TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Disneyland Resort (DL, DLR, DCA) Discussion Thread

p. 393 - Pixar Place Hotel transformation will be completed on January 30th, 2024!

I really can't wait to see this come to Florida! (Little Mermaid)

I hope they do re-design the ride layout. (A really abrupt ending) However I think the most spectacular scene has to be Ursula! Just wow! So fluid and lifelike, If you ever get an stopped on that ride, that would be the place to be stopped.

The ride doesn't really seem to tell a story, it seems like more of a Musical "Best Hits" Version.

In fact Disney actually acknowledged this on the ride wait time sign, so kudos to them! A great looking! Great job to WDI!

Wait time sign

Oh and the Chocolate sounds sweet too, the Ghirardeli building is really picturesque, can't wait to see a re-creation of that!

^ When I say I wish the bread was going, I mean the tour only ... not the awesome bread of course.

Really, getting rid of the bread tour would just be closing the door to the public, I mean they actually make bread and stuff to sell there, it's a functional tour. I would guess that they make a good chunk of change selling those Mickey shaped loafs after people pass through there. I will miss the tortillas, but where I live there's fresh tortilla's being made right at the corner market. Still, I woulda took torts over chocolate, there enough sweets at Disney already.

Edited by fatdaddy

I really can't wait to see this come to Florida! (Little Mermaid)

I hope they do re-design the ride layout. (A really abrupt ending) However I think the most spectacular scene has to be Ursula! Just wow! So fluid and lifelike, If you ever get an stopped on that ride, that would be the place to be stopped.

The ride doesn't really seem to tell a story, it seems like more of a Musical "Best Hits" Version.

In fact Disney actually acknowledged this on the ride wait time sign, so kudos to them! A great looking! Great job to WDI!

Wait time sign

Oh and the Chocolate sounds sweet too, the Ghirardeli building is really picturesque, can't wait to see a re-creation of that!

The ride layout will be the exact same. However, they could very well rework those scenes, though I doubt it. Florida will have the benefit of a much nicer queue and that my offer some better explanation of what will happen in the ride.

Went to the park today to catch the AP preview of Little Mermaid (and hopefully some last-day tortillas).

Mermaid: Got to the park shortly after 10:00am, ride had a posted time of 45 minutes, turned out to only be about 30.

The Ride ... I really enjoyed it. It's a ride that DCA has needed for the past 10 years. It's a ride the entire family can enjoy, it looks good, sounds good, and is an absolute people-eater. It does a VERY good job of blending AA's with animation and the "going underwater" effect is done quite well.

My personal favorite scenes were "Under The Sea", Ursula's Grotto and "Kiss The Girl".

All that said, I do have to kind of agree with those who have said the ending is a bit abrupt. It doesn't make the ride bad IMO, but if they had included a kick-ass Ursula battle scene this would have moved from a solid D-Ticket to an E-Ticket easily.

The closest ride I can compare this too is the Nemo and Friends ride at EPCOT. I give the edge to Nemo and Friends though, by a lot. Still, it's better than the Nemo Subs and is the highest quality "Fantasyland" style dark ride even though Mr. Toad and Pinnochio are still my favorites.

At the end of the day, it's a great addition to the park and will be a great attraction for years to come at DCA and MK.

One thing that makes NO sense to me is the exit line ... which cuts right through the entrance line (kind of like they did on Matterhorn, but WAY worse). Picture below shows what I mean.

Another semi-rant that has NOTHING to do with the ride. The ride isn't even open yet, today are the AP previews right? So I'm assuming that 90% of the people on the ride today haven't ridden it. Yet people were taking FLASH pictures all through the ride. It's your first ride on a brand new attraction, can't you even enjoy it once without having to look at it through your camera?

Also, I didn't see ANY signs or announcements discouraging flash pictures. I'm assuming they have chosen to just give up this fight? Sad.

After we rode, we wanted to get some tortillas as I thought today was the last day. Turns out it was yesterday. We then just rode ToT (my wifes first ride on it in 3 years due to her back surgeries), Monsters Inc then lunch at Buffalo Wild Wings and then back in time to get the kids at school. It was a very nice "Incognito" day at the park with just me and my lady.

Here are some pics:

1.jpg.a2e7564adacf681456b3a4ffb6e4178a.jpg

My lady is ready to go Under The Sea

2.jpg.a369a7cbde2e1b8e34e0d06980576d9c.jpg

The Line started back here by Trattoria

3.jpg.7d828ac81696aade4a9344a1cbd4f5d0.jpg

Didn't know if you had a pic of the sign for the park index or not

4.jpg.dea474e85a991284b3e8fffa6bccceb5.jpg

Another pic of the sign

5.jpg.caa6f12ab40dfc13e65bc5aa57221cf8.jpg

They did a lot of nice work on the Rotunda

6.jpg.0cb53f7bdb92c1509fd06012d8f8635c.jpg

The inside looks great

7.jpg.e2832651801b814a2e05c6c0fec5fbc9.jpg

This is where the exit line cuts through the entrance line. This makes NO sense as they both get backed up right here. There has to be some other way they can do this.

8.jpg.6462bb7e1924310b43d43b83099da258.jpg

They are getting set up for the Media stuff

9.jpg.ce4f8659c23cf095276cfc2c29dcfbcd.jpg

Seaside Souvenirs is open, didn't get a chance to get any closer shots.

10.jpg.954da781c73081a5a5e747b6a88e4845.jpg

They really did a nice job on the outside queue providing adequate shade, etc.

11.jpg.742005af49968b0383b1034cab031e3e.jpg

The ride entrance area

12.jpg.27da530fa3bb1720435f9d8dd6927c18.jpg

13.jpg.1fcc8e6d9486f3af6ed0c77d412f6e1f.jpg

This is the start of the ride, very well done

14.jpg.e939b2492608c8950a8665887fbe1d04.jpg

No More Tortillas ... MASECA!!!!

OMG Cars looks so sweet... looks like a blast! Any opening time besides 2012? I'm renewing my AP after the summer(just expired but its hot and crowded for now) and I REALLY want to get previews for this thing so if it's opening is later in the year I'd like to prepare and get it later in the year! Overall I am VERY impressed!

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2011/06/what’s-next-at-the-disneyland-resort-and-disney-destinations/

With the openings of The Little Mermaid ~ Ariel’s Undersea Adventure, Star Tours and “Mickey’s Soundsational Parade,” Disney Soundsational Summer is getting underway – and we’re already looking ahead to what’s coming next.

Inspired by the Disney•Pixar blockbuster “Cars,” Cars Land will feature three immersive family attractions showcasing characters and scenes from the movie, including one of the largest and most elaborate attractions ever created for a Disney park: Radiator Springs Racers. Other Cars Land attractions will include Luigi’s Flying Tires (remember the Flying Saucers in Tomorrowland?) and Mater’s Junkyard Jamboree when the new land opens in 2012.

Also coming in 2012, a new entrance will welcome guests in Disney California Adventure park. A new entrance gate will take guests into Buena Vista Street, immersing them in the atmosphere Walt Disney experienced upon first arriving in Los Angeles in the 1920s. Buena Vista Street will feature new Southern California Red Car Trolleys and the Carthay Circle Theatre, modeled after the historic theatre, which was the site of the 1937 world premiere of “Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs.”

Also, just announced today: Carthay Circle Theatre will become home to a new lounge and an elegant restaurant, designed to be the premiere dining location in Disney California Adventure park.

Farther afield, Aulani, a Disney Resort & Spa, Ko Olina, Hawai’i, will open to guests on August 29, 2011. Each day of their stay, Aulani guests will be able to customize their experiences – relaxing on the beach or in the spa, playing in the unique pools and water play areas, dining in the resort’s signature restaurants, discovering the island on specially planned excursions, gathering at the fire pit for storytelling, or spotting the statues of Menehune, the legendary island little people, hidden throughout the resort.

Also coming in 2012, Disney Cruise Line will add new western ports and itineraries, when the Disney Wonder adds Pacific Coast cruises from Los Angeles, calling on San Francisco, San Diego and Ensenada, Mexico. Also new will be a 15-night voyage to Hawaii from Los Angeles, calling on Hilo; Kahului, Maui; Honolulu, Oahu; Nawiliwili, Kauai; and Ensenada, Mexico. And for the first time, Disney Cruise Line Alaska cruises will depart from Seattle in 2012, along with Vancouver.

Beginning in fall of 2012, the Disney Wonder’s sister ship, the Disney Magic, will sail 12 seven-night cruises from the Port of Galveston, Texas, to the Western Caribbean. Ports of Call will include Grand Cayman and Mexico’s Costa Maya and Cozumel. The Disney Magic will also sail out of Port Canaveral, Florida, on Caribbean and Bahamian itineraries and, for the first time, out of New York with cruises to the Bahamas and the along the New England coast.

At Port Canaveral, Florida, the newest ship in the Disney fleet, Disney Fantasy will depart March 31, 2012, on her maiden voyage – a seven-night Caribbean itinerary. The Disney Fantasy will offer many of the innovative features that the Disney Dream brought to the cruise industry in 2011, including AquaDuck, the world’s first shipboard water coaster. In addition, the Disney Fantasy will feature new design elements and guest experiences that will give the ship a unique identity.

There are so many new things to look forward to – which are you most excited about?

sfg354982LARGE.jpg.2c21c83e55b61b47625734f45528efe0.jpg

epp584356LARGE.jpg.79edf17e496d917a814ce2043a46970e.jpg

Pretty much all improvments are coming along great in my eyes, EXCEPT for Goofy's Sky School. I was never a big fan of the original cardboard theming, and I believe the new theming looks equally tacky. Cars Land, on the other hand, looks GREAT! I can see how this will take a while, though.

Our MASSIVE update from the DCA/Disneyland media event has been posted! Check it out here:

http://www.themeparkreview.com/parks/photo.php?pageid=235&linkid=10441

In this update we cover...

- The Little Mermaid opening

- Star Tours 2 opening

- Cars Land & Radiator Springs Racer preview

- Disneyland Hotel after party

- The "Suites" of the Disneyland hotel

- Full POV videos of The Little Mermaid and Star Tours 2

- More photos & videos!

Seriously this update is HUGE! If you are even the slightest Disneyland fan, you'll want to check it out!

Enjoy.

--Robb

Awesome update Robb. Experiencing both of these attractions as part of AP previews I was pretty impressed, and I was very lucky cause my pass expired today so its good my last few rides were on the new attractions. It was awesome to see the stuff that most of us(even aps) didn't get to see like the awesome suites or the exclusive cars land stuff, so thanks for that! Awesome TR! Cant wait for 2012!

Looks like an excellent event. The Disneyland Hotel makeover looks better than I expected it to be, although I agree that the Pirate suite doesn't look quite right.