TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Moreys Piers Discussion Thread

Morey's has listed their Sky Coaster from Surfside Pier and their Wisdom Tornado for sale on IRM rides.

https://m.facebook.com/pages/IRM-Rides/159151417432031

Both of those make sense. There is already another skycoaster on adventure pier, (and they both have low ridership because of the upcharge) and the Tornado is on adventure pier which generally has thrill rides so it doesn't really make sense being there. The skycoaster on surfside is where the drop of that wooden coaster was supposed to be though!!!

I could see a new thrilling flat ride going by tornado (Sky race maybe?) and maybe the wooden coaster is finally happening????

Interesting. Saving up some more cash for a coaster?

I think its safe to say the woodie is not happening for 2016. Maybe a coaster of some sort in 2017. But I have this feeling, based on nothing really, that the planned woodie has been shelved. I could see them shuffling a few things around and getting something completely different, with Castaway Cove getting Gale Force next year. Locals have been begging Moreys for a new coaster for years (just look at the comments on their FB page for proof of this), a compact looping/launched/combination of those steel coaster would require a lot less shuffling things around and would be more cost effective on a maintenance level.

Keep in mind not only would they have to shuffle around the entire front and north side of Surfside to fit that woodie in, but the old (Hunts) pier it was planned to travel over to and spend the majority of its track length on, is not just that go-kart track but also all of their storage and maintenance. And that all has to go somewhere. Something tells me the reason it was delayed is because it was maybe a little too ambitious. Those blueprints/model surfaced almost a decade ago.

Wow I just realized that including that, Moreys has FOUR go-kart tracks, one on each pier. Best one is on Mariners, always has been. Anyways, where are all the go-kart enthusiasts at? Any other parks have that many go-kart tracks?

Fun fact: a long time ago I once kinda sat in a little kids puke on that Tornado ride.

Also since the Morey's thread got bumped wanted to share a few pictures as the resident Morey geek around here. Posted on their FB page this week:

12063446_10153717687019586_7306216750381547965_n.jpg?oh=cf60c93f264c2d224dc21bf75beb7439&oe=56C17AD4

How many coasters can you spot?

And then this photo from 1985 of Sea Serpent, the first ever boomerang in the United States (and my first coaster w/ inversions, opened 1984), and the then brand new Vekoma made Giant Wheel (that thankfully has an awesome new lighting package). I rode both in 1985. I'm old.

Posted by Wildwood 365

12039418_10153225202393589_3342598888642474885_n.jpg?oh=c72282d306acc09747352ccb4aa2de91&oe=568760F3

I have nothing of serious interest to say here, just posting so I can have this in my saved threads.

I did get a chance to hit Morey's for a day over the summer with the 4-year-old. Hadn't been there in decades. Just as much fun as I remembered from my childhood, and he had a blast as well!

Hoping I can drag the wife and infant along next summer and possibly do the Breakfast In The Sky thing. Even though my wife is deathly afraid of heights, she saw footage of that and thinks it's really unique, so she is willing to give it a shot.

Wow I just realized that including that, Moreys has FOUR go-kart tracks, one on each pier. Best one is on Mariners, always has been. Anyways, where are all the go-kart enthusiasts at? Any other parks have that many go-kart tracks?

Not a fan of go-karts, but Mt. Olympus has 6 or 7.

Hoping I can drag the wife and infant along next summer and possibly do the Breakfast In The Sky thing. Even though my wife is deathly afraid of heights, she saw footage of that and thinks it's really unique, so she is willing to give it a shot.

My other half is dying to do this also. We planned to do it this year but its only during July and August and we weren't both down there on a weekend morning together this year to do it, so 2016 it is.

Pay Morey's lawyers, judge tells Wildwood

Posted: Friday, October 30, 2015 7:00 am

MICHAEL MILLER, Staff Writer

WILDWOOD — The city will have to pay the owners of Morey’s Piers $16,450 in legal bills over a lawsuit a state judge said was frivolous.

It’s the latest dispute between the city and its largest private employer. The Morey Organization sued this year to obtain public contract documents and clashed with the city over a controversial electronic dance music concert that eventually moved to Atlantic City.

This legal dispute centered on the city’s plans to open a beach bar like the popular ones in Atlantic City. But the New Jersey Division of Alcoholic Beverage Control denied the city a liquor license.

So the city began talking to Morey’s Piers about developing a beach bar at Mariner’s Landing near Schellenger Avenue. First, the city would have to allow alcohol sales at the amusement pier. But the city balked, instead wanting to allow alcohol in a Beach Zone, not a Pier Zone.

During the negotiations, the city claimed ownership of the Mariner’s Landing beach. Morey’s objected, saying the company had proof of ownership and would seek legal fees if the city took the matter to court.

The city sued anyway. Morey’s prevailed in July when the city decided not to pursue the issue.

Superior Court Judge Nelson C. Johnson this month said the city must pay Morey’s legal fees. Johnson called the city’s refusal to drop the lawsuit “inexcusable” since it had no basis to claim ownership in the first place.

Morey’s co-owner Jack Morey said he would use the money for a future community project.

“We’re really angry about this,” Morey said. “It’s lawless, bullying tactics. There’s no place for it in this town. It benefits nobody.”

Morey said the legal dispute led the company to postpone its Mariner’s Landing expansion by more than a year. The company wants to expand the waterpark and add a restaurant and beach bar.

Commissioner Peter Byron in an email said the issue of beach ownership came up when the city was drafting its Beach Redevelopment Plan.

“The city planner questioned ownership of the beach parcel east of the Mariner’s Landing Pier, and we determined it was best to have a court rule on the matter,” Byron said.

Byron noted that the city’s efforts to capitalize on its biggest asset — its enormous public beach — have generated $270,000 in new revenue this year from concessions and new attractions.

Morey and his brother, Cape May County Freeholder Will Morey, said the city lately has become an adversary of his business. Morey’s also does business in neighboring Wildwood Crest and North Wildwood.

“I cannot emphasize enough how we despise quarreling with the city of Wildwood,” Morey wrote in an email. “It is the only city we do business in (in) which we do not have a synergistic relationship. It just makes no sense.”

a future community project = new coaster?

• 2 weeks later...
a future community project = new coaster?

Maybe!!!

Pier Extension Application May Bring Smiles to Roller Coaster Fans

By Rachel Rogish | Posted 3 days ago

NORTH WILDWOOD ─ Due to Election Day, North Wildwood City Council held its meeting Nov. 4. As other communities throughout Cape May County stand on the cusp of change, North Wildwood carries on with business as usual.

A communication from Lomax Consulting on behalf of The Morey Organization was recognized as filed; Morey submitted a CAFRA permit application for "a proposed amusement pier expansion between Surfside and Hunt's Piers.”

According to City Clerk Scott Jett, the proposed plan includes what appears to be a roller coaster that loops between the two locations. Although only an application has been filed, the application "gets the ball rolling."

Under appointments, Mayor Patrick Rosenello presented three individuals to fill seasonal recreation positions. A single ordinance was also passed regarding parking and one-way streets, making "a small strip of road known as Weeks Avenue a two-way street."

According to the ordinance, Weeks was a one-way road before the amendment.

Under resolutions, an issuance of amusement game licenses was appropriated to W&O Associates for Gateway 26 and a 2015 contract was awarded for 2017 trench restoration to GWP Enterprises Inc. According to Ron Simone, administrative assistant, "it was the only bid we received."

In a separate phone interview, Jett gave an update on the progress of the city's second historical marker, commemorating the location of the 1904 boardwalk.

Apparently, a slight conflict between the contractor and public works slowed the process; however, the matter is being resolved.

The pole (on which the marker will be mounted) and the concrete work surrounding the marker will be completed at the same time. "It probably will not happen until December," said Jett in regard to the unveiling.

A third marker has been ordered to commemorate the site of the original Anglesea Hotel.

I knew them putting up their second skycoaster for sale in the spot where the woodie drop would be meant something! It better happen this time!

Also when it says "loops", does it mean it loops around Hunts Pier and comes back or does it mean that it will be inverting over the area between the two piers?

I am beyond excited for this!

Edited by Suspence1127

I hope this means the gears are finally turning on this but its hard to get really hyped after all this time. I wonder if they'll stick with GCI. When there are footers being poured I might get a halfy for this woodie.

• 1 month later...

If you've been to Wildwood more than a few times you likely know about Curley's Fries, Moreys fry spots that have been around for decades and have become a Wildwood staple. (Personally I prefer Pauls Idaho Potatos at Schellenger and the Boardwalk but Curleys are good too!). Anyway here is a cool video they posted of how they make these legendary fries.

[youtu_be]

[/youtu_be]

Is your mouth watering yet?

A few more things to share. This is an awesome ad for Morey's circa 1984. My childhood summers captured in 2 minutes. Back when we had two awesome Schwarzkopfs and that insane Canyon Trip topspin-type contraption.

Also I was in Wildwood for Xmas stuff over the weekend and needed to share this awesome pic we caught of the Great White by sunset, in hibernation for the winter.

greatwhite.thumb.jpg.9f4b2737eca9fe36eb264073c62dd7a3.jpg

Can't wait for spring!

• 2 weeks later...

According to this article, Morey's has some interesting 2016 plans which inclue expanding one of their eateries, expanding and adding mini golf to one of their hotels, water park expansion, and replacing $4 million worth of track on The Great Nor'Easter. Give it a look!

http://www.nj.com/entertainment/index.ssf/2015/12/wildwoods_morey_family_already_planning_for_summer.html

Ugh, I missed that thanks to the insanity of closing weekend at Great Adventure, and came here to post it. What are they even thinking? I'm so disappointed to read that and I'm hoping its just a misprint and they meant The Great White. If its not, why would they dump $4million into that piece of crap? Has an SLC ever had its track replaced before? Where can I get some of that good sh*t Jack Morey is smoking?

Okay, I'm confused. The other things sound great. Especially the water park expansion. That sounds awesome. Can't wait to see what they add there. But a retrack of a SLC? I wonder if he meant Great white. That would make more sense. Unless they are somehow getting vekoma to use their new track (like on battle star galacta and their new kiddie coasters) which would be amazing. I always loved the layouts of SLC's. According to people who have ridden the coasters with the new vekoma track those coasters are insanely smooth. And I think it's a possibility because battlestar galacta has an invert with the new track. If the great norEaster was almost as smooth as a B&M... I think It could become a pretty solid coaster.

It's probably just a misprint though. Excited to see what happens!

Funny enough, there is a guy in a Wildwood Facebook group I'm in, that works for Morey's Piers. He said about a week back, that the Sea Serpent is getting changes done to it's entrance, as well as the ride itself. Perhaps the 4 million dollar investment is into all 3 major coasters?

I've been following this dudes youtube channel for a minute. He is an artist/painter and works for Morey's hand painting their rides, among other things. His channel is generally awesome but here is a video showing how they hand paint the tea cups each season. Pretty amazing detail. There is also a nice little bit of drone footage of the piers and beach at the end of the clip. The rest of his channel is pretty entertaining as well.

[youtu_be]

[/youtu_be]

Heard on good word, that Great Nor-easter will be fully re-tracked, closing Labor Day 2016 in hopes that it is ready to go by July 4th weekend 2017 from a Morey's employee on Facebook. Does retracking this type of coaster usually take 10 months? This coaster was built for 5.5 million in 1995, they are about to pay the same to have it retracked. Me personally, I love this coaster and how it goes in and out of the Ocean Oasis water park. As long as you keep your head back, it's an enjoyable ride, I'm not sure a re-track of this can really improve it. Has Raptor at Cedar Point ever been re-tracked? To me that's one of my fav coasters like this.

^It isn't overly common for rides like these (Vekoma SLCs) to be 100% re-tracked, rather having problem sections removed and replaced with new track to smooth out the rough spots. They upgraded the trains back in 2006 to add the new SLC vest-style harnesses, which was a significant investment. I'm not sure that Moreys Piers would spend the money to rebuild the Nor'easter from scratch as it wouldn't yield a significant return on investment for them--the general public will ride rough coasters more often than not (exactly why The Rollercoaster/Manhattan Express is still running in Las Vegas at New York, New York) without caring in the long run just how rough it is (Drachen Fire at Busch Gardens Williamsburg being one particular exception).