TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

What Coaster Types Would Be Cool If Invented.....

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

agreed, but if a coaster were in a building with this concept, you could actually feel forces on a simulator. Imagine if you were in a spaceship going 360 degrees around a asteroid on the video screen, and actually feeling because while your seeing this, your going through a loop... just my idea. Love it or hate it

i have a couple of ideas

a stand up frequent faller

floorless water coaster, allowing the water to splash up onto your feet or the track could go under water and the train above, leaving your feet maybe a foot or less above the water.

suspended stand up, i always thought a stand up inverted would be cool but i see Elissa posted that idea.

How about a B&M stand up or floorless with a De Ja Vu type of layout...

-Vertical spikes

-loop goes over the station

-200 feet tall

the ride would be smooth (not like a normal Vekoma) and would have no ankle restraints so your legs would be dangling on the Vertical spike.

I made a similar type of ride on Scream Machines

my idea would be for cars they would have those gyroscope things they use at nasa where you sit in the middle the circles around you would spin,and to give it a twist,it would be hill lifted all the way to a 4 mile high tower then stop,and be rocket launched down a 90 degree drop while doing inversions,with only lapbars!

i had another kick ass idea. Imagine a SLC okay,if you wold put a regular train that was not like the ones on SLC'S you would be upside down the whole ride exept for the "inversions" a SLC coaster would have!

• 2 years later...

I've had an idea like DenDen's, sort of like a cross between a suspended and 4D coaster that spins on a predetermined vertical axis. Also, although this isn't really a new coaster type, I'd love to see Intamin or B&M try their take on the 4D coaster (not a ball coaster, one that spins at predetermined points). It's always seemed like such a great idea that was poorly done.

I have 2 ideas. one would be a coaster beneath the track suspended but it would be able to freely swing and rotate in a ball and joint axis. Like a spinning inverted swinging coaster!!!

Or a floorless coaster that would be able to move through the track to make it inverted and floorless

Go here http://www.themeparkreview.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=41656 for my other idea

How about a coaster with 2 sets of wheels, one below the seats and one above. Starts out as a (floorless??) sit down, but at the mid course brakes the top set of wheels slide onto overhanging track and then the bottom ones slide off the lower track (like the way water coasters get on and of the rails) and the rest of the course its inverted.

- Furious Baco with rotating seats.

- a suspended swinging standup coaster.

- I just want to ride something like Maverick's zero g roll before they took it out.

- a full circut impulse coaster.

- a strata coaster with inversions.

^^Eh, not necessarily. I remember about 10 years ago, there was a lot of talk and rumors about inverted stand ups. Most people came to the conclusion that there would be a small ledge that the riders stood on. That would make the most sense. Not that I think I ride of that type will ever come out. Stand ups are passed their time.

Nothing ground breaking, but I'd like to see:

-Inverted Intamin Rocket Coasters

-Intamin Rocket Coasters with a beyond vertical drop

-A little more experimentation with inversions on looping coasters. I feel like the loop on SOB was a pretty solid idea, but it was carried out poorly. I don't think they should try anything too crazy, but it'd be cool see to a few more companies take a few more stabs at loops and maybe even a corkscrew.

Does anybody remember Setpoint's Seismic concept? That was one idea I thought would take off and they never even got a prototype built. It was a standard looping coaster, only the track was fairly large and instead of having one train run on top of the track, it had two trains running on the sides. It was pretty much a racing, looping coaster that ran on one track line. It's a shame that nobody ever bought one.

I read a lot of these posts, worry about the fate of humanity, and then look at the age of the poster and think, "OHHHH... ok. He's never had a physics or engineering class."

whew.

The biggest problems with many of the designs dreamed up in this thread are stresses on the riders or the structure. Having some sort of system with two cars riding the same track (over/under, whatever) is going to take some seriously massive track structure to support all that weight. Remember, at the bottom of a drop when you're pulling 4 Gs, you have to multiply the weight of both trains and all those riders by a factor of four. That's a LOT of stress on the structure! It's possible, sure, but the track would be extremely expensive and the ride would probably be really, REALLY short to keep the budget in line.

As for things like standup inverteds, it's the stress on the riders that will kill the idea. Remember Mantis before the braked the crap out of it? I don't think any of us (well, any of us guys) cherish the idea of pulling all those Gs in an inverted loop while straddling one of those bicycle seats. (insert high-pitched scream here)

As for me, I'd like to see some sort of train that's sitting high above the track in the same way an inverted train sits far below it. The center of gravity being so far removed from the track would make for an interesting experience. Curves would be odd-feeling, and inversions would be really strange.

As long as you have the cars out there on sticks like that, you might as well make the seats free to swing, like on a ferris wheel. Doing that could allow for high speed screaming-squirrel type drops that go all the way around and under without killing the riders shoulders, since the seats would remain upright the whole time.... they might even flip once!

Of course, both of the above examples probably fail the real-world physics/engineering test as well, but since everyone else is dreaming...

In the real world, though, I don't see why we can't have a launched woodie.

^There would not be that much of a difference weight (and therefore force) wise between the seismic concept (two trains on opposite sides of a track) and the wingwalker trains on Baco. The big difference would be torsion (twisting) if one side had a problem or was much slower than the other.

As for my ideas...

a launched flyer themed to Peter Pan or Supes, honestly, who climbs a hill before flying?

or some innovation in waterrides, not that I've thought of any, but I would love to see this.

As long as you have the cars out there on sticks like that, you might as well make the seats free to swing, like on a ferris wheel. Doing that could allow for high speed screaming-squirrel type drops that go all the way around and under without killing the riders shoulders, since the seats would remain upright the whole time.... they might even flip once!

Of course, both of the above examples probably fail the real-world physics/engineering test as well, but since everyone else is dreaming...

My initial impression is that while I like the idea of free swinging cars, you hit a problem in as much as if they swing in the wrong direction at the wrong time, you might get pull 4g's forward out your seat into the restaint, which would suck.

Launched woodie/flyer?

Gets my vote.

I like the idea of a launched flyer, not so sure about the woodie. It would probably tear itself apart. Some of them do it without even trying. Psyclone at sfmm was a prime example of a woodie litterally tearing itself apart.

The coaster i'd like to see would be a variation on the 4D design by instead of having a set track to change the seat tilt instead a programmed computer controlled sequence using motors and an electric feed through a conducting rail on the track. This way the sequence of seat tilting could be changed every so often, unlike current 4D coasters, but without the total loss of control that is ball coasters

A Launched Limm Woodie with a vertical loop and some sidewinders, a water splash like on "Griffin" can be found near the end of the course and help it slow down.

A woodie which has 90% - 97% 1st drop is nearly real, just need a park brave enough to built the ride.

Any wood or steel coaster can be created it's the Parks which limit the design.