TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Hypersonic XLC vs. Dodonpa

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How are people even getting cameras on Dodonpa? I thought that ride had like, THE most strict loose article policy of pretty much any coaster on the planet, yet I think I see someone a few rows up also holding a camera before the launch in the first video.

Actually, they regularly vary the timing of the launch in relation to the countdown, just by a little bit. On one ride you might launch early, while on your next you might launch late.

For a few weeks in 2006, they replaced the usual countdown with a famous soundbite from the robot cartoon "Gundam." The robot usually took off as its pilot called out, "This is Amuro -- I am going!" Or something to that effect.

Cool beans. I think I would have enjoyed that.

How are people even getting cameras on Dodonpa? I thought that ride had like, THE most strict loose article policy of pretty much any coaster on the planet, yet I think I see someone a few rows up also holding a camera before the launch in the first video.

Exactly. I guess video cameras are ok but hats and mittens are not. Oh well...I got the credit and never need to go back there again!

Exactly. I guess video cameras are ok but hats and mittens are not. Oh well...I got the credit and never need to go back there again!

Before anyone gets any ideas, video cameras are still definitely not OK. It was a one-time deal when the Youtube folks were on the park grounds. And they were only allowed to film the Youtube girls on that one isolated occasion (both Youtube videos posted a few days ago were shot on the exact same launch).

The only other time in recent memory that cameras were authorized on Dodonpa (at least that I know of) was for filming of the Amazing Race a couple of years ago.

Well I haven't ridden Dodenpa, but I love Hypersonic XLC. I was probably one of the last riders of it (October 07) and it was also my first ride and I really loved it. I still don't understand why so many people talk crap about it. I thought that it was pretty comfortable compared to some of the other crap I've ridden. I was totally expecting a head slam or broken legs, but to no avail. The only thing I didn't like were the breaks at the end, but I've experienced worse! I wish they would move it to SFOG and take out Georgia Cyclone or Ninja!