TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Disneyland Resort (DL, DLR, DCA) Discussion Thread

p. 393 - Pixar Place Hotel transformation will be completed on January 30th, 2024!

So, Disneyland need to improve the security system.

LOL yeah, because, *surprise surprise* you obviously know more about running security at a theme park than Disney.

This is all old news, move on!

So according to Miceage rumours (micechat.com/44830-disneyland-das/), Astro Orbiter will go away, the Rocket Jets spinner is to be plopped on the Space Mountain queue deck and Autopia will be removed for an Endor-themed speeder bike ride, with pre-show and queuing in the Innoventions building. Also a Millennium Falcon walkthrough and Chewbacca meet & greet to be built on the PeopleMover station. Is it just me, or does this all seem implausible?

Edited by azza29

I question the logistics involved there too. Sounds ambitious, and if they can pull it off (it IS Disney after all), this should be an amazing addition to the park. I'm curious to see what they do with BLAB, a re-theme seems simple enough. I personally love that ride, and would hate to see it disappear completely.

I also don't see exactly how the rocket ships are going to go on the Space Mountain area without blocking the view of the actual "mountain." Definitely curious to see where this goes.

These renovations unnerve me.

I think Autopia should be retained, as it's still quite popular and a classic. I don't particularly care about Innoventions, but some may be nostalgic about the Carousel Theater. As for the Rocket Jets thing, how would that work? Would they be blocking the view of Space Mountain? In that case, I might object. The Cantina? Yes, but my brother and legions of others will be mad if it's not accurate in terms of design and menu. Millennium Falcon? Call me skeptical.

I'm aware that I sound like an overzealous fanboy, and that's because I am one (unfortunately). Then again, it's not official, so I'll have to wait and see.

All of Fantasyland was basically a "re-do" back in 1983.

And it all turned out okay.

So - maybe the time has come for a really radical makeover

for Tomorrowland. It was done in 1967. So...?

I do think that Tomorrowland is due for a large renovation, but I don't like the idea of Star Wars receiving so much of a prominence in Tomorrowland.

EDIT: From what I've seen on the article, here's a Tomorrowland map with red showing the Star Wars-themed areas and blue showing non-Star Wars-themed areas:

1629863977_starwarstomorrowland.PNG.5ef89b3e35cc6da0fc09e13744aa1df9.PNG

(Map from Disneyland.com)

Edited by XYZ

In the original opening of the 1950's, Tomorrowland was 'innocent',

and corporation-sponsored, just as it's been through the decades.

1964-65 Worlds Fair in New York changed all that, and speeded up

a re-do of TL Walt felt was necessary to keep up with current

theme park trends, Disney's being ahead of course, at the time.

So 1967 became the "what if" year for Tomorrowland, with "Carousel of

Progress,'" "Journey-Inner Space" and PeopleMovers being the main draw.

The current time period seems to be the "what now" section of the timeline.

So.... its a possible huge makeover, that a lot of purists are NOT going to like.

But then, did anybody protest during the 1959 era of Matterhorn and

Submarine, and Monorail?

^ Yeah, now that you mention it, everything new in the

future (beyond 2014), seems to be popping up all over

the Asian Disney Parks! Including Shanghai Disney's Opening!

Hmmm.

I think those additions would be great, but it does seem over the top. Autopia is still pretty popular, but if they decide to take it out for something amazing, I'm all for it. As for the Cantina, I think it would be great!

So according to Miceage rumours (micechat.com/44830-disneyland-das/), Astro Orbiter will go away, the Rocket Jets spinner is to be plopped on the Space Mountain queue deck and Autopia will be removed for an Endor-themed speeder bike ride, with pre-show and queuing in the Innoventions building. Also a Millennium Falcon walkthrough and Chewbacca meet & greet to be built on the PeopleMover station. Is it just me, or does this all seem implausible?

I put ZERO faith in anything MiceAge/MiceChat/Whatever would have to say.

So I looked in the article that they posted but I couldn't find anything on it. If this really does happen wouldn't it mean the subs are gone too? I mean in order to get the benefits of removing Autopia, wouldn't you have to also remove the show building that it is built on top of? Some of this sounds plausible, other parts of this rumor just leave more questions.

I'm skeptical.....

AS Robb pointed out, I would not trust much on those sites. I have seen some pretty wild rumors on some of them the few times I visited. Especially around the third gate rumors for California. It seems like people create rumors over there from personal wish lists. That is just my half a$$ opinion though since I am not over there on a regular basis.

I for one hope that they do not remove the subs. I was really disappointed when they did that at the Magic Kingdom in WDW. I think that the subs ride area is one of the most attractive areas of the park with it and the Matterhorn. Although, it seems that they are low in capacity per hour and could go for that reason alone. I also heard they are high maintenance, but not sure about that since I do not work for the park.

I am at the park this week until Thursday. I will keep an eye out for any small flags, small signs, etc... while here.

This rumor probably is wishful thinking on someone's part. I know the Astro Orbiter has been a problem in its current location kind of blocking/clogging the entrance to Tomorrowland. Moving that would not be out of the question.

I can't see them removing Autopia for a Land Speeder ride unless they just re-skin the cars and add some theming. They should just use the old People mover Track for the ride.

I can't see them removing Autopia for a Land Speeder ride unless they just re-skin the cars and add some theming. They should just use the old People mover Track for the ride.

Like they did for Rocket Rods?

I put ZERO faith in anything MiceAge/MiceChat/Whatever would have to say.

I wouldn't say zero. Take everything he says with a grain of salt. Often times it seems as if he's just commenting on the current blue-sky conversations running around the WDI department. The key to reading his articles is "reading between the lines." You can get an idea of what the park is trying to do, which more often then not, is the case. Until specific announcements are released, nothing is guaranteed and everything changes. With that said, he has been on point for a fair amount of developments prior to becoming official word. Canceling cast member christmas parties and turning Carthay Circle into a restaurant come to mind. If you read regularly enough, you would know that.

I think what we do know, though, is people are buying up merchandise left and right at places like the Wizarding World of Harry Potter and Carsland. Dedicating whole lands to franchise property, especially one as large as Star Wars, is a no brainer. ANYTHING could be on the table. Why? Because the ends will more then justify the means. Money talks.

The comments on that article make for interesting (and amusing) reading. Seems like the same crowd who were lamenting Tomorrowland being neglected and dated are the first to complain about the rumoured changes "ruining Walt's park".

I thought Disneyland was a theme park, not a museum!

I'm happy to have any of the properties that have been rumored (Marvel, Star Wars, Tron) As long as what ever they do doesn't take over the whole land. And I say that because, all those themes could fit within "Tomorrowland" along with other stuff as well, so I'd rather not have the land limited to one property.

My takeaway from the miceage article is at least Disney is thinking about putting in another large scale thrill ride for the land, which is always a good thing. I am not sure about Star Wars being the dominate theme for Disneyland's Tomorrowland, I think this Carsland-esque (1 land, 1 theme) concept would work better in Florida. Personally, would like to see an additional flat ride, something a bit more exciting than a simplistic spinner, using the Starcade/upper deck of Space Mountain line, or on top of the old Rocket Rods platform rather than moving Astro Orbiter. The placement of Astro Orbiter doesn't really bother me. A giant Millenium Falcon would just look crazy, and all for a Wookie photo op? The Star Wars Cantina idea sounds interesting, and I could see that maybe working as a replacement for Pizza Port.

I just got back this weekend from my yearly trip with my daughter to Disneyland. This was the first my first trip visit during the Halloween event. Here are some of the highlights..

- It was a good road test for my brand new orange Camaro from East Valley Phoenix. It usually took my now ex wife around 6.5 hours to drive this in her SUV on previous trips with a few rest stops and a stop for lunch. I made would have made it in 4.5 hours with a lunch stop and few rest stops. However, I left my iPhone on the top of my car at a stop like a dumb a$$ and needed to double back a half hour to find the damn thing cracked all over the road when I realized it was missing. This cost me a little over an hour and about $80 for a new screen…

- I was surprised to find the lines the longest on any trip that I have made. Especially since I was there during the July 4th holiday last year. I always wanted to utilize Fast Pass on my previous visits and never did. It just seemed like a hassle to keep track of time and such. Given the long lines this trip I decided to try it. I loved it and will be doing this again on my next trip. It was great getting this and going to another near by attraction or two and then getting back front line to an e-ticket… Fast pass used on: Indy, Autopia, Star Tours (x2), Tower of Terror, California Screaming, Splash Mountain and Soarin. I was surprised to see that Matterhorn did not have this option though. Also, Space Mountain was a walk on since I hit that first thing one of the mornings. Radiator Springs Racer was not available by the time I got to it each day and just waited it out.

- Halloween Layovers:

Space Mountain: This was sort of neat, but I prefer the original a little more. Just seemed like a random zombie looking image.

Haunted Mansion: This was the first time I only went on the ride once on any of my trips to both US parks. I usually ride the ride around 3 – 4 times. The main reason for this was the length of the line was ridiculous and did it as a walk on the first morning at the park. The other reason I did not go back was that I really like the original much better. I am not a big fan of “A Nightmare before Christmas” and have yet made it through the movie. I can however respect the popularity given the detail put into it. Call me a Disney purist or whatever; I just prefer the regular ride much more since this is my second favorite attraction after PoTC.

- Food quality/choices for the price just seems so much out of place compared to Florida (especially Epcot, even though that is a totally different concept them what with have in Cali). I just remember Florida being a better selection, quality and price from years back when I was there. I just keep thinking that I had better quality at Waldameer this past summer for half the price. I am usuing that as an example since mot folk bitch about Waldameers food options.

- Another great stay off property at the Anaheim Plaza Hotel with a balcony. This is not a very fancy hotel and in walking distance of the main gates. For the price, I would really recommend it for anyone staying off property.