TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Magic Mountain Announces "X2"

My only experience with 4th-dimension is Ejan, er, egani, er, that one at Fuji-Q, and, frankly, this doesn't excite me all that much--I'm just not crazy about this type of ride. The whole tumbling around thing doesn't appeal to me.

But to each his or her own.

• Replies 339
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They're spending $10 million to make the ride operate the way it should have when it opened. You can actually get a really amazing new ride for that much money. So you have to understand what they're doing here--"rebranding" the ride to try and generate the hype that a new ride would.

DCA wouldn't have recieved its $1.1 billion boost if accountants couldn't have shed some comfort in knowing that the elements of the park that are simply being "redone" would be able to be twisted and marketed in some way.

-Jahan

I'm just imagining the tunnel being exactly like SFGAm's Demon tunnel. Which would make it automatically the most awesome thing in the world.

Maybe next time they have to dump millions into the ride to keep it from not destroying people's internals, they can add a bear with beads or something too. Lost Coaster Of X Mountain, new in 2010.

Overall I like X, it's not something I do often mostly because of the wait times, but this should be cool to see what actually ends up happening. I'm more curious to what and where this tunnel they are adding is supposed to go and do. I don't think of that as over theming, lots of coasters have tunnels with lights and fog ("special effects") so it'll be interesting to see at the very least.

X2 will take you on a journey to a unique and unchartered dimension of extreme only Six Flags Magic Mountain can deliver.

Does this mean Guy's floating head will become a reality?

Dude I just fell out of my chair no joke laughing at that! Honestly. As long as it improves the ride cool. I just hope they don't flaunt the darn thing now. This makes me want to watch X-men United.

I can't wait to see this concept and the name isn't really cheesey when you think of it. There's Space Mountain 2 so why not X2? You could build a whole new coaster for that amount of dough, so there's so many possibilities and additions that they could add.

So I'm assuming there will be nothing done to the coaster itself, just new trains, tunnel, effects...ect. As exciting as this is, the only downfall is it will boost the wait time back up to 4-5 hours like it was in '01. I'll be very interested to see how it all pans out.

I'm just imagining the tunnel being exactly like SFGAm's Demon tunnel. Which would make it automatically the most awesome thing in the world.

Except that you have to hope they remember to turn them on.

I'll be interested to see what they do. We may not all be excited about a new paint job, but the GP typically does.

lol.

I think the phrase "you can't teach an old dog new tricks" sorta comes into play here. I think the 4D coasters are just doomed to roughness. Arrow tried to do it, failed miserably, S&S have tried to perfect it.. Not so perfect from reviews of Eeeeeee it seems.

Ah well, I eagerly await to see how many of the effects still work a day after media day.

I just rode X this past summer and I enjoyed it. The problem with the ride was that it can go from being an amazing smooth ride, to a rough piece of crap. This is a great move and even if the tunnel isn't really anything special, it shows that Shapiro does care and isn't just taking down another coaster. Shapiro knows, it's better to fix what you have, instead of just spending even more money on something new.

something tells me that these special effects might not be workable after a year or two...

My thoughts exactly!

Overall X's overhaul souinds great and most probaly will, but it may just end up being one big mess three years into the future

unless of course Shapiro proves me wrong...

Sweet, sounds great to me! I also imagine a Demon-like light tunnel at the bottom of The Drop, with you lying on your back looking up, could be a cool effect if the tunnel's long enough. Track is already dug into the ground, just need to enclose it:

http://www.rcdb.com/ig750.htm?picture=21

They didn't say how many replacement trains, I'm assuming 3 since it was suppose to have 3 train op? With the rumoured reconfigured station, 3 train op and a new GM to whip those lethargic ops into shape, could see the wait times drop as well.

S&S (more so than SFMM) has more riding on the success of this relaunch if they ever want anyone else to take a chance on a 4D. They had better correct all of Arrows mistakes and get everything right this time, espcially with Intamins Zac Spin now on the market. It is a great concept and I'd like to see some of the smaller 4D layouts show up at more parks in the US.

Not so fast guys...

Deja Vu is also on the way out.

If you read the press release, the park is claiming 14 coasters now, down from 15 in last year's text. One other coaster will be coming down with Flashback sometime this off-season -- and given the fact that the two other Deja Vu's at Gurnee and Austell are being taken down, I'm quite confident as to what else is being taken out down.

I'm actually impressed that they're investing that much money into an already existent ride to make it better. I hope these new trains will help the ride out, as I stopped riding it about 4 years ago after one too many brutally rough rides. This will ensure I ride it at least once more, instead of just strolling past the entrance like I normally do on my visits to the Mountain.

Not so fast guys...

Deja Vu is also on the way out.

If you read the press release, the park is claiming 14 coasters now, down from 15 in last year's text. One other coaster will be coming down with Flashback sometime this off-season -- and given the fact that the two other Deja Vu's at Gurnee and Austell are being taken down, I'm quite confident as to what else is being taken out down.

If Deja Vu left, that would reduce the number of "world class" coasters. Seeing Goliath Jr or Canyon Blaster (the ones I always forget are there) are on the list of coasters, it makes that distinction up for debate. That's probably why they mention 14 now that I think about it, clearly they are excluding one of the two.