TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Magic Mountain Announces "X2"

If Goliath gave you whiplash and caused you to black out you might want to see a doctor.
Well almost everyone blacks out, the ride is designed to do that. The whiplash wasn't serious, just unpleasant at the time. There was a part of the ride that jerked me backwards quickly and since the cars have no headrest my head kinda flung backwards since I didn't know it was coming. Again, not a big deal..I just personally didn't enjoy that particular ride so I have no plans to ride it again, but I love every other ride at the park, especially X and I'll definitely be back there to ride X2 as soon as it opens.

• Replies 339
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If Goliath gave you whiplash and caused you to black out you might want to see a doctor.
Well almost everyone blacks out, the ride is designed to do that.

Well, I know the Senior Lead at Goliath and he knows a bit about the ride. He says, it's not designed to make people black out, and almost no one blacks out on it. Yup, looks like you have issues!

Why would any ride designer intentionally create a ride that causes its riders to black out? That thought is just...out there.

Besides which, most rides have warnings out in front, at which time, you can decide for yourself whether you should ride. To my knowledge, no one is ever made to ride anything.

Eric

Well almost everyone blacks out, the ride is designed to do that.

Well, I know the Senior Lead at Goliath and he knows a bit about the ride. He says, it's not designed to make people black out, and almost no one blacks out on it. Yup, looks like you have issues!

Well everyone on the ride that got off with us did, and my 2 friends i was with rode it twice more, and everyone that rode with them on both of those rides did too. I waited for them at the exit while they rode the last two times and heard several people talking about it happening to them as they exited.

I'm not talking about full-fledged passing out unconscious, I just mean that the G's are causing your vision to go white. For me it took me like right to the edge where I almost couldn't see at all and then it levelled out.

^ If your posts don't start getting better REAL quick you're going to get blacked out on TPR too!
I'm sorry, I just mentioned that in passing as it related to X and didn't think it was a big deal, I replied hoping it would steer things back to X2 but it backfired, I didn't mean to hijack the thread, I apologize.

Maybe everyone on the train blacks out and gets severe neck whiplash ONLY when this dude rides.

^I don't think it has anything to do with you hijacking the thread. He may be talking about the quality of content in your posts. I mean, c'mon dude, the rides not designed to black out riders, you can't possibly think we'd all believe you...

I've actually heard the claim before that Goliath is meant to make you black out. The best argument I can give for why that is never going to be true is insurance companies. What insurance company is going to be willing to continue to give insurance to a park that has rides, designed to make riders blackout? If a person has a full blackout on the ride, and ends up with any kind of injury it would be very easy to sue the park for at very least negligence. I could even think that you might be able to say the park was reckless in allowing such a dangerous ride to operate. The point is, no insurance company on Earth is going to cover a ride that causes people even the slightest amount of injury (or black out in this case) there is simply too much risk involved.

Now as has been said, Tunnel vision does happen on Goliath, and there is really no danger to that. I've had the same effect before (although only once) on Viper coming out of the two loops. All that basically is (as I understand it) is blood being pulled by gravity away from your head. I bet if you had to endure that kind of stress long enough there would be some adverse effect, but 2-4 seconds worth is going to do absolutely nothing, other than make your vision get a little freaky.

I'm pretty sure the ride wouldn't be designed to 'make you pass out' since if it did, unloading the thing would take forever

It may well be designed to push you to your limits, or more so to the limits of the Health and Safety standards governing positive and negative G forces, and the time durations the rider is allowed to be subjected to the forces.

I've only been on it twice, and both times did suffer with my vision going black around the edges (tunnel vision I guess) whilst going through the helix. I wouldn't describe myself as having issues, because I know, or at least have read its not that uncommon. I didn't get whiplash from it, the only ride ever to cause me proper pain in my neck is X.

I've always found this to be an interesting topic. When I sit in the front of Goliath, or Titan, I don't have any problems. When I sit in the back I usually do gray out, one time i did so completely. However, as many people have already said, this is entirely harmless especially considering it lasts for maybe 3 seconds. As someone said earlier, I've also experienced and heard of a similar type of effect (not nearly as intense) on rides like Viper and Great American Scream Machine.

Still I don't think it has anything to do with the design of the ride, and I'm sure they weren't intending for anyone to black out. And keep in mind, tunnel vision or whatever you want to call it where your vision fades, doesn't mean you are about to pass out.

^All throughout the thread. If you're too lazy to look, I'll summarize.

- New Paint Job

- New lighter/less capacity trains

- New Tunnel with sound/lighting effects (rumored to be from the station to the lift hill)

- Redesign of station so no more seperate load/unload

- Closes next weekend, reopens Spring 08

Is that it?

^^The rides not even down yet.

They are really getting new trains. They are really going to give X a paint job. They are really going to be making a tunnel with 1, count it, 1 strobe light and a boom box playing "Heaven" by DJ Sammy and Yanou featuring Do.

Until the boom box batteries go out.

Then its just the strobe light.

From what I understood from the interview with Stan Checketts at IAAPA that was on the CoasterCrew site, there will be three trains, and that although each will be 1/3 lighter than the current trains with a slightly different design (the one shown in the pics) that the seating configuration of 7 rows/28 people per train will remain the same (although I am doubting they will run more than 2 trains at once). The restraints appear to be electronic rather than hydraulic on these new trains as well.

Pretty much everyone has said the station is being redone with one load/unload station, but I hope the dropping floor rumor is true as well.

I am not sure on the tunnel, but my guess it that the current unload station will be the new station, and the old station to the lift hill will be the "tunnel". Curious to see what exactly they have in store!

Will the track and support colors remain the same? Please tell me and thank you

It REALLY wouldn't hurt to do the SLIGHTEST bit of research...

almost everything is being changed on X, except the actual layout.

Which means new trains, new tunnel, new effects, new station, and YES new COLOR

Thank you, Mr. Sun.

Eric

Oh! And the environmentalists. Thank you environmentalists!

It would be lame if the tunnel was only before the lift, like Psyclone.

Oh god I can see it happening!

I thought the new scheme was red and black. It's grey? I could easily be mistaken on this.

I think they should keep the old color scheme. I mean, how many Lambo yellow and magenta colored roller coaster tracks do you see?

Yeah, I also have no problem with the current track color, but if they are changing, they should keep it Red and Black, not Gray. Gray will fade too soon. With black, it'll turn into gray and still look "acceptable" but I fear the gray would turn white, and look too much like Viper.

I think the ride would look nice with a dark red track, yellow rails, and black supports. That way over time, the red would fade into more of a reddish pink, and the black would fade to grey. Therefore, creating a similar color to the existing color scheme.

Only 4 left more hours to ride X before it closes down.

One station for both unload/load is going to be a nightmare. People already take forever to get back to there seat after putting items in the bins (what do they even do at X now with items i've never ridden it did they have carts like Volcano does).

Whatever i've never been to SFMM and won't be for years to come so I don't really care but it seems stupid to have one station. How many extra people does it really require to have the unload station?