TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Where to get my winter fix?

I had a strong finish this year, managing to get to Cedar Point, SFGAdv twice, Magic Springs (Hot Springs, AR), and Dorney Park (Allentown, PA), all between Labor Day and Season End.

Now I'm wondering...where am I gonna get my fix this winter?

I know the obvious Florida parks (Dis, Universal, Busch Gardens Africa), and I believe some California and Texas parks have hours during Thanksgiving/XMas (e.g. SFoTx is open Thanksgiving weekend and then a bunch in December).

So my question is, what are the best places to go for winter coaster riding in the U.S.? I'm looking for great experiences at big or small parks.

Thanks!

Martin/milst1

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What about indoor parks like MoA and such? Arent they open year round?

Is MoA Mall of America?

I know the Sandusky, OH area has a number of indoor waterparks.

Are the smaller parks of TX, FL, and CA open over the winter?

I'm looking at RCDB's listings in TX and I see Wonderland, Kemah Boardwalk, and others. Do these stay open? SFoTx, SeaWorldSA, SFFTx: Are these open at all between January and springtime?

Just curious if anyone knows this off the top of their head.

Thanks,

Martin

Yeah, really, if you're up north already, just go to MoA (or WEM if you wish).

You do know NYC and MOA are not close to each other, right? Yes they are both in the "North" but they are not exactly next door to each other. THe trip there would require a flight and flying someplace warm would be cheaper and easier than flying to MN.

I'm heading down to Brisbane, Australia and hittin' up Dreamworld, Movie World, and Wet 'n Wild!

7-8 new credits? It will be awesome. I can't wait to get on Giant Drop, the Intamin Motocoaster, Intamin Halfpipe, Intamin reverse freefall.....Intamin heaven!!!!

There's alway Vegas, coaster fixes, cocktails and buffets!

SFDK makes a nice side trip from San Francisco. Will be open for their Holiday In The Park weekends from Thanksgiving till Xmas, ditto for Gilroy Gardens and their Holiday Lights celebration. Plus the SCBB and Nut Tree Family Park are always open weekends year round.

You do know NYC and MOA are not close to each other, right? Yes they are both in the "North" but they are not exactly next door to each other. THe trip there would require a flight and flying someplace warm would be cheaper and easier than flying to MN.

I realize that. To me, it seemed like he was asking for parks up north that operate year-round and those were the ones I could think of. And there's the obvious draw of new credits, I suppose.

Be careful if you decide to go to Kemah in Texas as that ride will be down for some time during the winter.

As for where to go...give us more information on what you like, where you've been, where you haven't been and we'll help you out!

Just a warning if you want to go to MOA, don't go since they're working on The Park at MOA, unless you want to see some construction going on! But they said that almost 80-90% of the park would stay open during construction so if you get the chance, visit MOA.

Well which is it? Go or don't go?

I'll be heading up to MoA in a few weeks. I like to get a quick fix during the off season there. I'm more excited about seeing the construction this year than actually riding anything.

Thanks everyone for the advice and tips (especially about major rides closed at Fiesta Texas)! We are now looking at an early December weekend in Tampa to visit BGAfrica (I haven't been in 10 years) and Cypress Gardens (never been) in Winter Haven, maybe with a stay at the Seminole Hard Rock (Cheryl likes blackjack!).

Be careful if you decide to go to Kemah in Texas as that ride will be down for some time during the winter.

As for where to go...give us more information on what you like, where you've been, where you haven't been and we'll help you out!

And thanks for the Kemah tip, SharkTums.

To address the other point, where we really want to go is on the TPR Japan 2008 trip and we're holding our breath that we'll get in on that!

Best,

Martin