TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Mitch's Coaster Poll

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

My top woodies are still Voyage and The Beast. Oh goodness, am I turning into an ACEr?

You ranked the Beast over Avalanche, Hades, Cornball Express, Kentucky Rumbler, Raven, and Viper (SFGAm)? Yeah, you're definitely eligible for a membership in the Gravy of the Month Club. Be sure to ask for that in your letter to Santa this year.

I used the CoasterFanatics thing for my steel coasters, but since I have so few woodies I decided to do it the "Old Fashioned Way".

My pathetically pitiful list.

1. Ghostrider

2. Blue Streak

3. Giant Dipper (SCBB)

4. Roar (SFDK)

5. Colossus

6. Mean Streak

7. Psyclone

8. Grizzly (CGA)

Gah, I can't wait to go to Hershey next year...

It was more difficult this year because of all the new wood on the midwest trip!

1. Voyage (yeah, yeah, I know..)

2. Cornball

3. Kentucky Rumbler

4. Raven

5. Phoenix

6. Hades

7. Avalance

8. Boulder Dash

9. Comet

10. Beast

So, 7 out of the 10 are new to me this year. Crazy.

^I'll be happy if El Toro beats Voyage, as it certainly should. But that doesn't seem likely this year.

Give Voyage a few more years to tear itself apart, and El Toro with its much more durable track and 12389041289381293x better airtime should beat it out.

I was half tempted to put Voyage at the bottom of my list out of spite, but I think I've got it at a 30 according to Robb's system for the poll.

What's funny is I had Voyage at #2 last year. What a difference a year and a bunch more credits makes.

I filled my ballot out. This year I had 41 credits to take into account. This is getting harder every year. Voyage and El Toro took my number one and two spots......in what order?.......Thats for me to know and you to wonder. *Insert evil laugh here*

I really do encourage everyone to fill out a ballot. Mitch's poll is by far the best out there, and your opinions matter.

I just sent mine in. I have never done the poll before partly because it seemed reall complicated, but the applet on Coasterfanatics makes it really easy.

But, I just realized I forgot to check the "Favorite Steel Coaster" box while selecting what coasters I have been on. Oh well, one guy forgetting something probaly won't throw the poll off too much, right?

^^ That type of ranking will only hurt the poll results and make the voter look like he has no credibility at all.

Yeah, I know. And that's why I'm ranking it honestly. People lying on ballots is worse than something being excessively hyped.

I *really* liked Voyage last year. I just can't see how a ride that is getting noticibly rougher, has trims that neuter a key part, and gives very inconsistent rides is the best woodie in the world.

But, I just realized I forgot to check the "Favorite Steel Coaster" box while selecting what coasters I have been on. Oh well, one guy forgetting something probaly won't throw the poll off too much, right?

It's not really a big deal. "Favorite Steel" is listed as an aside, and isn't directly included in the rankings.

The only problem with the auto-poll website link is that it becomes very unwieldy with lots of coasters to rank since there is no way to indicate a tie or to group rides. Otherwise, you're going to find that the poll results have an alphabetical bias.

My method is similar to Robb's, although I rank 1-5, and then group based on:

6 = would go to a park just for this ride

7 = would definitely ride if i'm in the park

8 = would ride if the line is reasonable

9 = would only ride if there's no line

10 = wouldn't ride even if you paid me

My top 5 are:

1. El Toro

2. Boulder Dash

3. Lightning Racer - T

4. Lightning Racer - L

5. Thunderbolt (SFNE)

Something tells me I need to get out to the midwest.

I *really* liked Voyage last year. I just can't see how a ride that is getting noticibly rougher, has trims that neuter a key part, and gives very inconsistent rides is the best woodie in the world.

I didn't find it rough at all, just aggressive. There were 3 spots that were actually rough to me as in they had potholes/bad shuffling (between the 90s, the onride photo turn, and coming out of the last tunnel).

The trims did hurt it for me which is why it isn't my #1. The triple down and two following hills were dead which I didn't like at all. However it did seem to pick back up at the triple turn thing when I rode it.

The inconsistency, which I have experienced for all my favorite woodies, is something I actually like. I kind of get bored with getting the same thing over and over, so having a blah ride followed by a really great one is something i look forward to. Never know what I'm going to get, what way the ride is going to track, etc.

The roughness that everyone talks about though, I just didn't see it. Legend's first drop? That is rough. Voyage? Just aggressive. Though as you pointed out on page 2, J2 is in my top 5, so I'm probably not one to take seriously as we have different tastes.

1. El Toro

1. Thunderhead

2. Troy

3. Boulder Dash

4. Cornball Express

5. My Favorite Steel

6. Phoenix

7. Rampage

8. Raven

9. Dania Bch Hurricane

10. Viper

Thunderhead kicked all sorts of ass in October so I put it ahead of Troy and in a tie with El Toro. I'm sure Troy will get better and had I ridden El Toro this year, it would have likely been alone at the top.

A side note, 3 of my bottom 5 woodies met their demise this year!!

Thunderhead kicked all sorts of a$$ in October so I put it ahead of Troy and in a tie with El Toro. I'm sure Troy will get better and had I ridden El Toro this year, it would have likely been alone at the top.

I think you effectively just put Thunderhead ahead of El Toro. Doesn't the poll more heavily weight votes where the ride was ridden this year?

I just used Ted's web ap, and the second step says "Select "Yes" for each coaster that you have ridden in 2006 and click the "Go to Step 3" button at the bottom of the page."

This is for the coasters ridden in 2007 correct? This is the first year I'm doing this, so I'm not too sure.

Sent mine in last night. Here's my top ten:

1. Balder

2. El Toro

3. The Voyage

4. Kentucky Rumbler

5. Avalanche

6. My Favorite Steel

7. Renegade

8. Cornball Express

9. Raven

10. Grand National

Of course, Son of Beast secured its position in last place!

Doesn't the poll more heavily weight votes where the ride was ridden this year?

Not that I know of.

I just used Ted's web ap, and the second step says "Select "Yes" for each coaster that you have ridden in 2006 and click the "Go to Step 3" button at the bottom of the page."

This is for the coasters ridden in 2007 correct? This is the first year I'm doing this, so I'm not too sure.

Yes, that is supposed to read "ridden in 2007". I just fixed it.