TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Disneyland Resort (DL, DLR, DCA) Discussion Thread

p. 393 - Pixar Place Hotel transformation will be completed on January 30th, 2024!

^ I have the feeling, that if they try and do this in the Paris parks,

there will be another Bastille Day Riot, this one against Disney.

As for the Asian parks....who knows?

P.S. Note...it was the Paris park that fought for the right of male cast members

to sport facial hair...the old rule now feels/looks so antiquated....AND serving alcohol

within a Magic Kingdom. Any Magic Kingdom. Paris started the trend.

IMG_2356.JPG.138df857e393738a7b0513e0f35280a3.JPG

Can't wait to see Mater again, this September in DCA! (taken Sept.15~2016)

Of course, the only ones who have a problem with these policies are the smokers who don't care about anyone else breathing their disgusting smoke and the obnoxious a-holes that have no qualms about blocking pathways with their double-wide strollers.

My money is on the strollers being the bigger headache for the staff, particularly at the entry gates. You know there will still be parents trying to bring in their Winnebago-sized strollers and have a laundry list of why their kid NEEDS it and the entire trip will be RUINED without it.

The ice change is a little strange to me, particularly since I don't see a stated justification for it. I'd assume it's because people dump out the water once it's melted, or even the ice itself, because.... people.

Well in good news, they are bringing a new show to DCA, Mickey's Phillharmagic is coming to the Sunset Showcase theater! I think I would refer to is as an adaptation because of the limits of the theater. Good news to finally see an attraction back into the theater.

The ice change is a little strange to me, particularly since I don't see a stated justification for it. I'd assume it's because people dump out the water once it's melted, or even the ice itself, because.... people.

the justification I heard for it (from a friend who works at DownTown Disney) was that it was due to security reasons.

more specifically, that it's difficult to check for contraband among loose ice in a timely manner. . that with ice packs only, it's much easier to look into the coolers, and move the lines thru.

he also said he believes (tho I didn't see that noted anywhere), that once thru the security gates and into the parks, one can go to several stores and ask for (purchase?), loose ice to then dump into the coolers. I guess that would KIND of make sense? similar to how one can't bring a liquid into TSA security gates, but can buy sodas/liquids within the airport.

just sharing what I heard. .

Well in good news, they are bringing a new show to DCA, Mickey's Phillharmagic is coming to the Sunset Showcase theater! I think I would refer to is as an adaptation because of the limits of the theater. Good news to finally see an attraction back into the theater.

If it's the Paris single screen version, the best thing that can be said is that it's better than nothing.

I'd say it's probably worth it if you're willing to spend thousands of dollars to get all the advantages and perks with having a hotel room and early entry, maybe go for the VIP experience. But why any general public feels like they need to be there opening day, opening week, opening month, for Star Wars land and be a general public visitor is beyond me. The entire thing just screams disaster.

The crowds are going to be unbearable. Rides will have downtime. I imagine the 5 freeway Harbor exit will be absurd with traffic, and surrounding major roads are also going to be a headache for a while, not even for guests but people just trying to get to work. I think I recall getting in the park for free for an event a couple years back when I was around 10 years old, and good gawd it was not even worth the headache.

I'll probably wait a year or two before I even think about going.

But I'm so glad the park is generating an insane amount of notoriety from this installation. I can't remember the last time Disneyland was so hyped up for an attraction.

I'd say it's probably worth it if you're willing to spend thousands of dollars to get all the advantages and perks with having a hotel room and early entry, maybe go for the VIP experience. But why any general public feels like they need to be there opening day, opening week, opening month, for Star Wars land and be a general public visitor is beyond me. The entire thing just screams disaster.

The crowds are going to be unbearable. Rides will have downtime. I imagine the 5 freeway Harbor exit will be absurd with traffic, and surrounding major roads are also going to be a headache for a while, not even for guests but people just trying to get to work. I think I recall getting in the park for free for an event a couple years back when I was around 10 years old, and good gawd it was not even worth the headache.

I'll probably wait a year or two before I even think about going.

But I'm so glad the park is generating an insane amount of notoriety from this installation. I can't remember the last time Disneyland was so hyped up for an attraction.

So, you think it'll be less crowded in a year or two? I don't see that happening at all. This is Star Wars we're talking about. I honestly don't think Disney even fully grasps what they've done here....especially if they deliver on providing the immersive experience they are going for....as far as IPs go, this is the royal flush. There's literally nothing bigger. Major changes in how that entire park operates are going to end up happening as a result of the onslaught of people headed their way for the foreseeable future. It's going to be very interesting to see how this all plays out.

Major changes in how that entire park operates are going to end up happening as a result of the onslaught of people headed their way for the foreseeable future. It's going to be very interesting to see how this all plays out.

Changes are already happening. Disneyland's Project Stardust has been an ongoing effort to widen pathways and eliminate pinch points, and apparently it's been working.

Disneyland will always be a mess unless they basically rebuild the whole park. It was built to 1955 standards and it’s all been patchwork since then. The park simply doesn’t have enough space to put everyone not waiting in a ride line.

I agree it's gonna be really interesting how this plays out. I can't understand why they thought this was a necessary move. Not only do I not see the need for this to be in Disneyland Park, I don't know why it needed to be the first one to open, adding even more to the hype. Maybe since it's such an iconic expansion they wanted it in the most iconic park, and they wanted it there first. But Disneyland really already walks a fine line between being the "happiest place on earth" and "most stressful clusterf*ck" on earth". Like people said above that starts before you even enter the property with the surrounding traffic. If I was them I would be pretty worried that the quality of the product is going to be overshadowed by the maddening crowds surrounding it. For me, no matter how impressive the land looks I can't get excited about actually going there. I'm really excited to read detailed reports and reviews from afar, but even as a SoCal resident for the next year I don't plan on getting over there myself in that time frame.

In Orlando on the other hand at least they were able to build an entire land in Grand Avenue to queue the masses. They added a skyliner, new bus stops, tram stations, baggage check, etc. They even built a new E-ticket in Mickey and Minnie's Railway to absorb some of the crowds. I'm sure it'll still be madness in Orlando but I think they should've let it play out there for a couple years before opening the flood gates at Disneyland. I really don't see how this addition doesn't negatively impact the rest of the Disneyland park experience over the next couple of years. And I don't care at all that they're messing with "Walt's park", that isn't my point.

So we're hearing rumours that Galaxy's Edge will have a fastpass-type system to enter the land after the reservation system ends in late June. Seems like a decent way to do it.

Travel+Leisure: You'll Need More Than a Disneyland Ticket to Get Into Star Wars Land When It Opens This Summer

https://www.travelandleisure.com/travel-news/disneyland-star-wars-land-may-2019

I agree it's gonna be really interesting how this plays out. I can't understand why they thought this was a necessary move. Not only do I not see the need for this to be in Disneyland Park, I don't know why it needed to be the first one to open, adding even more to the hype. Maybe since it's such an iconic expansion they wanted it in the most iconic park, and they wanted it there first. But Disneyland really already walks a fine line between being the "happiest place on earth" and "most stressful clusterf*ck" on earth". Like people said above that starts before you even enter the property with the surrounding traffic. If I was them I would be pretty worried that the quality of the product is going to be overshadowed by the maddening crowds surrounding it. For me, no matter how impressive the land looks I can't get excited about actually going there. I'm really excited to read detailed reports and reviews from afar, but even as a SoCal resident for the next year I don't plan on getting over there myself in that time frame.

In Orlando on the other hand at least they were able to build an entire land in Grand Avenue to queue the masses. They added a skyliner, new bus stops, tram stations, baggage check, etc. They even built a new E-ticket in Mickey and Minnie's Railway to absorb some of the crowds. I'm sure it'll still be madness in Orlando but I think they should've let it play out there for a couple years before opening the flood gates at Disneyland. I really don't see how this addition doesn't negatively impact the rest of the Disneyland park experience over the next couple of years. And I don't care at all that they're messing with "Walt's park", that isn't my point.

Disney's primary mission isn't to make sure you can leisurely stroll through an empty Star Wars land. It's to maximize the wealth of their shareholders. That's accomplished by building this sort of thing, thereby sending the value of the brand as well as ticket sales, merch sales, hotel occupancy and more through the roof. The rest is little more than adhering to various building and safety codes, demands of scary lawyers, and the terms of very expensive insurance policies.

Some others on this forum would disagree with you. Fortnite, anyone? [emoji23]

Fortnite may be ultra-popular now but it's going to eventually simmer down and have a smaller, but consistent player base like Minecraft or Grand Theft Auto 5. The Battle Royale video game genre is itself a fad that will not last. I don't even think that Fortnite would be anywhere near as popular as it is now had it not been sold as a free-to-start game and / or piggybacked off of PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds.

The reason why franchises such as Star Wars, Star Trek, Indiana Jones, Marvel Comics, DC Comics, et al remain popular is that they go beyond their original mediums. You don't see people writing "extended universe" novels about Fortnite. Fortnite doesn't have ten (mostly pretty great) films and several animated series. People love Fortnite for sure, but I'm not sure we'll ever see people "connect" with Fortnite like they do with the I.P.s previously mentioned.

Oh, A.J., I am well aware... I was just referring to someone in the SFA thread who is completely delusional in the power of Fortnite and won't stop posting about how profitable it would be, where they could build it, etc. Hell, I don't know anything about it, or care to know for that matter, but I know it's not going to have any sort of power against Star Wars.... lol.

Please no more Fortnite discussion, I should have never brought it up lol. Go get your fix in the SFA thread

iwjkehrgyuh596jiop-624x352.jpg.a6661160e433023a8563d3fb73ad2ffa.jpg

Jessie’s Critter Carousel Now Open for a Rootin’ Tootin’ Good Time at Pixar Pier in Disney California Adventure Park

https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2019/04/jessies-critter-carousel-now-open-for-a-rootin-tootin-good-time-at-pixar-pier-in-disney-california-adventure-park/

Mosey on over to Pixar Pier in Disney California Adventure park and take a spin on Jessie’s Critter Carousel, now open! This giant toy carousel stars Jessie, the yodeling cowgirl and a friendly bunch of desert critters inspired by the “Toy Story” films. Hop on and yell “giddyup!” from the saddle of a whimsical snake, armadillo, turtle, bunny or other critters from the world of Woody’s Roundup. Check out the video below!

Jessie’s Critter Carousel can be found in Toy Story Boardwalk of Pixar Pier, which celebrates the stories and characters at Disney•Pixar films with exciting attractions, themed neighborhoods and fun eateries.

that looks really great!

I think the standout to me (without having seen it in person), is the building design. That capper appears to have lights in it, and is going to look incredible at night.

and the full size Jessie out front? instant must stop photo op.

nice work on the re-theme!

Disney's primary mission isn't to make sure you can leisurely stroll through an empty Star Wars land. It's to maximize the wealth of their shareholders. That's accomplished by building this sort of thing, thereby sending the value of the brand as well as ticket sales, merch sales, hotel occupancy and more through the roof. The rest is little more than adhering to various building and safety codes, demands of scary lawyers, and the terms of very expensive insurance policies.

Yeah I understand how a public company operates, thanks. My point isn't that I want to be able to have Star Wars Land to myself. I just think that for the long term benefit of the resort I think it would've been better to take their time with building the land in California. I don't know why they decided to get it done at Disneyland Park first, or even at Disneyland Park at all. I think they are making a log jam of a park into an even bigger log jam, and that has the potential of really hurting the public's perception of the park in the long run. They already hit capacity pretty regularly despite huge blackout periods for season ticket holders, while the park across the plaza is struggling after a billion dollar renovation.

Yeah I understand how a public company operates, thanks. My point isn't that I want to be able to have Star Wars Land to myself. I just think that for the long term benefit of the resort I think it would've been better to take their time with building the land in California. I don't know why they decided to get it done at Disneyland Park first, or even at Disneyland Park at all. I think they are making a log jam of a park into an even bigger log jam, and that has the potential of really hurting the public's perception of the park in the long run. They already hit capacity pretty regularly despite huge blackout periods for season ticket holders, while the park across the plaza is struggling after a billion dollar renovation.

The crowds and opening only one ride (smart IMO, wait until the other one is ready) will have zero impact on the brand. They’d gain absolutely nothing having a fully functioning land minus one ride doing nothing.

I’d also say that the 13th busiest park in the world is hardly struggling.

The crowds and opening only one ride (smart IMO, wait until the other one is ready) will have zero impact on the brand. They’d gain absolutely nothing having a fully functioning land minus one ride doing nothing.

To second what Jew said, I go to DL resort frequently and Cali Adventure is PACKED every time I go. At times it seems as if it’s busier than Disneyland across the way. In other words not struggling at all. Oh and I can’t wait to see the place when Avengers land opens next year!

I didn't make any reference to opening only one ride. Of course they shouldn't have the entire land sitting vacant.

The fact that DCA is the 13th busiest park doesn't prove its success. Obviously different parks have different expectations. Every other US Disney park is in the top 10. Disneyland has twice the annual attendance as DCA.

^Good point about the Marvel expansion tho, that should hopefully help.

Disneyland has twice the annual attendance as DCA.

DCA isn't competing against Disneyland, though. If that 2:1 figure is because everyone who was going to get a 2-day ticket to Disneyland is now getting a 3-day ticket and spending the additional day at DCA, I'd think they would be pretty happy about that.

Obviously I don't have granular data like that, but I think it's safe to say that no one is going to DCA and not to Disneyland. So the expectation should be that DCA will have a fraction of the attendance Disneyland does. The way to get that closer to parity is by pushing Park Hopper and Maxpass and thereby encouraging people to treat the two parks more like a single park.

I didn't make any reference to opening only one ride. Of course they shouldn't have the entire land sitting vacant.

The fact that DCA is the 13th busiest park doesn't prove its success. Obviously different parks have different expectations. Every other US Disney park is in the top 10. Disneyland has twice the annual attendance as DCA.

^Good point about the Marvel expansion tho, that should hopefully help.

From what I have been told (don't know if it is true), Disney only counts the first click of the day for accounting/reporting purposes. So anyone with a park hopper ticket/AP who enters Disneyland first, but still goes to DCA, will only get counted for Disneyland. I would guess that the majority of tickets are park hoppers or multi-day tickets (1 park/day) so the majority of their guests visit both parks.

DCA is definitely not struggling anymore.

Edited by Jew