wait to ride whatever improvement Vekoma comes up with, assuming they've realized a bit of math is in order before the welding torches are fired up.

Holy continuous fourth order derivatives, is this exciting! I really cannot wait to ride whatever improvement Vekoma comes up with, assuming they've realized a bit of math is in order before the welding torches are fired up.

I'm guessing it will be the track style they used on Battlestar Galactica