TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Disneyland Resort (DL, DLR, DCA) Discussion Thread

p. 393 - Pixar Place Hotel transformation will be completed on January 30th, 2024!

^I just don't understand how Disney could think it's acceptable to have one of their parks look like this. And if they've determined they really need to do this because the 'entrance' was such a disaster, then how did it get green lit in the first place?! It all just seems really messed up to me.

^ I really dont think they like it either. They started the day after the slow season starts to minimize the amount of guests impacted by it, and seeing it. And its planned to be done by the beginning of the summer season. They are really going to try and do this as fast as they can to minimize the number of people who see it.

As to the green-light... I think it looked much better on paper. Cause it does look cool-ish when it was drawn out. But in person, it didn't work.

Oh, snap! I didn't realize they were ditching the Golden Gate monorail Bridge too.... but I guess it wouldn't have really made any sense in the context of the rethemed entrance area - ha! Can't wait for everything to be done... it's going to be a whole new park!

I don't understand why that picture is going to take a year...and let's not forget all of these other 'refurb/renew' projects that have also taken forever. I seriously think (and I've posted this before) that they would have been better off closing the park down for 6 months and done most of these changes on a faster schedule.

^It certainly would have been faster, haha. But its just the overall project thats taking a year, the front entrance wont take that long. And the stores aren't closing till later in the year, once the entrance is done I think. So its actually only taking a few months to redo it all, but its just not happening all at once, like you suggested. If they closed the front of the park, it would only take something close to 6 months to finish the whole thing based on how long each project is tasking individually.

I really don't get why they are removing the giant letters from the entrance of the park. The letters would fit in with any theme. I really liked the letters. The new entrance leaves much to be desired. It reminds me of the disney studios park in orlando.

We really want to make another visit out to this park, but I don't want to go near it until they are done with all the construction. When we went 2 years ago, they had construction walls up all over the park, and it was a pain in the ass with all the bottlenecks.

I have to admit that the new cars land looks amazing, and we can't wait to check it out once it's finished.

^^ It's not a coaster, and I don't think it'll be anything like Test Track's layout.

No doubt I'm in the minority, but I liked the giant CALIFORNIA letters, and am sorry to see them go. They made for a nice photo spot and I liked how their colors/patterns were changed for the various holidays and special events.

I do agree that it would have been better to completely shut down DCA for at least a few months to speed things along. Better to get stuff done than to have guests walk through a seemingly never ending construction zone.

Eric

Over at Miceage, they have the timetable and what not. I agree, it seems crazy long to re-do an entrance for a year. In many ways, the rebuild does seem rather crazy, and out of order. To have the entrance in shambles the same year that the first big name ride goes opens - the Little Mermaid, seems odd. I imagine they have to have the entrance plaza finished way before Carsland, as the flood of expected visitors will come pouring in. So maybe this is the only time they could do it on this year's budget? One thing that struck me when I saw the original plans was why not extend the park border even farther if they are moving the entrance forward anyway? But, that's not meant to be. However another rumor I read was that the entry plaza between both parks may get spruced up and transformed a bit from the barren plot it is now, to something a bit nicer. That would be a great improvement.

I'm pretty sure they're moving about as fast as they can whether or not guests are in the park. Imagine the amount of unhappy customers and revenue loss if they closed DCA for the majority of construction.

I like the Golden Gate bridge in DCA and wish it would stay, I don't find the new entrance to be much of an improvement. Very average for a Disney park IMO.

Finally saw WoC in person and enjoyed it for the first 10 minutes, but wasn't very impressed. You could never tell what the images on the water screen were, and that was annoying. I don't know what's wrong with this park, and I have a feeling after all of these improvements it will feel pretty average then as well. But we'll see!

Closing DCA for even 6 months would be a horrible choice IMO. The park would get a great deal of unhappy customers and receive complaints. Think about how many people come to the park each day, even with construction, not only could Disney loose lots of money, but also Disneyland could become packed with DCA closed.

I Think the amount of people and and revenue lost in those 6 months if they were closed would be FAR greater then now. Thats like 3 million people not attending the park. Not staying a extra day to eat and shop.

Im sure Disney Laid out all the options and decided they would gain the most from this. So far it is work Attendance will be at 7m or so up form the 6m last year. DCA and the resort in general had a great year!

--Jay

I Think the amount of people and and revenue lost in those 6 months if they were closed would be FAR greater then now. Thats like 3 million people not attending the park. Not staying a extra day to eat and shop.

Im sure Disney Laid out all the options and decided they would gain the most from this. So far it is work Attendance will be at 7m or so up form the 6m last year. DCA and the resort in general had a great year!

--Jay

You mean Disney would have laid out and planned all the options and picked the one that would provide them with the least amount of lost revenue? No way! Either way, I'm sure the suggestions being brought up on here about the park are MUCH better options!

/sarcasm

--Jay

You mean Disney would have laid out and planned all the options and picked the one that would provide them with the least amount of lost revenue? No way! Either way, I'm sure the suggestions being brought up on here about the park are MUCH better options!

/sarcasm

Im not saying its the right thing to do... I just think they would lose wayyy more money. Imagine coming on vacation and seeing a themepark closed Disney no less. Plus its not like in 6 months they could Finnish building all the new rides just the entrance.

--Jay

Well I was just at DCA a couple of days ago, and saw the new construction walls at the entrance of the park. I have to say that it should be interesting to see what they do when the park has a 'Busy' day. When you walk up to the new walls, you head to the left until you hit the 5/6 entry turn stiles to let you into the park. I was there on a quite day, but on a busy day, I could see that It will be a sloooow process to get into the park.

But, what can you do, the new entry has to be built so that's the way it is. (Though I imagine that some people will get rather frustrated with the new process) I for one am willing to put up with the hassel, because I look forward to the long term goal of improving this park. Hopefully by mid 2012, we will look back and say it was all worth it.

Disney wants to make DCA a park worthy of the Disney name, I hope these improvements will make it so.