TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Roller Coaster of the 'Future'

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have wondered this for a while. It's a fun concept to think about. Looping wood coasters are growing. I would eventually like to see a complete circut roller coaster that operates backwards, preferabally a hyper coaster. Humans can only with-stand so many negative Gs, but while riding backwards you can experience much greater negative and positive forces. I think backwards airtime would be an odd feeling. We never really know. I have my heart set on majoring in engineering and hopefully design amusement rides, which is why I enjoy futuristic roller coasters so much. I guess only time will tell...

I might be wrong about the higher tolerance of backwards G force. Anyone else know? Wikipedia said no but I remember Mythbusters doing something about G force and forwards/backwards tolerance.

Going backwards or forwards does not increase or decrease the amount of forces the human body can tolerate, because if we are talking about positive G's and airtime, the accelerations that you are experiencing are directed towards the center of the circle that the track makes; this doesn't change whether or not you are going backwards or forwards. Forward and backward accelerations (like launching and braking) are a completely different story however and have very different limits.

I remember seeing an old Coney Island video of a really unique coaster idea. A coaster structure (track and supports) that moved and tilted in a circular fashion while the train was going through the circuit. Maybe this idea could be in the near future?

It'd probably be extremely small, no more than Wild Mouse size.

When I was little, I actually wanted to see racing/dueling coasters with at least 10 completely different tracks twisting around each other. The tracks will also not be colored so you will not be able to see what track you are on and, Like Maverick, there would be at least 5 trains in sight at all times.

Has any park built a dueling wild mouse? I reckon that would be a winner. And since they only need 2-4 people to dispatch each car, parks could keep both sides running all the time.

I thought Primeval Whirl could theoretically run that way but the rides are a little too far apart and...well nah. Close though!

I know it would be expensive, but I always wondered why no one has done like a turntable type ride, with multiple layouts, and the turn table spins in the dark, and you don't know what layout you get until the doors open and you're going up the lift.

That'd be nifty, obviously not something by a large company, but maybe like a compact Eurofighter.

I've always thought some kind of tracked motion simulator coaster could be built. Something enclosed with a screen but you are seeing something MUCH COOLER than what the coaster is actually doing.

You reminded me, I once thought of something much like Verbolten's inside section (sans drop track) except every surface covered with moving projections or displays (but preferably curving sections, so projection probably).

To some extent the future is here, designs are moving past the obvious goals of hitting certain sizes or number of inversions and exploring every possibility and combination. There is still a lot of room here. At the same time they are becoming more artfully designed and flowing. Accurate design software plays a big part, but there may be another step, something more like: instead of thinking in shapes and then trying to make that rideable, think in terms of forces and sensations, then create the shapes that will make those forces.

Launching is also in further exploration, not just a sensation in itself but in allowing a change in the dynamic and pacing of coasters. I can imagine a coaster that starts slow, gains speed into larger elements as it goes downhill, THEN gets launched into a finale. (However I hope we're at the end of multi-launch coasters that use launches to allow the ride to STOP in the middle of the course, while somewhat creative this is too remniscent of multi-lift coasters and their unavoidable shortcoming.)

I've always thought some kind of tracked motion simulator coaster could be built. Something enclosed with a screen but you are seeing something MUCH COOLER than what the coaster is actually doing.

I think the Gringots coaster at Universal Orland is rumored to have that kind of thing.

I have wondered this for a while. It's a fun concept to think about. Looping wood coasters are growing. I would eventually like to see a complete circut roller coaster that operates backwards, preferabally a hyper coaster. Humans can only with-stand so many negative Gs, but while riding backwards you can experience much greater negative and positive forces. I think backwards airtime would be an odd feeling. We never really know. I have my heart set on majoring in engineering and hopefully design amusement rides, which is why I enjoy futuristic roller coasters so much. I guess only time will tell...

I might be wrong about the higher tolerance of backwards G force. Anyone else know? Wikipedia said no but I remember Mythbusters doing something about G force and forwards/backwards tolerance.

Going backwards or forwards does not increase or decrease the amount of forces the human body can tolerate, because if we are talking about positive G's and airtime, the accelerations that you are experiencing are directed towards the center of the circle that the track makes; this doesn't change whether or not you are going backwards or forwards. Forward and backward accelerations (like launching and braking) are a completely different story however and have very different limits.

OK, thanks for clearing that up. I still think a backwards hyper coaster would be neat. Navigating through backwards inversions are pretty common with the boomerangs and other shuttle coasters. However, backwards ejector airtime (or standard airtime in general) has never been attempted yet. What about El Toro backwards?! If that's not a thrill, I don't know what is...

^Well, backwards airtime has been attempted a couple times before; KI's Racer and KD's Rebel Yell (and I think Carowind's Thunder Road as well; I've been on Rebel Yell and Thunder Road recently, they do actually have pretty decent air) had one of the sides with backwards trains before CF bought them, and Idora Park's Jack Rabbit had the trains placed backwards (and was renamed "Back Wabbit") in a desperate yet futile attempt to keep the park afloat after the famous fire that destroyed Wild Cat, and I think SFMM still changes one of Colossus' trains backwards during Fright Fest, but you are correct in that nothing is currently permanently a "backwards airtime machine" today that comes to mind. And yes I would see this as an interesting idea worth developing as well.

Has any park built a dueling wild mouse? I reckon that would be a winner. And since they only need 2-4 people to dispatch each car, parks could keep both sides running all the time.

Bobbejaanland had one back in time :

For the future, I'd like to see my

concept get to life..!

Despite the fact that it would be ridiculously cost-prohibitive, Mag-Lev coasters would be amazing! Imagine a flying coaster that would provide the closest experience to actual flight because there would be no friction, vibration, or noise produced by wheels connecting to track that would detract from the ride experience. Now, if only they could figure out a more comfortable restraint system...

Another crazy possibility could be to use the maglev system for a supersonic launched coaster. The gimmick would be a launch that actually breaks the sound barrier, so anyone would have the opportunity to experience traveling faster than sound. Just remember to keep your mouth closed...swallowing a bug at 768 mph probably wouldn't be all that fun!

It would probably never happen. The track would have to be several miles long, the neighbors would freak out about having to listen to a sonic boom every few minutes, and it costs over $30 Million per mile.

• 1 month later...

Well, with what has been done in the past, I can say that there are probably going to be many more steel innovations than wooden ones. Even though we have these wooden coasters with inversions popping up all over the place, I really think that breaking the 500 foot barrier is going to be the next greatest thing.