TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Disneyland Resort (DL, DLR, DCA) Discussion Thread

p. 393 - Pixar Place Hotel transformation will be completed on January 30th, 2024!

https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2016/08/main-street-electrical-parade-coming-to-disneyland-park-for-a-limited-time-last-chance-to-paint-the-night/

As we just announced, night time at Disneyland park will get even brighter with the return of Main Street Electrical Parade early next year! Twenty years since it last glowed down Main Street, U.S.A., at Disneyland park, this “spectacular festival pageant of nighttime magic and imagination” will return for a limited-time encore engagement.

The quintessential Disney Parks nighttime parade, the Main Street Electrical Parade began at Disneyland park in 1972, shining brightly in the memories of thousands of Disneyland park guests until the end of its initial run in 1996. It returned to the Disneyland Resort as Disney’s Electrical Parade, bringing magical Disney stories to Disney California Adventure park from 2001 until 2010, when it crossed the country to begin its most recent run at Walt Disney World Resort.

Before its half-million tiny lights return to illuminate the imaginations of a whole new generation of Disneyland park guests, there is still time enjoy the experience this beloved favorite inspired – “Paint the Night” parade.

“Paint the Night” parade will continue nightly performances, just before “Disneyland Forever” fireworks, through September 5 as part of the Disneyland Resort Diamond Celebration. And I’m excited to share today that this popular parade will return on select nights during the holiday season later this year. Be sure to keep an eye on the entertainment calendar at Disneyland.com for performance dates and times.

Stay tuned to the Disney Parks Blog for more details — including dates — for this special engagement of Main Street Electrical Parade at Disneyland park next year!

693-DLC-37.thumb.jpg.63fa90156fda726fcec5ac0cd1606962.jpg

MSEP1280.thumb.jpg.08740a76befae0190e07e86dfb914d46.jpg

NEO740575LARGE.thumb.jpg.b26696c31a4df49df8cb52786e15e8e5.jpg

https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2016/08/new-disneyland-resort-eastern-gateway-coming-in-2018/

Disneyland Resort is planning to break ground on our Eastern Gateway, a new arrival point that will provide guests even more choices for access and parking when it opens in late 2018. This project on the east side of the Disneyland Resort will include a new parking structure with 6,800 spaces, a new transportation facility and an elevated pedestrian bridge.

The largest infrastructure project in the Anaheim Resort Area in the last 20 years, the Eastern Gateway will make it even easier to get to the Happiest Place on Earth by providing an east-side entry point to the Anaheim Resort Area. The new transportation facility will be the arrival point for buses, taxis, bicycles and various shuttles that currently use the existing transportation facility located on the west side of Harbor Boulevard. The new pedestrian pathway and elevated bridge over Harbor Blvd. will directly link guests arriving at the parking structure and eastern transportation facility with the main entrance plaza.

We’ll bring you updates here on the Disney Parks Blog as this exciting project continues to take shape.

obq26n-b88771744z.120160810184233000g45i60r5_10.thumb.jpg.244b55c5bd4b0eada3f07fe7aeb65239.jpg

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/disney-725346-parking-disneyland.html

Disney intends to construct a transportation hub, a massive parking structure and a pedestrian bridge over Harbor Boulevard connecting them with Disneyland and Disney California Adventure ahead of the opening of “Star Wars” land in its signature theme park.

According to documents filed Wednesday in City Hall, the company proposes to start building a seven-story, 6,800-space parking structure next year along Disney Way.

The park also plans to shutter its current transportation hub, where buses from some Disney parking lots and hotel shuttles drop off visitors near the theme parks’ main gates to build the new one on a Disney-owned site about a half-mile away on Manchester Avenue.

The Carousel Inn and Suites, which Disney purchased last year for $32 million, would close in October and eventually get razed to make way for a pedestrian walkway leading from the new transit hub to the bridge 20 feet above Harbor.

Parkgoers would go through security and then take the bridge toward the entrances of Disneyland and Disney California Adventure. There are no plans for a moving walkway.

"This will help bring more people to the parks to check out the ‘Star Wars’ land and Marvel attractions they are planning in the future,” said Robert Niles, editor at ThemeParkInsider.com. “Clearly, Disney needs more parking to accommodate the new and returning visitors. ... Fans will welcome this."

This massive upgrade of its Anaheim property aims to boost parking capacity and help calm traffic on three oft-packed perimeter streets: Harbor, Ball Road and Katella Avenue. The new layout would encourage northbound I-5 drivers to slide into the new parking structure without going onto those three streets.

Dubbed the Eastern Gateway Project, the development is part of a $1 billion investment pledge Disney made with the city last year in exchange for Anaheim not levying an entertainment gate tax on park visitors.

“The Eastern Gateway is part of our substantial investment in Anaheim, which will provide additional guest parking and help to alleviate congestion in the Resort District as we continue to expand the Disneyland Resort,” Disney spokeswoman Suzi Brown said.

The entire project is scheduled for completion in late 2018.

Construction for Disneyland’s “Star Wars” land began earlier this year. No opening date has been set. Disney recently won approval to build a four-diamond luxury hotel in the northern part of Downtown Disney, with construction slated for 2018 and completion in 2021.

There are no plans to expand either park onto where the current transportation hub sits between Disneyland and California Adventure.

In recent years, Disney had assembled property required for this latest project. Prior to purchasing the Carousel, the company spent $48 million on a 13-acre site on Manchester.

Sometimes parking is so strained at the Disneyland Resort in Anaheim that guests are directed to park at the nearby Convention Center or at the GardenWalk retail center. Employees, on the busiest days, park at Angel Stadium and get shuttled the two miles.

Disney’s latest development is expected to undergo a 30-day review by city officials. Then, the project will go to the Planning Commission when Disney seeks a conditional-use permit for the pedestrian bridge and the transit hub. The parking lot, previously announced, is already approved.

City officials said they would help Disney control traffic during construction.

obq3sz-disneyparkinglot2.jpg.4c1b7b25538d908fa216faaa719a034a.jpg

Edited by jedimaster1227

Another bizarre move for the resort. After they announced the ending of the fireworks and PTN on Sept 5th, I am sure they got many, many complaints from the guests. I suppose the electrical parade is an attempt, at the expense of WDW, to correct that error. Cancelling PTN during the holiday season altogether was yet another bad decision. Good that it is going to make an appearance on select nights. I imagine it would be frustrating for guests booking those expensive hotel rooms for their vacation plans.

There was a much better image released last night of the structure area, I don't know why the paper felt they needed to draw their own. Anyway, here is the better and larger image:

Drawing.thumb.jpg.b4c31f3ad4d5f5a8a93c8124eca61938.jpg

Extra Large Image

There is a lot of interesting things in this if you look closely.

But I think something that's really interesting is the new possible monorail alignment. Some people online have been saying that the bridge was going to go over the monorail, making the bridge massively high. But according to this image, they may simply just move it!

Look at the top of the drawing, where the bridge ends. You'll notice a dotted line swooping by the area. I think this is the new monorail right of way. It also has lighter lines on each side showing the total width required for the monorail to pass by.

So, the monorail moves, and then makes some tight turns to re-align to the Buena Vista St Bridge. I have drawn a rough idea of what this MAY look like below, and is based on the drawing. Toward the end of the dotted line, you can see it starts to turn toward DCA.

Map.thumb.jpg.2723751d60f1418bbc45a684b40cf99f.jpg

Moving the monorail also allows a lot of free space for the Hollywood Section of DCA, more then doubling the available land for the Back-lot area and now without a monorail beam in the way! Using google area calculator, the new land is estimated to be about 4.5 acres! Compared to the reasonable clear land behind tower at also 4.5 acres.

Something else that I find rather funny and is a GIANT F**k you to all the Harbor Hotels:

Not a single hotel on Harbor will have any access to this bridge! Looking at the drawing again, you can see what looks to be a very large Security Check Point in the plaza before the bridge starts. This means the bridge is a secure area...essentially extending the esplanade across Harbor to the new Structure. The current Security area on the east side would be removed I would assume. So, that means there is no stairway access from the sidewalk below for the hotel guests to use. And the current entrance portal will likely be removed if DCA does expand into that area. All guests will have to either walk, all the way around the hotel block, up Disney Way, and down a small walkway next to the structure to get to the bridge. Or, take a hotel shuttle (which most wont have because the Resort entrance used to be right across the street) to the new shuttle stops.

I do not think this will really impact the hotels much, but we'll have to wait and see.

Finally, pure speculation:

In the bottom right corner of the parking structure...there is a very odd looking 'thing'. I am going to guess this is the right of way for the street car that Anaheim proposed. However, there is nothing showing on the bottom floor of the structure indicating a stop for such a thing or even room to add one in the future. Add in, trying to get pedestrians through all the entering and exiting cars from the structures bottom floor doesn't seem easy or logical (cars all exit on the opposite side down that road). But never the less, the right of way is in the drawing. I have been against the street car form the beginning, so I hope this isn't what it is. And the fact there appears to be no ground floor station would support that (again, I am totally guessing and dreaming here). So, if there's no station on the ground....that means its elevated!

An elevated train (or monorail) system I personally think is what is best for the resort. Putting an elevated station on the upper floors of the structure allow easy access to the security area as well. Basically imagine Mickey and Friends having an elevated train stop on the second floor where all the colored tiles are, and how easy it would be to get t0 the trams. So, hopefully Anaheim kills the street car and moves ahead with an elevated system.

That is a great observation! Very, very interesting to see what happens during the development of this area. Thanks for the new image, makes it easier to see the details.

Disney bought the building in between too, right?

Yes. They own the land. However, the people leasing the building do not want to move. So, they are just building around the building for the time being. And, when the time comes, they can expand the parking structure to include that area. Just like how the Mickey and Friends structure is cut in half with the exit ramps, this will be too...eventually.

The Howard Johnson Hotel had some information in the comments section on their Facebook:

Disney met with us and said that the Harbor foot traffic would not be affected at all. There will be a second security area on Harbor (street-level) which will feed into the already-security-checked bridge pedestrians into the main entrance plaza. Same crosswalk across Harbor and everything. Win win!

There will be a second security area for the Harbor pedestrians. The other security area is before the bridge back toward Manchester. The two secure zones will feed into one main entry path into the parks entry plaza.

So, according to them, Disney is not totally screwing the Hotels on Harbor. Somewhere, they will squeeze in a street level, Harbor Entrance with bag check. They are making it seem like the current cross walk will remain, which is unfortunate. It always causes lots of traffic issues in the area. But, maybe with less people driving down Harbor, and parking in the structure, it won't be a problem anymore.

Wow. Glad to see the resort is going to be undergoing some major transportation changes to deal with crowds. I was super impressed with the changes they made on the 5 freeway regarding on and off ramps to the park when they put California Adventure and Downtown Disney together. They really revamped the surrounding area and did what they could to make the traffic flow easier with what they had to work with, and what they speculated the capacity would be.

I'm hoping this addition will be of similar style and forethought.

However I just can't get past my last few visits to the park the past couple years where it was so busy I found myself almost annoyed that me and my crew had a hard time enjoying ourselves. I know this new parking structure is going to deal with the traffic outside the park, but it's pretty obvious the Disneyland park was not designed for the amount of people it packs in these days, especially with the size increase of folks in 2016. California Adventure did a lot better with this, but still. There are just so many people, and so many lines for everything. It's great to have the park practically 10 minutes away, but with it's popularity come dire consequences.

I'm sure there will be days here and there where it's not packed, but the days it is, I'd rather just not be there.

^Star Wars will be the first expansion since Toon Town, which should help spread crowds around more if it is anything like how Universal was with Potter. The challenge will still be the narrow pathways (here's to hoping they finally remove the damn peoplemover track...) and limited queue space of older rides.

^Star Wars will be the first expansion since Toon Town, which should help spread crowds around more if it is anything like how Universal was with Potter. The challenge will still be the narrow pathways (here's to hoping they finally remove the damn peoplemover track...) and limited queue space of older rides.

I agree the Peoplemover track needs to be removed for logistical reasons, but some part of me still hopes they revive the classic. As far as older rides and their limited queue space, I feel the biggest offenders are Peter Pan's Flight, which always has an hour and a half line, and Pirates of the Caribbean which cannot hold the sheer amounts of riders in the courtyard queue.

Disneyland has had a crowd issue since the 50th anniversary, too many people decided Disneyland was a better trip decision than Disney World. Star Wars Land should help to alleviate some crowds, but to achieve the feeling the Imagineers want, they'll probably sacrifice logistics for creativity. An outpost planet would seem to have less people than the expansion would need to hold.

Still too many annual pass holders is the problem....has nothing to do with people choosing Disneyland over Disney World (WDW can actually handle crowds since it basically is its own city---4 parks, 2 water parks, all the hotels, Disney Springs, golf....)

Still too many annual pass holders is the problem....has nothing to do with people choosing Disneyland over Disney World (WDW can actually handle crowds since it basically is its own city---4 parks, 2 water parks, all the hotels, Disney Springs, golf....)

I realize that WDW can handle more crowds than it has to. My point was that after the big deal Disney made of the 50th anniversary, people started to realize the history of Disneyland vs Disney World. Yes, the number of annual pass holders is an issue. My family had passes in the early '00s, when an annual pass cost $99. Since then, the price has over tripled, showing Disney is getting tired of annual pass holders coming. Also, the amount of black-out dates on the lower tier passes shows they don't want pass holders there that often.

I realize that WDW can handle more crowds than it has to. My point was that after the big deal Disney made of the 50th anniversary, people started to realize the history of Disneyland vs Disney World. Yes, the number of annual pass holders is an issue. My family had passes in the early '00s, when an annual pass cost $99. Since then, the price has over tripled, showing Disney is getting tired of annual pass holders coming. Also, the amount of black-out dates on the lower tier passes shows they don't want pass holders there that often.

To me that says Disney is good at business, not that they're tired of annual pass holders coming. They've shown that as long as people keep buying passes, they'll keep raising prices to maximize profits.

Disneyland just happened to have its 50th anniversary during a time the economy began to recover. The real change was that Theme Parks went from being the expense people cut when the economy is down to an expense people splurged on again. Attendance is up everywhere in the industry over the last 10 years. The Disney Resort just happens to be the branch of the most famous theme park brand in the world in one of the most populous regions in the world.

My personal opinion is that Disney still hasn't found an annual pass strategy that works for them...they upped prices and tweaked blackout dates and are still seeing record crowds. Seeing how many of my friends still have their annual passes and post about Disney, I am going to guess that their mix of attendance between regular park ticketed guests and AP's still isn't where they want it.

The OC Register has a Q&A Posted and a new piece of art.

OCRegister.com

Structure.thumb.jpg.14b01dc0efa2fef9052125821c1c2b50.jpg

This rendering shows a view coming down the escalators from the 6,800 spot parking structure, into the blue covered security gateway area. Visitors will then enter the pedestrian walkway under an arch marked Disneyland and proceed to a bridge over Harbor Boulevard. The buildings on the left are existing non-Disney hotels and motels.

COURTESY: DISNEYLAND RESORT

Disneyland Resort is planning a massive expansion project that would include creating a seven-story, 6,800-space parking structure, a new transportation hub, and a pedestrian bridge over Harbor Boulevard.

They are slated to be completed by the end of 2018.

After the Register wrote the story of Disney’s plans last week, questions were asked, via Twitter and e-mail, about the development.

The Register went back to Disney and the planning documents for more information. The answers:

Q. What’s going to happen to the Carousel Inn?

A. It will close sometime in October and eventually be razed. A spokesman for Wincome Group, which manages the property for Disney, said the hotel is relocating the 55 employees or helping them find a new job at a nearby hotel.

Q. How about the Pizza Press, which was also on the Carousel Inn property?

A. Disney’s lease with Pizza Press ends in April.

Q. Will visitors staying at nearby non-Disney hotels be forced to walk around to the Eastern Gateway transit facility on Manchester Avenue to get to the Disneyland Resort?

A. Guests staying in the hotels or motels on Harbor will be able to access the resort without going through the Eastern Gateway. The plans are still being developed but there will be another entrance with a security point for those entering on Harbor.

Q. Will nearby hotels or motels have backside access to the Eastern Gateway?

A. Disney has no plans to create an access point behind the hotels and motels on Harbor.

Q. Will people walking on Harbor have access to the pedestrian bridge linking the new transportation hub with the theme parks, similar to the bridges that connect some hotels in Las Vegas?

A. There will not be a direct access to the pedestrian connector or bridge from Harbor. However, visitors can use a pedestrian pathway at Harbor and Disney Way directly to the Eastern Gateway.

Q. What will the pedestrian walkway and bridge over Harbor look like?

A. The bridge may be similar to the one visitors cross in Downtown Disney over Disneyland Drive. Visitors may not have noticed that they are using the well-disguised bridge, because planters and tall hedges hide the view of the street. There will be a limited amount of retail and food vendors along the pedestrian walkway.

Q. How far is the walk from the Eastern Gateway security checkpoint, on the east side of Harbor, where the theme parks’ new transportation hub will be, to the esplanade that leads to the theme parks’ main gates?

A. The walk is about a half-mile, or 10 minutes. There will be shuttles to take handicap visitors to a drop-off area near the esplanade.

Q. Will there be a new route for the Monorail? Is there a chance Disney California Adventure will expand into the area that now holds the transit hub?

A. It’s unclear if the route will change. And Disney says that the design for the main entryway, where the current transportation hub sits, is in progress.

Contact the writer: 714-796-2443 or jpimentel@ocregister.com or follow on Twitter @OCDisney

This has answered some questions people have had. And I am surprised (kinda) about some of this stuff.

Like not allowing the Harbor Hotels to access to the walkway leading to the Eastern Gateway. You'd thing Disney would rather people use the new, expansive Security area instead of a smaller entrance off Harbor Blvd.

But there is a bus drop off in the area where this Harbor entrance is expected to go (Guessing this area is for the Toy Story Shuttle Bus).

I cant wait to see more about all this new stuff! And hopefully a new expansion area for DCA.

Disneyland just happened to have its 50th anniversary during a time the economy began to recover. The real change was that Theme Parks went from being the expense people cut when the economy is down to an expense people splurged on again. Attendance is up everywhere in the industry over the last 10 years. The Disney Resort just happens to be the branch of the most famous theme park brand in the world in one of the most populous regions in the world.

My personal opinion is that Disney still hasn't found an annual pass strategy that works for them...they upped prices and tweaked blackout dates and are still seeing record crowds. Seeing how many of my friends still have their annual passes and post about Disney, I am going to guess that their mix of attendance between regular park ticketed guests and AP's still isn't where they want it.

I imagine that if they ended the Monthly plan on passes, That would probably cut AP's by alot.

Well Disney tolerates the various hotels on Harbor, because they have to. Those hotels provide zero revenue to Disney, yet they thrive because of Disney. But Disney can't go complete commando on the Harbor hotels, so they'll offer some type of side entry which will likely involve a long line/wait. Thus encouraging those guests to perhaps stay at a Disney hotel on their future visits.

Edited by BelizeIt

Well I would assume that Disney tolerates the various hotels on Harbor, because they have to. Those hotels provide zero revenue to Disney, yet they thrive because of Disney. (Normally you would expect to pay a royalty fee etc...) But Disney can't go complete commando on the Harbor hotels, so they'll offer some type of (bastard) side entry, which will likely involve a long line/wait??? Thus encouraging those guests to perhaps stay at a Disney hotel on their future visits.

The argument that Disney would be wise to inconvenience those people for the sake of getting them to book official hotels is stupid. And it comes down to one thing: Capacity. Disney does not with their three hotels have anywhere near enough capacity to be able to accept all the people staying in those hotels plus their current numbers of guests. Also, they don't have a hotel with a competitive price point to lure them away. Shutting them out completely would have been spiteful and done nothing for Disney's own bottom line, since they need the hotels across the street to increase multi-day, out of town stays that spend money in the parks.