TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Disneyland Resort (DL, DLR, DCA) Discussion Thread

p. 393 - Pixar Place Hotel transformation will be completed on January 30th, 2024!

...“While they enjoyed the individual experiences, what was missing for them was the deep, emotional connection that they like to have with Disney parks,” said Mary Niven, vice president of Disney California Adventure...

http://www.ocregister.com/news/-287040--.html

That is exactly my problem with DCA. Disneyland is my favorite park, but DCA gets lumped into my list of parks that I have no particularly strong reasons to criticize, but don't particularly love, either. And some of their rides (Tower of Terror, California Screamin') are among my all-time favorites!

I think the difference here is that you probably grew up going to Dinseyland. And started visiting DCA after it was built, when you were older. Do there aren't any childhood memories cause you never went there. Our kids will probably see this differently and they will have the emotional connection because they will grow up with that park like we did with Disneyland.

"I remember my first upside down roller coaster was California Screamin', we had so much fun"

"We loved riding Grizzly River Run cause we got so wet!"

Its the same emotional connection we have with Disneyland.

Well, to me, it was lack of originality when the park opened that left me underwhelmed.

As far as the emotional connections go, Disneyland went with trying to bring both their own versions of fairy tales to life (Snow White, etc.) and universal themes like the old west, pirates, etc. DCA, for whatever reason, went the opposite direction. The idea of story telling through themed ride experiences and attractions got dumped in the trash. And we were left with some fairly generic attractions surrounded by a mall.

That being said, I think they are doing a very good job at correcting all those issues as the park moves forward.

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2011/02/electronica-at-disney-california-adventure-park-extended-through-labor-day/

Guests have had so much fun at ElecTRONica, the grid will be open all summer long at Disney California Adventure park!

ElectTRONica is a nighttime celebration that features music, live performances and interactive experiences, and it has become the place to dance the night away. Inspired by the computer-world environment of “TRON: Legacy,” ElecTRONica comes to life each evening in the Hollywood Pictures Backlot. The Disney film “TRON: Legacy” debuted in theaters in December, 2010.

Special featured acts continue to keep the experience fresh. Here are some current highlights of the party:

• DJs keep the energy going with electronic party music while dancers costumed as “Sirens” and “Programs” from the movie rock out at locations throughout the party.
    Dance Crews, including “We Are Heroes,” the first female dance crew to win MTV’s “America’s Best Dance Crew,” bring their signature moves to the Backlot Stage on selected nights.
  • Also appearing on the Backlot Stage is LASERMAN, demonstrating his unique talents and skill in a stunning performance that combines music, lights, and lasers.
  • An amazing, full-scale model of a Light Cycle from the Disney film “TRON: Legacy.”
  • A re-creation of Flynn’s Video Arcade, which was a key location in the “TRON: Legacy” adventure. Gamers shoot for the highest scores as they enjoy classic 1980s arcade games. For ElecTRONica, you can find Flynn’s at the back of the party, near End of Line club.
  • Fun food items and glowing beverages.

Be a part of the action and enjoy a fun-filled night of games, music and dance as ElecTRONica electrifies the summer at Disney California Adventure park. Keep watching the Disney Parks Blog for updates on new performers.

If you were visiting ElecTRONica tonight, where would you head to first?

While I'm glad elecTRONica is working out (That is an AMAZING sound system for being outdoors) I also really liked the bright and very colorful GLOWfest and thought they could have easily brought that back for another summer. Oh well, it'll still be fun during the summer and extended hours to go get drunk and dance lol.

^ I was hoping to see Glowfest return too, but Electronica isn't bad. My main complaint with Electronica is that it feels like it's squished to the side over by Monster's Inc. I thought Glowfest did a better job of filling the main street of the Hollywood Backlot. I wish they had extended Electronica all the way down the street, and projected onto the mural like they did in Glowfest. I also miss the fun colors of Glowfest, as it felt like more of a party atmosphere.

That said, I love Tron, and Electronica is a really cool way of bringing the movie to life. So I'm happy it's staying around rather than having nothing in the Backlot.

^ I've heard that Aladin rumor too. And certainly hope it's true as seeing WOC on Monday night, I was reminded that it is the one slow and dull part in the show that looses my interest completely. As for the holiday shows, one of the programmers for the show I had the chance to talk to over drinks said that it is in high consideration and was something we should watch for Holidays 2011. My one hope with both these rumors being true, is that they expand and include more of the pier and really utilize all the technology as they did for the Troncore section.

^ I've heard that Aladin rumor too. And certainly hope it's true as seeing WOC on Monday night, I was reminded that it is the one slow and dull part in the show that looses my interest completely. As for the holiday shows, one of the programmers for the show I had the chance to talk to over drinks said that it is in high consideration and was something we should watch for Holidays 2011. My one hope with both these rumors being true, is that they expand and include more of the pier and really utilize all the technology as they did for the Troncore section.

The cool projection effects came from the projectors that were salvaged from the water tower that wasn't used in the final show, so there wasn't time to add them into the final show. I think we'll see a WoC 2.0 in the summer that has some fine-tuning and some changes, then the Holiday shows. The Halloween one makes more sense since they're talking about making DL a pay event and DCA open to normal admission, so they'd need something to draw attention to DCA.

There was only one projector that was moved. It went from the launch hill on Screamin' the the roof top of Midway Mania. Everything else you see on Screamin is done by lasers that they bought. They are doing testing for something at night that is new. We will just have to wait and see what comes out of it. I have a feeling were really going to be surprised

• 2 weeks later...

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2011/02/tangaroa-terrace-trader-sams-to-join-disneyland-hotel-this-spring/

Many of you may remember our announcement last spring about the ongoing Disneyland Hotel renovation. This exciting project gives the hotel a retro theme with a contemporary twist and adds historic and nostalgic elements of Disneyland park, circa the 1950s.

In keeping with that spirit, we are excited to announce that this spring Tangaroa Terrace and Trader Sam’s will open. The tiki-inspired design and storyline for this restaurant and bar were a perfect fit, as they tie in thematically with the mid-century modern architecture of the Disneyland Hotel and the adjacent Dream Tower, soon to be renamed Adventure Tower.

Inspired by Adventurelands from Disney Parks worldwide and the nostalgic Tahitian Terrace restaurant, located in Adventureland from 1962-1993, Tangaroa Terrace will immerse guests in a tropical setting with tiki torches and themed music. The name of the restaurant was borrowed from one of the tiki gods at the Enchanted Tiki Room. The fast-casual dining experience will include island-inspired food and beverages. The new bar, named after Trader Sam, the infamous Jungle Cruise “head” salesman, will open adjacent to Tangaroa Terrace. Trader Sam’s unique lounge experience will include interactive experiences with a bit of Disney magic you won’t want to miss.

These new locations are in addition to the new in-room décor and exterior of the hotel, as well as the new pool, immersive water play area and redesign of the Never Land Pool that will be completed later this year. Check back soon for more details on the Disneyland Hotel renovation project!

tth757827LARGE.jpg.881fb4d8a7c3f8abc59417c638eceff0.jpg

Artist Rendering of the Tangaroa Terrace at the Disneyland Hotel

Can they please just tear down that entire hotel and build a real resort? Seriously. Please stop with all this "retro" garbage. An old looking hotel doesn't look better by making the old look part of the theming.

IMO, the Grand Californian barely counts as a "resort" hotel as it is (if it was in Florida it would be on the low end of the Deluxe resorts) and Anaheim seriously NEEDS a better hotel. Just bite the bullet, implode the damn thing one tower at a time and start over.

You're basically doing it with DCA, why can't you do it with a hotel?

This is the best sentence ever!!!

This exciting project gives the hotel a retro theme with a contemporary twist and adds historic and nostalgic elements of Disneyland park, circa the 1950s.

How many buzzwords can we fit in one sentence?!?!

exciting

retro

contemporary

historic

nostalgic

My understanding is that they are pretty much giving the hotel the DCA treatment: the physical buildings of the towers will be the same, but everything inside will be renovated.

Of course, the real problem with that is they are still stuck with the old infrastructure, which means smaller rooms/elevators/kitchen spaces/etc. that will still keep the place from being anywhere close to a WDW Deluxe resort.

Edited by Jew

^ Exactly. That's the gist of my statement. I don't care how much you polish that turd, the hotel still feels like something out of the 1950s. Tear it down and build something up to date. It's sad when the Hyatt down the street is by far a more updated and better hotel.

I had never given too much attention to this hotel until I read the last few comments, and I'd have to say that the current towers are pretty uninspiring. There really isn't anything to set the hotel apart architecturally from most other "chain" hotels. From what I understand and read regularly, a lot of the regulars are adamant about preserving the history of their resort, but honestly, just because the hotel was there in 1955 doesn't mean that it's a fantastic idea to keep it. I personally feel that the monorail slide and the new bar look nice, but a collection of random pieces of park history isn't really much of a coherent theme. It really should have just been replaced with something new and up-to-date.

New update fron the Disney Parks Blog about The Little Mermaid ride:

King Triton Joins Cast of Characters at The Little Mermaid ~ Ariel’s Undersea Adventure

posted on February 25th, 2011 by Valarie Sukovaty, Disneyland Public Relations

King Triton – who is Ariel’s father – has taken his place on top of the main archway in front of the upcoming attraction, The Little Mermaid ~ Ariel’s Undersea Adventure, in Disney California Adventure park. The statue itself is 76 inches tall. You’ll probably recognize him. He’s the same Triton who once appeared near the Little Mermaid meet-and-greet area in Fantasyland. He was moved when that space became Pixie Hollow. Walt Disney Imagineers knew the Little Mermaid attraction was the perfect new place for him. He even inspired the design of Ariel’s sisters as classic bas-relief figures on the archway’s face. They will complement King Triton on the arch.

Disney Parks Blog Also has a video!

Edited by COASTER FREAK 11

And here is an update from the park, a lot has been happening over the last few weeks!

1197670902_UdJe2-X3.jpg.0db8772f1a454a289494e45cb581bfcf.jpg

We'll start with Mermaid, since there was the park blog update today.

1197652403_ZWQG7-X3.jpg.b8fefc8aef5c58fe10e87176fda3f2a6.jpg

He is actually pretty cool looking.

1197667699_T8TsB-X3.jpg.55bd3072a7ae11d0d07e33e4939696bd.jpg

All spiffy and clean in his new home.

1197674522_UD2Br-X3.jpg.137984dbfc927fccca73a717e3d909b0.jpg

This is part of the queue on the left side of the building. A lot of it will be covered with that shade structure.

1197665291_7XZTE-X3.jpg.0b71d0b6efe9d3cf39ce0225258d7494.jpg

The tarps are down on this corner as well, I like how its turning out with all these smaller details.

1197674668_FeEpo-X3.jpg.d3f22ec5038951a526326777d763464a.jpg

This is one of the towers on either side of the main arch.

1197653676_iNz7Y-X3.jpg.ab2f8ffe84fc109c03f43d73eeac9025.jpg

Boardwalk Pizza and Pasta is chugging right along and is looking fantastic! My own thought on this: They have expanded the indoor eating area by a lot, and are really making this building into something great. However, the old Burger Invasion building id ust getting an awning. Along with Goofy's Sky School next to that, I cant help but wonder what the plans are for that corner of the park. They aren't doing much, like they are planning something bigger for that area in the coming years. Interesting...

1197654521_ZBFkn-X3.jpg.b25a9f096fd96ab84651f9650e27dd3d.jpg

The queue is getting painted finally and almost all remnants of Muhulland Madness are gone.

1197673048_tpPbj-X3.jpg.11e86e406dc920e1b2b85ef1c0e64f93.jpg

They also seem to be adding new billboards to the ride. In the concept art, there will be signs teaching you how to fly your plane.

1197655933_XUshg-X3.jpg.4ae5a09bd49780b61bad3673ce7cd827.jpg

The track and supports are all painted now and scaffolding has gone up inside the ride area. No real change lately to the eating area next to it.

1197656604_Cuxcu-X3.jpg.533684b6ed1b63eb9a14aa6f87c407d1.jpg

Mater's hole...

1197656159_7xUsV-X3.jpg.96de26938a05b90a29682995bbd3d9af.jpg

Cozy Cone.

1197660886_xs3L6-X3.jpg.623ccb5fdc71d9426e8e59bcc42b45bf.jpg

Flo's back side ;) This building is a lot bigger then I thought it was going to be. Maybe there will be some inside sitting area to eat at?

1197660714_AZCzx-X3.jpg.e632337eaa9eb88340d266cda5493c61.jpg

One of three portals into Cars Land. Lots of unfinished work here.

1197662407_phUGb-X3.jpg.3a7e8a290d2dcf93913dd368697c3a37.jpg

More "Chips" are being put into place and the cement and painters are slowly moving around the rock face.

1197679156_LPGWD-X3.jpg.7ba2bcec6e23d58c8516aad63fd649a2.jpg

Close up of the ride. This is actually Radiator Springs Racers station house. Right inside that fender is the station.

1197662692_PizQH-X3.jpg.0c07d074f7725d0aa52ba68448e13055.jpg

Looking down at the rides station and the queue area.

1197666912_BJFTY-X3.jpg.391be0b9f4c257de0204c56fcf1df6f2.jpg

Here is the lush park on the old Maliboomer pad... Though not as nice as some would like, it is a temporary park. I know some "temporary" things disney has done stays for years (Mickey's Toon Town Fair in WDW comes to mind) but this looks really temporary, like it will be gone really quickly.

1197668203_qyHa9-X3.jpg.fb72c213ce9ee052f00b9f1c157bd09b.jpg

Also, a new Meet-N-Greet is being made for Mickey and Duffy. I guess Duffy wasn't getting enough action by himself. But, I like the look of it, trees an never a bad thing.

1197680520_pynmh-X3.jpg.df6a356d61ae5b1a129f028eccb7f863.jpg

And finally, Disney Jr. has moved forward a bit with a new paint job.

All photos are from Mintcrocodile. Check out his blog for more photos of the whole resort and for larger sizes as well. Thanks!

This is the best sentence ever!!!

This exciting project gives the hotel a retro theme with a contemporary twist and adds historic and nostalgic elements of Disneyland park, circa the 1950s.

How many buzzwords can we fit in one sentence?!?!

exciting

retro

contemporary

historic

nostalgic

That is one craptacular sentence! Too bad they couldn't work in "synergy" some how.

I guarantee you this sentence was put together in a meeting full of marketing people and clueless managers, and they all had to get their favorite word into it some how. This is pretty much the method I used to see used to create copy for video game advertisements and box copy. And it works about as well as the fine example here!

dt

Boardwalk Pizza and Pasta is chugging right along and is looking fantastic! My own thought on this: They have expanded the indoor eating area by a lot, and are really making this building into something great. However, the old Burger Invasion building id ust getting an awning. Along with Goofy's Sky School next to that, I cant help but wonder what the plans are for that corner of the park. They aren't doing much, like they are planning something bigger for that area in the coming years. Interesting...

Hopefully they have some later plans for that area. If they used all the areas your mentioned, plus Corn Dog Castle, Seaside Souvenirs and the space behind it - it would be a HUGE attraction pad. The only problem might be blocking the views of the lower level DVC rooms directly behind Souvenirs.