TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Trip to Cedar Point - Suggestions?

SpartanTS

My fiance and I are planning on taking a 5 day trip to Ohio, with at 2 days dedicated to Cedar Point. So I have a couple of questions:

1. Is the middle of the week in August a good time to go? I plan on going on either a tuesday, wednesday or thursday in the very beginning of the month of August.

2. What rides should I tackle first?

3. Will I really need 2 days to take on the entire park?

4. I've found some shopping venues in the area, but else is there to do in the Sandusky/Cleveland area?

5. What are the crowds like at night? Since I may spend 2 days, I was thinking about going one day from morning to mid afternoon, and then another day mid afternoon til closing.

6. I'm just starting to turn into a "Coaster Fanatic", and in all honestly, TTD kinda puts some fear in me. I've ridden many great coasters, but none topping 300 ft+.

Any suggestions or helpful advice is greatly appreciated. I think this trip to Cedar Point will be even better than the trip we previously took to Universal IOA/US over spring break

BTW this is my very first post, so welcome me

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

WELCOME!

1. Not the best, not the worst. Expect fairly heavy crowds, but they should be manageable...smart move to avoid the weekends!

2. TTD will get some of the longest lines of the day followed by MF. Try to get these 'out of the way' and then while everyone in the park is waiting in line for those you can go conquer the rest of the park. Are you staying at one of the CP hotels? If so you usually get into the park early and can get on TTD or MF before the public.

3. If you've never been there before and want to ride the majority of coasters and rides...yes you need 2 days.

4. It depends what you like. For me, there is NOTHING else in Sandusky! The 'shopping' is bad, food is bad, even all the 'family entertainment centers' are bad! Cleveland is a big city with much more to do! Again, depending on what you want you'll find something else!

5. Maybe some of the locals can help you more with this one. From my experience I've always gone for opening...then maybe take a break in the middle of the day when it's really bad, then the last 2 hours kind of empty out again.

6. Well, welcome to our insanity...the ride might look intimidating but it's really quite gentle...go for it!

CP is VERY different than IOA, but I"m sure you'll have fun!

Elissa "my favorite thing at CP is the elephant ears!" Alvey

1. It isn't too bad. Cedar Point is always more crowded on the weekends. Even though the park has become somewhat of a destination, daytrippers still make up the bulk of the attendance.

2. If you can't get to TTD during early entry (hotel guests / Joe Cool Club), I would wait until around dinner time to get it. Lines for TTD generally mellow out around 6pm or so.

Avoid Raptor in the morning unless it is the first thing you hit. It's lines are much shorter in the evening.

3. It depends. I think 2 days is safe if you want to hit all the coasters. It is nearly impossible to hit them all in one day unless it is dead. If it rains a little your first day, then you might get them all in (read the daytrippers part again)

4. Don't forget that you are about an hour away from Geauga Lake and the park can be destroyed in a half day during the week. There is also the Merry-Go-Round Museum right in Sandusky and it even has a Allan Herschell Carousel (http://www.merrygoroundmuseum.org)

5. Evenings are crowded. The crowds at Cedar Point don't leave until they are forced out at gunpoint. The good thing is that Cedar Point only closes down the line for a certain ride at closing time. That means you get one "freebie". The park will keep running the ride until everybody gets a lap.

6. Now you are starting to scare me. You're turning into me? :shock:

welcome to TPR! I am sure that you will get lots of good input. You asked the perfect questions.

Just those two posts helped me out a great deal. I was thinking about staying at a CP hotel, but they are kinda expensive for my tastes.

I went through the CedarPoint.com site and they had a "Ride and Slide" deal. It included 2 days at Cedar Point and Soak City for $67 per person. While this is a great price, is there anyway the tickets can be had for an even better price?

Thanks to you both for the great input. I want to get the ball rolling early on my planning.

EDIT: Another question. If I get my tickets from an outside source, but stay at a CP Hotel, will I still be able to get in the park early?

You don't have to purchase your tickets from them. We had knotts passes, and stayed at Breakers Express for like $59/night and got in early for MF.

Elissa "the waterpark there isn't that impressive" Alvey

You don't have to purchase your tickets from them. We had knotts passes, and stayed at Breakers Express for like $59/night and got in early for MF.

Elissa "the waterpark there isn't that impressive" Alvey

Hotel Breakers Express rates are about $100 a nite in August . Unless I wait til August 15th, then it goes back to $69 a nite. I'm not sure I want to wait an extra two weeks, but if it's worth it, I will.

EDIT: Well can't wait til the 15th. Classes start back for me on the 18th. I may have to suck it up and pay.

Honestly if your concerned with the prices of staying on site(and who isnt), then dont. Plenty of places to stay in Sandusky, some very close to the gate. If your concerned about money, why waste a 2 day pass by only spending half of each day in the park? Just spend one long day there, from the time they gates open until the time they kick you out. At least thats what I'd if I had the choice of either 2 half days or one long day. Im under the belief that with even a little luck(Im talking about Dragster, mainly), you cant get on every coaster in that park at least once in a day, even on a pretty crowded day.

My Tips

1. Is the middle of the week in August a good time to go? I plan on going on either a tuesday, wednesday or thursday in the very beginning of the month of August.

yes very good, because school should be starting.

2. What rides should I tackle first?

Look to see if TTD is open or not. If is go to A. if not go to B.

A. TTD is open, get in line fast.

B. Go to Mantis, I know it sounds crazy, but if you dont, the worst line would be Mantis.

3. Will I really need 2 days to take on the entire park?

I took a Star Light pass (go in after 5pm) and got everything done. But I would sudjest it.

4. I've found some shopping venues in the area, but else is there to do in the Sandusky/Cleveland area?

There is a real good bar is you turn left at the CP sign, and go down the road aways.

5. What are the crowds like at night? Since I may spend 2 days, I was thinking about going one day from morning to mid afternoon, and then another day mid afternoon til closing.

Crowds at night seem to get larger. Especially with the teenagers coming. Just go 2 full days. Crowds are unpredictable.

6. I'm just starting to turn into a "Coaster Fanatic", and in all honestly, TTD kinda puts some fear in me. I've ridden many great coasters, but none topping 300 ft+.

When I was standing in line for Dragster, I was ****in scared. I about peed in my pants. But I did it anyways. And even after doing TTD, MF should be a peice of cake right? Well, to me no. It seemed a whole lot scaryier (sp) than TTD, that first 80degree drop I had white knucles.

Hi...

I just skimmed through everyone else's advice, so I apologize in advance if I repeat anything previously said.....

I think you will do just fine going on weekdays, that is what we have done in the past.

I highly recommend the Breakers Express. It gets you the perks of staying with Cedar Point, at at cheaper price than you will pay for their other properties. I believe we got early entry both days of our last visit, which was helpful in tackling coaster lines.

I love Millenium Force!! I was terrified the first time I rode, but think it's about the best coaster you could ride. Fast, smooth and that first drop! Wow! I also really loved... oh, God, I can't think of what it's called.... the other big one, but not TTD. Anyway, the one on the opposite side of the park. Now, as for TTD, we haven't been there since it was built, but I will not ride it when we do get back. Not that I am scared of the ride, just that I have health reasons that I just think that ride might not be a good idea for me. But, if it weren't for that, I would do it!!

It really is a nice park, and what I love most about it is that they have added all these truly impressive coasters without sacrificing a great selection of "flat rides" and traditional, old fashioned rides like their turnpikes and such.

There is not a lot to do in Sandusky, but if you head over to Cleveland there is Geauga Lake (also owned by Cedar Fair) and other attractions like the Rock n Roll Hall of Fame. Also, from Sandusky you can take the ferry or Island Rocket boats to some of the Lake Erie Islands, which are supposed to be nice.

Hope all this helps.

Shari "My favorite non coaster ride at CP is the Cedar Downs carousel" Shoufler

Every year starting from the second Monday of August the the Follawing Friday I do this...

-Monday,SFGAm.

-Tuesday, Holiday World and Indiana Beach

-Wednesday, Cedar Point

-Thursday, Cedar Point and Geauga Lake

-Friday, Michigans Adventure

-Saturday, home in Millwaukee

I do this trip everyyear and I am sure I can be done in less time but I like to take time out at each park.

Im sorry if this doesnt help but if you only have five days you should be able to hit all of these parks. Also I sleep in my car and I have a friend in Indiana and a relative in Sandusky so I stay there some nights.

If you are coming all the way from South Carolina to go to Cedar Point I think it would be well worth your while to spend the extra money and stay at Breakers Express. Not only will you get into the park early, but you will also get a very nice room.

Make sure you read reviews before you stay anywhere near Cedar Point. Not every hotel in that area is a "resort". And by all means ... avoid Dusk/Dawn hotel like the plague.

Well from what you guys are telling me, I may suck it up and stay at Breakers Express. But geez $105 a nite plus tax is just crazy for an express hotel.

But on the other hand, if I stayed at an outside hotel, and didn't get to get in early, i'm wondering how much would I miss? I guess that's depending on how many people are staying at the resort.

I'm thinking if I go on Monday and Tuesday, i'll be able to get all the rides in even if I don't get in early.

We stayed at Breakers Express, it was a very good hotel.

When we checked in they said "You room isn't quite ready for check in quite yet, would it be alright if we gave you a different room?"

Of corse we said yes, but that room ended up being one of the larger better rooms than then one we got.

I yea, I completley forgot to mention the Islands. We took a ferry to them a few years back, back in 2000 I guess it was. Really a lot of fun. You drive your car I think about 15 miles are so from the park to catch a ferry, then it takes you the 20 or so miles to the islands, we went to Put-in-Bay. Really a neat little island. Once you get there you can rent either bikes or Golf Carts(We did the golf carts, lots of fun). Then you drive them around the island the rest of the day, sightseeing. There's actually more to do that you might think, they are home to the world's longest bar(yes, its is LONG), some sort of memorial tower thing that is over 300 feet tall, and lots of little shops and stuff. Im sure you could find plenty of information on all this if you do a search for put-in-bay or something like that.

My wife and I did this trip back in May. We stayed at Cedar Point for 3 days at the Hotel Breakers. The link to the trip report is below.

http://www.themeparkreview.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2088

I am pasting our Cedar Point days below:

Monday, (5/23) Day 3: We went to Michigan’s Adventure to get some souvenirs and then leave. There were only 7 buses in the parking lot (we’re used to SFMM, or PGA buses of 50 or more). We couldn’t believe how empty the park was, so we rode Shivering Timbers twice, front and back cars. The back car gets a lot more airtime and it feels faster. This ride has the best airtime! We left around 11am. On the way to Cedar Point we had to stop at Bob’s Big Boys. Being a Michigan kid, you definitely know about Bob’s Big Boys. Gyendolynne never ate there before. We arrived at Cedar Point around 5pm and went right into the park instead of checking into Hotel Breakers. The line for TTD was long. We went to Millennium Force. The wait there was 50 minutes. It was cold, but they had the fans running in the queue?? What’s up with that? We were able to ride it once and then check into the hotel. Our room was above TGIF’s right off the elevator. How convenient! We went to TGIF’s for dinner the soaked in the hot tub. What a great way to end the day.

Tuesday, (5/24) Day 4: ERT on TTD was not that great. They didn’t get it going until 9:30 and we didn’t ride it until 9:45. We were able to ride it twice and then we went to Millennium Force where the wait wasn’t bad so we decided to ride the front car. I rode Mantis and Iron Dragon next. Gyendolynne doesn’t like these two rides because they beat her up. Next we headed to the front of the park to ride MaxAir. This is a good ride. The wait isn’t that bad, it holds 50 people at a time. Spinning 14 stories up was pretty cool. Disaster Transport was right there, so we figured why not. After DT, our Freeway Pass for MF was about to come up. We headed back there only to find out that MF was down. We rode Power Tower and saw that MF was running. After about a 15-minute wait, we were on it. Ya just gotta love this ride. I rode Corkscrew next. I found out that there was only a 10-minute wait for TTD. I got off Corkscrew and it started to rain. TTD was down now. They didn’t get it back up and running again until after 7:30pm. We left when it started to rain, but on the way out we rode Magnum and Gemini. Neither ride was all that great in the rain. TGIF’s for dinner…again.

Wednesday, (5/25) Day 5: The sun was out and the rides were running, all the makings of a beautiful day. Including crowds. My goal was to ride every ride in the front seat. I came up a little short. We were in the part at 9 am but ERT on MF didn’t start until after 10am. I know! 10am is when the park opens! We were around 7th in line, so we waited there. TTD wasn’t running either until after 10. We rode MF in the front seat and then headed to the back of the park. The back was empty. As we made our way up to the front, I kept riding all the rides in the front seat. I thought I could wait for TTD until the end of the day. The wait for it never changed. It was around 2 hours. We rode MaxAir, Wicked Twister, and Disaster Transport (yes, again). While waiting for Wicked Twister I was filming the Ohio Ocean, also known as Lake Erie (if you can believe it, a couple people told each other it was the ocean!). While I was filming it, a ride attendant said I couldn’t film on the deck. She was pretty nasty about it and said there are signs posted everywhere. The only signs I saw were the ones that said you couldn’t film ON the ride. I put the camera away anyway. For the most part the people there were nice, but they were so critical about the cameras. I took a picture of the sign that stated no cameras in the bathroom. It was before you get into the bathroom, so I figured what the hell. We rode the train to the back to check out a show, but found out that the show was actually by MF. The show ended up being so good that we watched it twice. It was a half hour show. We were there for an hour and a half. The name of the show is Rockin’ the Garter Live. It was fantastic. I highly recommend seeing this. We went back to TTD to ride it before we went to dinner. This time I bought a locker to put our stuff in. We kept our sunglasses on and headed to the line. One of the operator guys stationed at the entrance to the line said we couldn’t take the sunglasses on the ride unless they were strapped down, or secured in a zipper pocket. We just bought the locker. I was pretty pissed because we had been on TTD a couple of times this trip and never had this problem. We went back to the locker. The attendant there unlocked it for us without having to pay again. He made our day. We turned the corner to wait in line. I counted 30 people in front of me and 15 people behind me wearing sunglasses the same way we were. I decided to talk to the Freeway Pass attendant there. I told him what I thought. His name was Joe. He turned out to be really great. TTD had a problem going over as we were getting to the top of the queue. Joe’s shift changed. He ended up with us stopped at the top of the queue. I decided to tell him a few more things. I also asked a couple questions. The most interesting answer I got was about the seatbelts on MF and TTD. He said that Intamin took the seatbelts in a little bit more from last year because of the death on Superman at SFNE a couple years back. I was telling him that I know I am fat, but I fit on these rides last year pretty easily and this year was a big difference. While waiting for the first car on MF, we must have seen 2-3 people removed from each load due to their size. Some didn’t have any business riding it, but I thought some could still get on. Joe said that TTD’s seat gives you about a half inch more room than MF. That was why I could hook up TTD’s seatbelt easier. I thanked him for the information. We rode TTD. For dinner we went to Famous Dave’s. This place wasn’t crowded at all. It is a nice place to go for a change from TGIF’s.

Thursday, (5/26) Day 6: ERT on TTD didn’t disappoint. It opened right away at 9. We rode it 4 times together. Gyendolynne decided not to ride it anymore. I rode it 2 more times. We left after that. We were headed to Cleveland for the Rock ‘n Roll Hall of Fame, Hard Rock Café and an Indians’ game. The Rock ‘n Roll Hall of Fame wasn’t what we expected. You can’t take any photos or video inside (this was too familiar for our trip already). The artists didn’t want their items photographed since they donated everything. The Hall could have been better if they had a display for each of the inductees. They only had a wall with the band’s, or individual’s autographs in alphabetical order. We thought if it could be in the order chronological order by date inducted, that it might be better. Our plan was to go to Hard Rock Café and an Indians’ game. We parked our car in a structure beyond the left field fence of Jacob’s Field. The parking attendant told us to park in a reserved spot, which was cool because those spots were for the skybox holders only. She was so nice. We parked and walked to the Hard Rock. This HRC is big! The people there were very helpful. We bought our souvenirs and headed to the ballgame. Jacob’s Field is nice, but I thought Comerica Park was better. Our seats were behind home plate. As the stadium filled up, it became harder to see the game because the rows are much closer than they were at Comerica. We walked around after the 7th inning because it was so hard to see. The game went 11 innings, Minnesota won. We left before the end of the game and headed for Geauga Lake. It was only 30 minutes away. The Bertram Inn was a nice change from Geauga Lake Hotel. The reason we made the change was because Geauga Lake Hotel wasn’t open until Friday! Can you believe that? They aren’t open unless the park is open...se la vi.

Friday, (5/27) Day 7: We arrived at Geauga Lake 2 minutes before it opened. It wasn’t crowded at all. There was absolutely no wait, or lines, to get in. We went straight to X-Flight, it wasn’t open yet. We headed to Steel Venom, same thing. Head Spin (a Boomerang ride) was running, we went there. Typical Boomerang ride, it beat us up! I thought I could ride Mr. Hyde’s Nasty Fall while I was over on that side of the park, it wasn’t running either. At this point it is around 10:30, the park is empty, and we have ridden one ride because nothing else was running! A little disappointing, but it will get better. We headed to Thunderhawk and Dominator. Thunderhawk beat us up a little, but Dominator was an okay floorless coaster. I still like Medusa at SFMW. There were no lines whatsoever on either of these two rides, or the next 5 coasters we would ride. We rode Raging Wolf Bob’s, Beaver Land Mine, Villain (a little airtime, but Shivering Timbers was better), Double Loop, and Big Dipper. Next we finally made it over to ride X-Flight. It was the only line in the park. The wait wasn’t that bad though, 15 minutes. I rode it 3 times. It reminded me so much of Stealth. A storm was on the way. We saw that they had a Dino Island II show along with a new robots’ 4D show at the top left of the park. We headed that way. On the way we saw a guy fishing in Geauga Lake! That was a little different. We made it to Dino Island II just as the storm hit. Dino Island was the same show from SFMW. We liked it, and with the 4D effects, it was a little different (you will get a little wet on the ride). They put you in a simulator sort of like Star Tours. The Robots show was a little too long (at least 20 minutes), but it had some good 4D effects too. We headed out and I stopped to get my smashed pennies. I collect them. We left there around 5pm and headed to Detroit to stay with my Aunt and Uncle. On the way, we stopped at Tony Paco’s in Toledo to get a few hot dogs. Those of us that are older should remember Klinger on MASH talking about this place. There was a 35 minute wait, so we took the dogs to go. We arrived at my Aunt’s around 9pm. They had plans to go to Greenfield Village the next day for Civil War Remembrance weekend. My Uncle is a big Civil War buff.

So far, I'm not planning on staying at a CP Restort, but that may change. As for the entire trip, i'll be sure and bring it back from the dead once I my plans are written in stone sometime later this month or early next month.

Thanks guys (and ladies ) for all your input.

***MIND CHANGE**** SEE POST BELOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I've decided to stay at Hotel Breakers Express to get the park early both days of my stay at the resort.

The most important question I have is how crowded is CP on sundays and mondays in august?

You guys' help is greatly appreciated

• 4 weeks later...

the answer to number four is you totally need to ride the Jet express to Put-In-Bay...(mostly becasue I work there...but not at that dock)....yeah . Ride the Jet

www.jet-express.com !

in answer to the post above I would say that it depends on the year. This year seems to be kind of slow but things might pick up after x-mas in July. I'll check that if I a) get a chance b) remember....