TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Space Mountain closed for two days in Jan. 2008?

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well it turns out that the ride may ACTUALLY be closed for a refurbishment. When I went to Disneyland on Thursday and rode Space Mountain, some things that startled me was some parts of the audio missing (such as the top of the first lift. There used to be a louder powering up noise. Now it's very faint) and there was duct tape on the rail in front of the rockets. So some things I want to see during the refurb is:

1) A singles line!

2) The music to be updated a bit.

3) Some Hong Kong Disneyland effects to come over to Disneyland.

4) The damn asteriod to work.

5) No scratched up paint or duct taped restraints.

• 2 weeks later...

About if Rockin' comes back wich i hope it doesn't, i don't think it will be returning because the Red Hot Chili Peppers thing was a temporarily only deal, but wasn't there also Rockit Mountain with Hoobastank with "Let it Out" as the soundtrack?

Disney would never close an E ticket Attraction to train new cast members... they either get trained after the park closes or while its open. I think Space mt. would be cool if they turned all the lights off so its completely dark and then flashed white lights ever so often so you could see and then not see.

Disney would never close an E ticket Attraction to train new cast members... they either get trained after the park closes or while its open. I think Space mt. would be cool if they turned all the lights off so its completely dark and then flashed white lights ever so often so you could see and then not see.

Fyi, they train people at Space while the attraction is operating. In fact, they frequently make the ride cascade on accident because they back up the station. Also, in reality average guests would not like space mountain pitch black ... I've ridden the ride many times with both the lights on and the lights off and I prefer the way the attraction is normally.

With all the Cast Members that i have asked, I'm 99% sure that Rockin Space Mountain will be back the same time next year. All the lighting is sill in there and so is the metal arches that you go through. It will hopefully be a different song but i would plan on it being back for 2008.

EDIT: Scratch that.

Not all of the current Rockin' effects were installed when the ride was refurbished. When people distinguish between Rockit Mountain (2006) and Rockin' Space Mountain (2007) they're really talking about two different versions entirely. When Rockit Mountain originally premiered, there were a LOT less effects than there are currently. It was certainly more tacky before. Between Rockit's closure and Rockin's debut, they added many more new effects and expensive lighting equipment. I've been on both versions multiple times (Rockit twice and Rockin' at least 6 times) and there were definitely differences between both of them.

As for Rockin' in 2008, it's been mentioned that if it does come back, it wouldn't be the RHCP again. Which, IMO, is a smart choice because they didn't work at all for me on Space. "Let It Out" was a lot more "rock" and gave the ride the oomph it needed to really be rockin'. The best part of the RHCP was the last 10 seconds when the soundtrack really kicked into high gear; unfortunately, that left you going "WTF?" the other 50 seconds.

I wouldn't expect to see it on Screamin' this year, either. Something tells me the ride will probably close sometime early next year for Midway Mania construction and/or a redressing of its queue.

EDIT: I just checked the Disneyland.com calendar, and there's no listing for a refurb of Space on those dates. When was the last time this info was checked??

^^ You say that you rode RockIt Mountain twice. But in Jahan's Grad Nite report, the line for RockIt Mountain was posted at 125 minutes! You mean to tell me that you waited in the line twice!

As for the information, the refurbishment has been taken down. But who knows what'll happen.

Oh, whoops. That's why I shouldn't post after midnight....then I make stupid mistakes like that. I've only been on Rockit (2006 version) once, idk why I put twice. Either way, it was still enough for me to notice a difference when I went on Rockin' the following Spring.

And yeah, the wait time was posted as 125 minutes, but it only took about half that. Somehow I think the absence of FP played a factor there....because all the attractions were like that. The waits were dramatically shorter than actually posted, though that's a different discussion in itself.

Also, in reality average guests would not like space mountain pitch black ... I've ridden the ride many times with both the lights on and the lights off and I prefer the way the attraction is normally.

I rode it last week in the pitch dark for the CM Halloween thing and definitely prefer the stars too, it was pretty strangely disorienting and didn't have the same sense of speed. It was still fun 6 times in a row though.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I for one actually want it back. I like the Chili Peppers, and Higher Ground on Space Mountain was Cool. They need to make it darker in there, but overall it wasn't that bad. The regular music sucks . But Screamin is better with the Peppers on it, and not the regular, sucky music. They need to keep the peppers on Screamin. They should add that to the to-do list of the new refurbishment.