TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Pointless new attractions

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^ Really? To me it seems like Everest fits perfectly into the Asia section of Animal Kingdom. I don't see where the ride would logically fit in at EPCOT, considering there's no Nepal Pavillion. Have you ever visited Animal Kingdom?

^ Really? To me it seems like Everest fits perfectly into the Asia section of Animal Kingdom. I don't see where the ride would logically fit in at EPCOT, considering there's no Nepal Pavillion. Have you ever visited Animal Kingdom?

Expedition Everest fits in perfectly with the park and surroundings. Disney isn't going to spend $100 million to install an attraction Cedar Fair style. To me the look of the mountain, how it realistically fits in with everything, is the best part about EE. The ride itself sure ain't nothing special.

Major Hypes that aren't worth it:

The Dark Knight-(SFGAM) couldn't they have just enclosed Rajun' Cajun and been done with it. I would've rather settled for that and had them add a big new attraction to the waterpark. It HAS been rumored that Space Shuttle America and the Go-Karts are being removed for waterpark expansion. I'd like to see a propelled water coaster there- my .02 But I think I speak for all of the NW Indiana/Chicagoland area when I say- enough with the small rides- give us another crowd pleaser like Raging Bull. PLEASE!!!

Tomb Raider at KI- yay- let's enclose a fun (but no great shakes) ride, theme it to death, with a muddled story line, and watch people wait an hour for it. It was OK, but I waited 35 min for it on an uncrowded day. What a waste.

Wicked Twister- okay, so they put a spin on it literally, but why wait 45 min for this when you can get two rides in on Magnum? If it's a 15 min wait, then I'm all for it.

Son Of Beast- it LOOKS just awesome, but when I ride I have to sing "Hurts So Good" and try not to cry. (I have not been on the Loopless Version which from what I understand is a little less painful)

Excalibur at Valleyfair- it looks like it should be fun, but what a boring layout and ultimate Yawnfest. I add this only because when it was built they hyped it so much you would think that Jesus had been the carpenter constructing the ride.

MGM Grand Amusement Park in Las Vegas- the two waterrides were actually cool and the over-sized Sky Flyer was awesome. Everything else sucked like a vacuum.

Manhattan Express at NYNY Las Vegas- again, looked cool and like it should be fun, but I've never paid so much for a painful ride intentionally.

If I think of more, I'll get back to you.

Thorpe's re-installation of the flying fish confuses me slightly. Fanboys were crying out for it (as were families aparently) so they brought it back but they made no attempt to put the plants back in which made the ride fun.

Shame really, they could have made it a fatastic family ride with a consistent 20 minute line. In the end they got an average space filler that hardly ever has a line.

Boomerang Bay at GA, Disney's Animal Kingdom Park. It doesn't seem to fit the Disney style. I would get rid of Animal Kingdom & place Expedition Everest in Epcot's Switzerland area. Test Track should be upgraded so your at least going 80-100 mph for the whole time too as soon as you launch. Also at California Adventure get rid of Mailboomer & get Grizzly River Run riders soaked! (I didn't get wet at all!) For Toy Story Mania if I were Disney I would have designed the Toy Story Mania ride to be like Spiderman at Universal.

1.What makes Animal Kingdom bad?Nearly every attraction in Animal Kingdom is original and fun!

2.Hello?Expedition:Everest is themed after Mt.Everest,which lies in Asia,not in Switzerland.Also,Epcot don`t have an Switzerland area and has never had.

3.80-100 mph?Have you ever seen that Test Track uses the same safety restraints as in regular cars?If it had gone up to 100 mph,the speed would have been making people toss around in the car when it`s going trough the turns and maybe even cause injuries!

4.Spiderman is an thrill ride,way to scary for little children.

I still say that with Tomb Raider at Kings Island, they made little point putting a big metal beige box in Rivertown. The hydroflume that once sat there made far more sense, and was far more family-friendly. Wasn't that what (P)KI was all about at the time?

At Cedar Point, Wicked Twister's a fun ride, but I think they put it in solely to increase the coaster count. As one of the last posters said, Magnum does a lot more along Lake Erie with better capacity.

X2, oh wait, thats not actually a real new attraction...

I think I agree with whoever said Goliath at SFFT, The name just doesn't fit with a layout that is known for it's tight/compact nature, and there is a clone right down the road.

I also think Thunderhawk at MA isn't really pointless, but I think they should at least upgrade to lap-bar trains...

Excalibur at SFStL, it looks like a cool ride, but its seems a little random.

Are you kidding me?! The park only had like 4 flat rides when it was added and it was easily the best until they added S:TOP in 2006! It was definitely a great addition, and it fits the theming of the area great!

I agree with the Wicked Twister argument. The extra twist adds nothing, and the back seat (though widely hyped) wasn't any fun. I don't see the point of impulses at all.

Also, Goliath at SFFT and THBS at SFOT seem like pretty pointless additions.

I think Kings Island adding Top Gun was pointless. Maybe if it was closer to the main midway it wouldn't have been, but placing the station were it is was, IMO, a big mistake. I have never waited more than 10 minutes to get on the ride, even with only 1 train running........

• 4 months later...

Sorry to double-post, but I just realized how pointless of an attraction that Goliath is at SFFT this year, when there is the exact same ride 5 miles down the road...

Yes, I know the park's have different target audiences, but I think that out of all the park's for B:TR/Goliath to go to, SFFT was the wrong decision...

I really didn't get the point of Mantis at CP, back when it opened I got it but now it feels out of place with all the bigger and better rides around it.

I would say that more about the Iron Dragon than I would about Mantis in all honesty. When Mantis was built, it was the tallest, fastest stand up in the world. Yes, I agree in that it is a bit rough these days, although I don't think that it is all that bad in the front seat. I had a fun ride on it last year, although it is not quite as hot as Riddler's Revenge.

Iron Dragon on the other hand was an extreme disappointment from day one and a pointless waste of good space. I was thinking 'Big Bad Wolf' when it opened and almost cried the first year I rode it.

Avalanche Run (IE: Disaster Transport) was what I considered another pointless ride, although it does keep that coaster count up there for the records! Four hour wait the year that they did the transformation to indoor coaster and pointless millions spent on renovations....uggggh! I think that they could easily tear it down, put in a spinning mouse and another flat. For the dark ride enthusiasts...bring back 'Earthquake' or 'The Pirate Ride'!!!

I disagree with the comments on 'Wicked Twister'. Granted, I would not wait an hour or more in line for it, but it is a nice addition located in a cool spot on the beach. I have never had to wait more than twenty minutes in line for this ride.

^I like Disaster Transport, but I have to say that I think the transformation was kind of pointless. Didn't Dick Kenzel say it was the worst mistake the chain has made?

I think Kings Island adding Top Gun was pointless. Maybe if it was closer to the main midway it wouldn't have been, but placing the station were it is was, IMO, a big mistake. I have never waited more than 10 minutes to get on the ride, even with only 1 train running........

Since you're too young to remember the early days of Top Gun, allow me to interject. Top Gun was added back when KI had about half the coasters it has now. And it was a very popular ride in its day.The queue regularly stretched back to about where SOB is now. In fact, I remember generally avoiding Top Gun because of the line. Back then the Racer and Beast ran a lot better.

Now Top Gun is one of the few coasters in the park that is both fun and doesn't beat the crap out of you. Not a great ride by any means, but still one of the better ones in the park.

^I like Disaster Transport, but I have to say that I think the transformation was kind of pointless. Didn't Dick Kenzel say it was the worst mistake the chain has made?

While the conversion may have been a complete hack job, I don't think having an indoor coaster at Cedar Point is pointless at all. It rains a lot up there. With their BS rain policy the guests need something to do other than stare at puddles when the weather takes its inevitable turns.

Edit: I just found this on Wikipedia:

During any kind of rain, the ride shuts down due to leaks within the structure. The bobsled nature of the ride does not permit water on the track, therefore warranting a shutdown. Typically, the ride will remain shutdown after a period of rain until the trough is dry. The crew must cycle several trains through in order for it to dry.

Too cheap to fix the roof, eh?

My pet peeve is when parks take out classic dark rides for cartoony replacements (although I know the reason, I think they take much of the charm away from the park).

Perfect examples -

Phantom Theater to Scooby Doo

The Old Mill to Garfield's Nightmare i.e. the worst dark ride ever (my Led Zeppelin blacklight poster from 1984 was more exciting)

Well, speaking about my home park of KINGS DOMINION, I believe the act of removing Hypersonic XLC and replacing with another Boomerang coaster is pointless. I'm sure there are many reasons Cedar Fair is doing this (low rider queuing and high maintencing), but to replace it with another coaster that almost every park has got to be insulting. For many years and seasons I've been attending KINGS DOMINION, I always had the pride of knowing that some of the attractions the park has are unique and cannot be found at any other park. The Volcano: the Blast Coaster- what other park has that sort of ride? The same goes to Avalanche and the Ricochet (what other wildmouse coaster begins with a fifty foot drop?) and the Shockwave , the last stand-up coaster of its kind?

Now I could be jumping the gun here because I don't know what modifications they could be planning to add to this boomerang coaster nor even know if the new coaster will be a boomerang at all. But I hoping for the best that the new attraction that replaces Hypersonic XLC would be deemed worthy and not pointless.