TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Goliath at SFMM

Alright, my trip to SFMM is almost here, like a month away, so I getting a bit excited so I'm cruising through RCDB and come across this pic and froze

is the first drop of goliath as intense as this picture makes it out to be, and how is the coaster over all

thanks in advance,

This picture is from RCDB.com

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

It's over 200 ft high, so I can imagine that drop is pretty intense. I haven't heard much about Goliath since other Mega coasters have overshadowed it. And not to mention last time I've been to Magic Mountain, it was in 1998 and Goliath wasn't there yet

Well, Goliath's got a 'rather' intense helix towards the end of the ride, which has been known to help people black out, so I presume it's pretty intense. Giovanola seem to be able to get some rather intense layouts out when they do it themselves, shame they're not doing so anymore.

I've only ridden Goliath once (in the front seat) so I can't really speak a whole on that ride's particular drop. I did however ride Titan (an almost clone) at SFOT several times the other week and thought that it's first drop wasn't really that intense, compared to say the B&M or Intamin hyper drops. I was frankly expecting more. Like others have said, the helixes are probably the most intense part of the ride.

It's not really intense at all. There's one decent moment of airtime, and while the helix can be intense, the train usually comes to pretty much a dead stop at the mid-course brake, making it so much less intense. It's an OK ride, but nothing compared to the S:ROS hypers at other SF parks, or even the B&M hypers...

dt

Well keep in mind, I have never ridden any hyper, giga, super, or whatever coaster, the bigget park, besides disneyland, ive been to is PGA. ant they don't have anything close to that

Honestly, it's the pefect "starter" hyper coaster for you!

The angle of the drop is VERY shallow. Whereas the arrows/morgans/B&Ms/Intamins have those sort of parabola airtime inducing drops, Goliath just sets itself at like 60degrees and produces very little of the extreme airtime you'd expect to get.

If you're still concerned, ride towards the middle of the train and look at all of the 7 year olds next to you riding!

Elissa "silly goliath!" Alvey

Well keep in mind, I have never ridden any hyper, giga, super, or whatever coaster, the bigget park, besides disneyland, ive been to is PGA. ant they don't have anything close to that

if that's the case, you will love goliath! i was in the same situation as you when i first went to SFMM. the rides can be intimidating at first but i was lucky enough to have friends to force me on every ride. now i can't get enough but like others have said, the helixes of goliath are known to cause blackout. also, the more you ride it in succession, the worse it gets.

^^really?!? i thought goliath would be the main attraction for me at sfmm. i have never been there before and i might be going there this summer or fall. goliath looked like it would be really fun for me, as i like roller coasters similar to that. i guess i will have to pick a new future favorite for that park.

but, i can only base what rides will be fun by the pictures.

^^really?!? i thought goliath would be the main attraction for me at sfmm. i have never been there before and i might be going there this summer or fall. goliath looked like it would be really fun for me, as i like roller coasters similar to that. i guess i will have to pick a new future favorite for that park.

but, i can only base what rides will be fun by the pictures.

if you can, go near the end of september as most schools in southern california would have started already. i went during that time last year and the park was practically empty.

I'm not sure if I would call any drop on a coaster "intense". With the exception of X that is The helix is intense but just remember to breath during it.

Michael" Goliath needs more airtime!"Thomas

I'm not a huge fan of helixes, and Goliath's is, as has been said already, pretty heavy-duty. But I really love the moment you get past it and the Gs suddenly let up...pretty cool. As is the plunge-into-a-hole-in-the-ground first drop...

Well, be sure to make Goliath your first ride. If you've never ridden Goliath or anything of that size before, you're going to shit yourself. I did.

The first drop really isn't that great. The pic you posted simply makes it look twice and big..twice as scary. Whats cool is the second drop and the helix. Atleast in my opinion.

Heres a good POV of it...

http://www.rollercoasterpro.com/onride_videos/goliath/goliath.wmv

I really like Goliath, boring or not. It is perhaps the smoothest coaster I've ever ridden, and I still enjoy it despite the fact that I wish it had an additional speed hill or two, or another helix and/or drop. With such a tall hill, 4500 feet of track just doesn't seem long enough.

It's also nice to have a ride without OSTRs.

Eric