TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Magic Mountain Announces "X2"

arrowfanman wrote:
I wouldn't be surprised if Goliath Jr. actually gets the axe

Jahan, aren't you an op on Goliath Jr?

If so, will you let us all finally get the credit before they do close it (if they do) or are you going to morph into the little titans rip op?

I try every visit in the vain hope someone might get slack on the rules, like I'm not that far over the height limit, only 3 feet or so.

$10 million seems a lot for what they are doing but if we get a far batter ride then great.

No, I'm not a ride op on Goliath Jr. And if I was, I couldn't help you. Asking to someone to break rider restrictions on a public board isn't the best way to go about asking.

It's pretty much impossible to convince an operator to let you on. Let's face it--why would they do more work while at the same time risking their asses for a credit?

Again, Goliath Jr. or Dejavu have still not been confirmed as to be removed. Anything can happen. You might still have years of trying to get on, ahead of you.

-Jahan

• Replies 339
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just had a sudden thought...

They can't keep Goliath's tunnel fog machines on...

They can't keep Batman's queue TV's to continually work...

They can't keep Batman's trench fog machines on...

They can't keep Batman's station fog machines on...

They can't keep the effects in Riddler's station house working...

But they think they'll be able to keep X's "high-tech" special effects working down the road? *worries*

Maybe next year, Magic Mountain can announce:

SCREAM LOUDER! transforming Scream! into California's first floorless coaster without a parking lot underneath it.

I literally laughed reading that.

I wouldn't want to see Thomas Town in the back of the park. One reason being, IT'S THE BACK OF THE PARK, somewhat deserted. Two, I doubt that large of an area needs to be used for Thomas Town. Think of future expansion as well. I'm sure they're still trying to preserve the land they own for bigger expansions, and figuring other ways to place other rides. Maybe we'll even see new flats in the next few years.

Ah speculation.speculation.

Yep I count a total of 14 coasters that are currently operating at SFMM. Remember when SFMM was in a race with Cedar Point? I think Thomas Town is a big waste when they already have Bugs Bunny Land or whatever its called. SFMM should have saved their money for a coaster bigger than X & Tatsu! Especially since Physclone is gone, & Flashback & De Ja Vu will soon be gone. Maybe the new X is preparing us for something gigantic!

Just had a sudden thought...

But they think they'll be able to keep X's "high-tech" special effects working down the road? *worries*

They will work as long as they promote the new effects. As soon as they are done promoting the ride, and the effects break, I doubt they will be

fixed.

^ Umm... Deja Vu is still operating, it has not been removed or even confirmed that it will be leaving. So 15 coasters operate at the park.

I can see why some people would consider a relocated coaster a new credit...but that's a stretch as it is already.

But to consider a coaster that's just getting new trains and some special effects and a slight change to the name doesn't make it a new credit. It's still the same effing ride!

Yep I count a total of 14 coasters that are currently operating at SFMM. Remember when SFMM was in a race with Cedar Point? I think Thomas Town is a big waste when they already have Bugs Bunny Land or whatever its called. SFMM should have saved their money for a coaster bigger than X & Tatsu! Especially since Physclone is gone, & Flashback & De Ja Vu will soon be gone. Maybe the new X is preparing us for something gigantic!

But that's exactly what Shapiro wants... less of a thrill park image and more of a family image. He's doing exactly what he said. He's taking out a few of the coasters to decrease the thrill image and he's upping the family image. Take a look at SFGAm. They already had Bugs Bunny National Park and Camp Cartoon Network and they still got Wiggles World this year. With how many major coasters SFMM has, I'll be really surprised if they get a big coaster any time in the near future.

Arrowfanman wrote:

No, I'm not a ride op on Goliath Jr. And if I was, I couldn't help you. Asking to someone to break rider restrictions on a public board isn't the best way to go about asking

Sorry, my comments were tongue in cheek, I don't ever expect to be riding Goliath Jr seriously. I'm just one of the terrible people from the arrow bus being stupid.

Feel free to delete my previous post, it was inappropriate, I can't delete it myself.

Woah, Batman has trench fog machines? I didn't even know that! Well, hopefully with these new effects on X, they can make all of the other effects on other rides work!

---Brent

Now, im no buisness expert, but I'm confused.

This will no doubt make the ride better, but TEN MILLION DOLLARS?

I mean, maybe the ride needed it, who knows how much of that will actually be used for the theming and stuff, but you can build Voyage and have a couple million to spare (according to RCDB) for that money!

I would think that would return the investment better than this will...

But then, who knows! Maybe they're not doing this to make money. Maybe they just wanted to have a little pride in their park by sprucing it up a bit!

Well, I didn't see this coming!

Personally, I think it has yet to be seen wether or not its worth pouring 10 million into SF's most notorious of money pits. On the other hand, this could be the next best alternative to a "new" rollercoaster at MM. I have to give Shapiro credit for trying to give character to this uninspired heap of technology. X might be a wonderful feat of coaster dynamics, but the ride has nothing more to it than that can be described on a fact sheet. No theme or origonality what so ever (outside of the ride's mechanisms).

I hope this remodel will take the ride from "Technological Metal Mess" to "1 Of A Kind Experience" status.

EDIT: I just read about the new color scheme. I feel like black and red is definetly the most fiting for a coaster this intense. Pink and yellow; what the HELL were they thinking?

I'm still struggling to work out how they are spending $10m for what they are doing.

I mean how much would those new trains cost? And the tunnel, I imagine it would something like the tunnels at Cedar Point with some lights and special effects thrown in. As for the loading bay, it's going to dual loading I think, a bit of work but not those dollars.

Someone must be making a nice profit out of this.

At least the end result will be good.

^^^ Feed the masses!

X2, huh? Whatever...

I was hoping for a smoother 4D, but it sounds like that won't happen. The 4D was a great concept, but I think what went wrong was the fact that instead of introducing the concept with a mid-sized ride, they went full bore---over 200 feet tall and over 75 mph. It would have been far better with maybe half the height and not over about 40 mph.

Another thing I thought about was the fact that X's trains are seven cars long---an awful lot of weight, but with only five-car trains, Eejanaika is just as rough from what I've seen. Obviously not the problem either.

"Is X2 a new credit?" Pffft. Credit whores...

And again, "Let's do special effects on a high speed coaster!" FAIL! That. Doesn't. Work.

So, will I ride X2? Maybe...once. Just to check it out.

Eric

yeah, Im trying to be positive about the "X2!"...

..... but C'MON!

the few thing I hope they do change:

1) that color scheme has got to go, Im sorry but the pink and yellow.... is for lack of cognitive words to express it awkward, and ugly

2) the rough-ness of that last raven turn (aka the wtf where am I and how did I get here turn)

I hope they don't change the color scheme of the trains though... becasue those strips with that weird color-ness on the fins, is freakin' awesome

I do have some questions though.... like, will it have the same number of cars per train (unlike Eejanaika). And (not trying to repeat what Elissa said, but) WHY!? Why are they making a big deal out of new trains, and adding all this lighting, and tunnels and crap that really isn't needed? (well the new trains are... but you get the idea)

*laughs* how long do you think the tunnels and crap will last?

I just hope SFMM doesn't make X completely suck-tastick. becasue hearing the screams of disappointed roller coaster enthusiasts is not a good scream to hear....

EDIT!: the new color scheme is just like Eejanaika!? WHHHHHHYYY!?!?!?

why can't it be something better, and not so freakin' brightly colored, maybe a dark red, dark blue in the rails, and maybe a rusty color for the supports... make it look like it's gonna fall or something (INDUCE FEAR FOR THE FIRST-TIMERS!)

Now, im no buisness expert, but I'm confused.

This will no doubt make the ride better, but TEN MILLION DOLLARS?

Now, I'm not in the roller coaster industry, but back when Oblivion was built, I heard a figure of $300,000 thrown around as the cost of just one of it's two-car, eight-wide trains. Given the sheer size and complexity of these, if that Oblivion figure is true, it wouldn't surprise me if well over half of this money is going to the new trains alone.

Can somebody with a little more knowledge provide a little more insight to this?

hehe, ya no more parking lot coasters! BAN PARKING LOT COASTERS!

As for the cost of this "renovation" for X: I don't think it that far fetched for 10 million for new trains. Think about it, Arrow/ S&S has only made 2 of these 4-D coasters, so that technology is still pretty advanced. Like it was previously stated I think most of that money is going towards the new trains. Becasuse honestly, you don't see Multi-Dimensional coasters popping up left and right... if the trains were readily available, it probably wouldn't cost as much as it does.

.....Or, someone wants a big Christmas bonus.....

This is funny to me for some reason...

It's kind of like their saying "Sorry all of the 'bells and whistles' we put into the the ride the first time weren't enough... LET'S ADD SOME MORE CRAP TO IT, give it a new paint job, and add a "2" to the name and market it as a completely new ride!"

Someone out there is clearly a genius!

Laura "anxiously awaiting "X-squared" Huls

This is funny to me for some reason...

It's kind of like their saying "Sorry all of the 'bells and whistles' we put into the the ride the first time weren't enough... LET'S ADD SOME MORE CRAP TO IT, give it a new paint job, and add a "2" to the name and market it as a completely new ride!"

Someone out there is clearly a genius!

Spooky, you're ok in my book. Well said.

I for one really like this ride. It desperately needs a new paint job, so that's a huge plus. I Always shuddered at the weird purple and mustard color. I seemed to think that black, grey, and crimson would be awesome. Either that or just strip the paint away and go with the raw steel. I think that would look very industrial.

I hope the additions will lend more to it's original theming idea of it being some sort of a UFO landing site. Perhaps this is what there going for with the tunnel. Some sort of weird space, drug trippy thing, with day glow aliens that wave at you as they try to dice you into bits with their light sabres. That would be Red Dawn Awesome!

As for the new trains, all I can ask for is a slightly smoother ride. I always ride on the inside front so as not to scramble my brains. I find it to be the best place to sit for a remarkably smoother ride than the rest of the train.

All in all. Change is good, and I await X2 with reckless abandon. Being that it surely will inspire a sequel to the classic coaster horror flick, "It came from the 4th Dimension!" (Now available in a full length DVD titled "What's in a Brain?," right here at Theme Park Review) Buy it tonight for your own personal entertainment.

I can only speculate what might emanate from the 5th Dimension.

All will be revealed next Spring.