TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Pointless new attractions

Has a park ever added a ride or coaster that made you think....."Why did they do that?" or, "There are many other things that park could have added, so why this?"

What is the main attraction that you think fits into this category?

I would have to say Scream! at SFMM. They plopped the ride down in a parking lot with no hype or anything. SFMM is lacking in flats, but instead of investing in them, they bought a multi-million dollar coaster that almost went unnoticed.

What do you all think?

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Haha. I totally agree with Scream! at Magic Mountain. That's actually the first ride that came to mind when I read the title of this topic before clicking on it.

That ride was easily over $13 million to build and was really not needed. X had just opened the year before and the park could have ridden out the momentum and hype generated by that coaster for a good couple of years.

In addition, Scream! is extremely similar to The Riddler's Revenge and Viper. It didn't really offer anything different to the roster of coasters at the park.

The fact that the park decided to plop it down on a former car park without ripping out the asphalt first or at least paint over the parking space lines also doesn't make it any better.

But don't get me wrong. I love that ride. It think it's really fun and overall a great coaster. It's just that the timing and reasoning in which Six Flags decided to install it was very unwise.

The story goes that SFMM bought Scream! quicky to keep up with Cedar Point's amount of coasters. Probably not true though because if they did order it right after hearing that Cedar Point was building a new coaster, it probably would have been a 2004 attraction not a 2003 attraction.

^Agreed, It was pretty pointless, It was only built in order to hold onto the most coasters in a park world record. It seems like a pretty weird choice if that were the purpose, I mean they could not have picked a more expensive manufacturer, and they seemed to go to the expense and effort of making it capable of running 3 trains they dont use (coaster trains are expensive), and being a big layout, yet at the same time they obviously cut costs in other areas (leaving the car park intact, a cheaply done station and queue etc)

To me thats like buying a $50,000 luxury car, but then saying "oh no, i don't want to pay extra for metallic paint because it costs $500.

Another one Ill add to the list is Surfrider at WnW, I mean an Intamin half pipe is just a really weird choice for a new ride at a water park, I mean there are still plenty of other waterslide types they could have gotten that they dont have yet, but they ended up adding what would have been a fairly expensive ride.

The story goes that SFMM bought Scream! quicky to keep up with Cedar Point's amount of coasters. Probably not true though because if they did order it right after hearing that Cedar Point was building a new coaster, it probably would have been a 2004 attraction not a 2003 attraction.

Yep, this story has been going around the community for awhile now.

It's true, if Magic Mountain had built Scream! as a counter to Dragster, it would have been a 2004 ride. Though it is considered a carbon copy ride, the ride did under some design changes from the original Floorless coaster in Jackson, NJ. For example, the support column placements on Scream! are different than Medusa at Great Adventure, it's maximum height is about 15 or so feet taller, with a steeper lift incline -- not to mention it's a mirror image layout.

And I figured if the park was solely building a coaster to keep one-up Cedar Point (at 2002, both parks were tied at a count of 15), they would've built something cheap like a Wild Mouse or some kind of medium-sized Spinning Coaster.

Boomerang Bay in 2004 at Great America. Why??? Worst amusement industry mistake ever. For removing a great coaster like Stealth they should have thought before making the final decision.

On a side note relating to Great America, I think when they sent Greased Lightnin to SFDK, SFDK should have just built it instead of selling the majority of it for scrap while parts went of to SFKK.

Boomerang Bay in 2004 at Great America. Why??? Worst amusement industry mistake ever. For removing a great coaster like Stealth they should have thought before making the final decision.

While it still pisses me off that Stealth was removed, Boomerang Bay has boosted attendance I believe.

^I'm assuming you mean cornabll express? How is that ride pointless?

Well, my home park's thrill ride list is basically: 1 vekoma boomerang, 1 Galaxi coaster(whicha re pretty small), and a couple of flats.

The rest of the park is full of attractions for small children or families.

And yet they finally get enough money to build a new ride and they spend it on new waterslides(that part I get, because the two existing slides always have a huge line), and a driving school attraction for small children... To replace a go kart track for children that was in it's place...

^I'm assuming you mean cornabll express? How is that ride pointless?

I believe he was talking about how CF added Cornhole, a crappy carnival game, to Geauga Lake.

Son of Beast gets my vote for dumbest addition. Wooden coaster engineers have known for years the folly of building overly large woodies. And Kings Island goes and builds the mother of all kludges.

Dumb. Dumb. Dumb. Dumb. Dumb. Dumb. Dumb. Dumb. Dumb.

They could have used that same money to build a B&M hyper. This would have been infinitely more popular, would have given the park a true marquee coaster, and would not have mangled a train full of riders. And with 3 trains they would have a serious capacity machine, which is something the park needs. Waiting an hour to ride a rough, obsolete coaster like Vortex is not cool.

a) Boomerang Lagoon in Boomerang Bay at CGA. Nobody goes there anymore because of the wave pool.

b) Monster's Inc. the Laugh Floor at MK. Monster's in Tomorrowland?

c) All Mack Supersplash's. I don't even get the point. You are at the top for like 2 minutes rotating and for what? To go up and down a little drop backwards. I just don't see the point of the turntables.

a) Boomerang Lagoon in Boomerang Bay at CGA. Nobody goes there anymore because of the wave pool.

b) Monster's Inc. the Laugh Floor at MK. Monster's in Tomorrowland?

c) All Mack Supersplash's. I don't even get the point. You are at the top for like 2 minutes rotating and for what? To go up and down a little drop backwards. I just don't see the point of the turntables.

Agreed.

Mine would have to be X:No Way Out. Yeah it went backwards in the dark, but now, due to safety reasons, they can't have the lights off, so why not retheme it?

Adding Christmas tree lights to the queue is not a re-theme!