TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Mitch's Coaster Poll

If a person's too fat to fit, then they couldn't have ridden the coaster, and have no business ranking it, do they?

And someone who actually goes to a park they hate just to ride a coaster so they can give it a low ranking in some poll needs a life.

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I agree. I stopped posting any preliminary results many years ago for that reason.

Perhaps I will even have to stop posting the ballots before the final results.

My bad, I didn't even think about people messing with the results if they had an idea who was winning. I'm sorry I will stop doing that in the future.

Good call Mitch, I check the processed ballots out to see how it's going but I just rate coasters how I like them. Not being able to see the ballots will certainly add some suspense to the final result.

Great poll by the way, I know Warner Bros Movie World used Superman Escape's ranking in your poll in it's promotional material after we let them know how it went.

I guess the only drawback of not making the processed ballots visible is you can't check your own ballot for mistakes, I know I made one mistake last year and had to resend my ballot.

I guess the only drawback of not making the processed ballots visible is you can't check your own ballot for mistakes, I know I made one mistake last year and had to resend my ballot.

I hear you on this one since I made a stupid mistake this year myself. I'll double check in the future or use the Coaster Fanatic shortcuts.

Just finished mine. Thanks for the applet Ted!!!!!

Top 10:

1. Ozark Wildcat

2. The Voyage

3. Balder

4. J2

5. Hades

6. Boulder Dash

7. Tremors

8. Tonnerre de Zeus

9. Avalanche

10. Coaster (Playland)

Bottom 5:

143. Mean Streak

144. Rattler

145. Twister II

146. Son of Beast

147. The Grizzly

However, realize you are a hypocrite if you rate "airtime" is your favorite attribute and then don't recognize air time machines in your rankings.

The problem with that blanket statement is that it assumes people rank strictly according to single attributes. I'm a Voyage #1, El Toro #2 guy. Ejector airtime is my favorite attribute, followed by floating airtime. El Toro provides ejector air in spades, but that's pretty much all there is to the ride. Voyage has tunnels, insane laterals, the trip out into the woods... it gets my #1 because I enjoyed the whole ride experience more than El Toro. You can't capture that stuff in just those six attributes.

Certainly, there's a lot of gray area in the voting. How many people vote The Beast or The Cyclone highly simply because of nostalgia? And how many people (like me) haven't ridden some of these rides in years and still hand out high ratings to rides like The Boss (or Ghostrider) because it was enjoyable two weeks after it opened, despite the fact that those riding it now would disagree.

That's why the most meaningful part of the poll to me is the data collected on rides ridden this year. It provides a good snapshot of what's currently running well versus what's an all-time favorite. It's all useful info if you take it for what it is. After all, we're not electing the "Best Coaster Ever ZOMG!!11!1" to preside over all coasters for eternity. It's just an opinion poll.

Top 10:

1. Ozark Wildcat

2. The Voyage

3. Balder

4. J2

5. Hades

6. Boulder Dash

7. Tremors

8. Tonnerre de Zeus

9. Avalanche

10. Coaster (Playland)

Wow, a GCI as your #1, yet no others in your top 10. An interesting list Jeff, thanks for sharing.

The problem with that blanket statement is that it assumes people rank strictly according to single attributes. I'm a Voyage #1, El Toro #2 guy. Ejector airtime is my favorite attribute, followed by floating airtime. El Toro provides ejector air in spades, but that's pretty much all there is to the ride. Voyage has tunnels, insane laterals, the trip out into the woods... it gets my #1 because I enjoyed the whole ride experience more than El Toro. You can't capture that stuff in just those six attributes.

I think Larry was referring to people who claim to like airtime and are sandbagging El Toro in the poll for some bizarre reason. You having El Toro at #2 isn't what he was talking about.

Wow, a GCI as your #1, yet no others in your top 10. An interesting list Jeff, thanks for sharing.

I really like the out-of-control rides followed by the ejector air. I also love fantastic endings like that. I still have Texas Giant at #15 for those reasons.

Other GCI's of note:

11. Kentucky Rumbler

13. Troy

16. Renegade

17. Thunderhead

The rest are at 39 (roar- SFA) and below.

I think Larry was referring to people who claim to like airtime and are sandbagging El Toro in the poll for some bizarre reason. You having El Toro at #2 isn't what he was talking about.

People sandbag Voyage too. I've seen a bunch of El toro number 1 and voyage below 10. I still don't get why it matters if other people like a certain ride people must hate it or dislike it. That goes for El toro and Voyage. Are coaster enthusiasts that immature?

People sandbag Voyage too. I've seen a bunch of El toro number 1 and voyage below 10. I still don't get why it matters if other people like a certain ride people must hate it or dislike it. That goes for El toro and Voyage. Are coaster enthusiasts that immature?

I've got El Toro at 1, and Voyage at 30. This puts Voyage roughly in the middle of my rankings. Airtime is my favorite, and Voyage quite often doesn't deliver the goods, especially earlier on in the day. Believe me, I've given Voyage a chance. I've been to HW 4 times since it opened. It's just inconsistent, and pretty rough at times. And even when it does deliver airtime, it's nothing even close to the kind of airtime you'll get on El Toro, Phoenix, etc.

I have had ejector air everytime I rode Voyage, a total of 30 times, and that includes some right when they open rides. From my rides, it seems the front doesn't have as much in front at first, but as it warms up, it gets more and more. The back seat has ejector and floater air everytime I have rode it, but it gets a little rough sometimes (that is why I like it).

That "bizarre reason" might be that even though they like airtime, and ET has it, that they ALSO like their wood coasters to feel like wood coasters.

I love airtime, and Germany's Colossus has buttloads of it. It's waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay down in my list, though, because it just doesn't feel like a wood coaster should feel to me. Interestingly, had it been a steelie it probably would've ranked much higher with me.

That "bizarre reason" might be that even though they like airtime, and ET has it, that they ALSO like their wood coasters to feel like wood coasters.

I love airtime, and Germany's Colossus has buttloads of it. It's waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay down in my list, though, because it just doesn't feel like a wood coaster should feel to me. Interestingly, had it been a steelie it probably would've ranked much higher with me.

I'm reading, "I enjoyed Colossus. But then I remembered it's a woodie. So I convinced myself I don't like it."

Huh???

Exactly! I would have a problem with someone who says airtime is their favorite attribute and then puts "do nothing coasters" ahead of an El Toro, Balder or the like.

However, Olsor does make a good point about coasters not ridden in years. The Beast had been in my Top 10 for years based on rides from over a decade ago, now that I have ridden it again it has moved down the list.

Even Voyage, yes I have heard of it's "demise" from last year, but I did not ride it this year and can not take someone else's opinion. I still have it ahead of El Toro.

Then I would expect that person to have Favorite Steel Coaster ranked behind every wood coaster.