TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

SFNE removing five rides this winter.....

So at SFNEs coaster event today... The park said it will be removing five of its rides this winter... But it will be getting a new coaster (woo)

Rides being removed -

Kiddie Bumpercars

Kontiki (Chance Thunderbolt) - May come back in a new spot with a new theme.

Rodeo (Huss Breakdance)

Double Trouble (Chance Inverter)

and the biggest shock.......

Catapult (S&S Sky Swatter...SFAWs SWAT)

Rodeo-

Kiddie Bumpercars-

Knotiki-

Double Trouble-

And Catapult-

Canobie "But.... I get a new credit" Fan

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow this is the 1998 SFGAd off-season all over again, but on a smaller scale.

I keep finding myself asking the same question over and over: "What the HELL is Six Flags Thinking?"

It's like SF has become the world's largest broken phonograph record.

Looking at the map, the rides appear scattered about the park, so no major clearing in one area. Sounds like they're just cutting cost by taking down low popularity/low running rides in kind of a hap hazard way.

Lotsa changes in all the Six Flags parks for the 2008 season. Save your park maps and postcards kiddies.

I'm assuming Kontiki and the kiddie bumper cars are being removed for The Dark Knight, especially since they said they may relocate Kontiki. But that's pure speculation. I've always thought they could do more with that section of land, especially with some "empty" space around it.

sfne.jpg.fdd549271293b223afc76bb208372856.jpg

Open space with Kontiki and kiddie bumper cars removed.

Park gm was on hand for the ace superhero event. he did confirm that the new coaster is a mack mouse style that they will be concentrating mainly on the theme and effects of the ride. He said "The theme will cost as much as the new ride" as well as they will add johnny rockets for 2008. They are slowly changing the south end into Gotham.

That's the good news.

Bad news is the fallowing rides will not be back next season.

rodeo, catapult, konteki, kiddie bumper cars, double trouble.

Also mentioned to not have a solid status is that the batman stunt show may have some thrilling replacement, park would not confirm weather or not this is the new coasters location or if it was to be a new show.

One positive note is that the re-themed swings were to be remove this season for wiggles world but the park rides manger did not like the idea of removing such a classic park staple ride. So they re-themed it and added it to what will be the Gotham section of the park.

The gm also mentioned they have bid to paint m.e. , flashback and thunderbolt waiting on corporate approval.

Reasoning for ride removal varied from low ridership to mechanical issues. Much of it is part of a major 20 year plan for the park, witch would eliminate the dead end paths making circular ones so you can travel the park better. They are also going to fully staff rides next season, use mandatory lockers at rides like superman batman and the new dark knight coaster to help speed loading times, riders will be required to use the test seat and height sticks to enter the line for the ride. No loose articles into the line like at many cf parks and fl parks. Idea is to up capacity of all current rides.

Superman was confirmed down till next season it seams to fix the issues with the lift chain some track will be removed altered and put back into place.

that's it for now.

Kontki was said to be rethemed and readded at a later date. Other then that all rides status is unknown.

riders will be required to use the test seat and height sticks to enter the line for the ride.

I expect that to get a ton of backlash. If they make everyone use the test seat that will slow down the line and if they make only people who appear to be "questionable" about fitting on the ride, that is also going to cause problems. People are going to be singled out which they aren't going to like, especially those that know they can fit.

That's a weird spot to put Dark Knight if that is in fact where its going to be built. Then again, look where they stuck the batman themed floorless, so far from the DC section. This being my old home park, I gotta say I'm not going to miss any of the rides being removed besides Catapult and Kontiki, I actually like S&S Sky Swatters and Kontiki's kind o grown on me over the years, hopefully they put it up somewhere else.

riders will be required to use the test seat and height sticks to enter the line for the ride.

I expect that to get a ton of backlash. If they make everyone use the test seat that will slow down the line and if they make only people who appear to be "questionable" about fitting on the ride, that is also going to cause problems. People are going to be singled out which they aren't going to like, especially those that know they can fit.

i agree, why go through so much trouble to do this and pay some one to do it when it would be much easier to get a more accommodating set of lap bars that would allow more people to ride, this has become so insanely strict since the accident a few years ago, their is about zero tolerance, many people who once could ride no longer can. why not get the retirants like el toro or something to alow for more riders and to be more comfortable.

They're not going to check everybody that enters the line, they are going to check people that look too large before they enter the line so they dont wait in line then not be able to ride and become angry, and this way it wont slow down the load time.

And its good to hear the GM say "Rides will be fully staffed next year," they probably took a lot of heat this season for budget slashing operations staffing to the point where corporate is going to focus more on fully staffing instead of staff cutting all the time now....

And we're going to see A LOT of ride removals coming from SF in the next few years, the new corporate office is not going to put up with maintenence nightmares/rides that get a lot of complaints and are going to be removing those rides (as we've seen with DejaVu, Chiller, etc).

I wonder if they are going to expand the water park into the area where Kontiki and the kiddie bumpers are.... that, or make a more logical entrance to it rather than having to walk all the way past Batman, the no longer dark knight.

If it is no longer dark, what is it? The dim knight? Maybe the light knight? Or how about "Batman: The Knight Light"...

Has a nice ring to it

Anyway, this kinda sucks. Catapult is one of the best flats there in my opinion, and Rodeo is a fun little ride, as is Double Trouble. None of those rides get big lines though, and two of them are pretty much mechanical nightmares. The kiddie bumper cars I couldn't care less about, and although I have never rode Kontiki, I'm happy that atleast one of the rides they are taking out has a future. And I'm also happy they aren't taking out Route 66, the park doesn't need to lose any family rides.