TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Disneyland Resort (DL, DLR, DCA) Discussion Thread

p. 393 - Pixar Place Hotel transformation will be completed on January 30th, 2024!

Some more entrance news, construction and attraction updates from the LA Times.

Disney California Adventure extreme makeover to transform entrance

By Brady MacDonald

Los Angeles Times Staff Writer

3:46 PM PST, December 21, 2010

Advertisement

An intense, 16-month construction project designed to transform the Disney California Adventure entryway from a nondescript strip mall into a circa-1920s Los Angeles streetscape will begin in earnest Jan. 4.

As part of an ongoing, $1.1 billion makeover, the sweeping and extensive reimagineering will wall off 4 acres of the main entrance between the C-A-L-I-F-O-R-N-I-A letters, Sunshine Plaza, Grizzly Peak and Hollywood Studios Backlot. The remade entryway, dubbed Buena Vista Street, will be designed to evoke the era when a young Walt Disney first arrived in Los Angeles.

After the winter holiday season ends, construction walls will go up around the iconic C-A-L-I-F-O-R-N-I-A letters Jan. 4 so that crews can turn the plaza area into Streamline Moderne turnstiles modeled after the former Pan-Pacific Auditorium in Los Angeles.

The most disruptive phase of the project will start in August, when retheming work will begin on the shops just inside the entrance. On Aug. 1, Engine-Ear Toys, Bu-r-r Bank Ice Cream and Baker's Field Bakery will close on the right side of the entrance. Then on Aug. 29, the Greetings from California gift shop on the left side of the entrance will close. If all goes according to plan, the new Pan-Pacific-style turnstiles will also open Aug. 29.

But construction will force Disney to route visitors through a 500-foot-long backstage pathway running behind Soarin' Over California. The temporary entrance/exit route is expected to remain in place through spring 2012. Another pathway carved through the Sunshine Plaza construction zone will allow visitors to travel between Condor Flats and Hollywood Studios Backlot.

The undertaking is so massive and unprecedented that DCA Vice President Mary Niven has taken to a Web video in an effort to convince visitors the Anaheim theme park will remain open for business once the front gate turns into a construction zone.

"While we're adding all these new attractions, our guests' favorite attractions are still open," said Niven, who faces the daunting challenge of building and operating a theme park at the same time.

Indeed, all major attractions and shows will remain open during construction.

By spring 2011, virtually all the areas of Paradise Pier currently behind construction walls will reopen to the public – including the Voyage of the Little Mermaid dark ride, the Goofy's Sky School wild mouse coaster, the Paradise Garden Grill and Boardwalk Pizza and Pasta restaurants, the Corndog Castle take-out stand and the SeaSide Souvenir shop.

The 12-acre Cars Land addition is expected to make its debut with three new rides in spring 2012.

The ongoing expansion, which some have derisively dubbed "Disney's Construction Adventure," has proven to be a continuing nightmare for DCA planners. They were forced to ship the Main Street Electrical Parade to the Magic Kingdom when earlier construction shrank the parade route and cancel the California Food & Wine Festival for 2011 and 2012 when logistical hurdles became evident.

In addition, the Pixar Play Parade will go on hiatus after Jan. 3, with the parade characters continuing to appear in pop-up "dance parties" throughout the park. "The Incredibles" mini float will begin appearing at various locations throughout the park on Jan. 7, with "Toy Story" and "Monsters, Inc." pop-up parties making their debuts over the ensuing weeks. The full Pixar parade is expected to return in November.

The Playhouse Disney theater will also close after Jan. 23 for conversion into the Disney Junior theater in spring. The rethemed theater will feature a new show segment based on the upcoming Disney Channel cartoon "Jake and the Never Land Pirates."

Additionally, the Blue Sky Cellar preview center will add a more elaborate display on the Little Mermaid ride beginning on Jan. 27.

Copyright © 2010, Los Angeles Times

Well I guess that 'Disney's Construction Adventure' would be an accurate statement.

The Construction walls are all over the park! But, in my opinion it's all good, because they are infusings a hugh amount of capital $$$ to make the park much better. So if they have to relocate the entrance or inconvenience a visitor, that's ok by me. The park has a lot to offer even with the construction nonsense, and the future of the park looks promising.

Disney will make DCA what it should have been back when it opened. They have succeeded with Toy Story Mania, and will continue with Car Land Etc...

This park can only get better with time, and I look forward to what the future holds.

I feel bad for the cast members who have to deal with the flow of people (the word escapes me right now) that is going to be worsened by all of the construction. Imagine when World Of Color lets out, it's going to be a nightmare.

In all honesty though, when 2012 hits, at least in my eyes, the park will only be half done. There's still a lot of glaring issues with all of it that aren't going to be addressed by this current remodel. Hopefully phase 1 is successful enough that we will see a phase 2 that corrects the remaining issues with the park, like Hollywoodland and Condor Flats.

The LA Times writer Brady MacDonald has another article about post Cars-land plans, all of which sound very promising. Also is very similar to other rumors I have read around the internet. Highlights and my thoughts.

"* An E-Ticket ride next to California Screamin', with an entrance in the helix of the roller coaster track leading to a new backstage attraction. (This I had head rumors of, but I wonder about how much backstage space there really is behind Screamin.)

* A D- or E-Ticket attraction in the other helix where Maliboomer once stood. The area is currently being turned into a character meet-and-greet location. (I guess characters in a "park like setting")

* An E-Ticket ride in place of Goofy's Sky School, itself a rethemed version of the Mulholland Madness wild mouse roller coaster. Current proposals for the location include an original thrill ride or a character-based attraction. An early concept called for a Ratatouille coaster to occupy the space. (Is there room though for a true E-ticket ? I don't think the coaster is bad, just that it would be much better as an completely enclosed ride.)

* Disney's original plans called for the since-removed Maliboomer drop tower to become a Green Army Men parachute drop ride. The same "Toy Story" theme could replace the nearby Jumpin' Jellyfish ride, which was originally scheduled for removal..(Which i don't think they should do, at least Jellyfish ties in much closer to Little Mermaid)

*Early plans called for the Fun Wheel Ferris wheel and the California Screamin' queue to get entrance facades to match the Paradise Pier area's new Victorian seaside theme. (I hope this still comes true!)

* Imagineers have previously discussed Halloween and Christmas holiday overlays for the Toy Story Midway Mania dark ride. ( I would not be surprised to see WOC to also get the Halloween and Christmas theme shows in the near future.)

*Grizzly River Rapids receives animatronic bears, condors and other creatures once envisioned for the raft ride. Animatronic characters under construction for the Grizzly Trail area at Hong Kong Disneyland would fit perfectly. (I'm sure this is way on the back burner, as the ride is popular without them.)

* An E-Ticket ride in place of the Redwood Creek Challenge Trail. Proposals for the location include an outdoor adventure attraction or a mine-train ride. (Maybe the same coaster from Hong Kong? )

* A circuitous train ride around Grizzly Peak as envisioned in concept art featured in the "Disney Mountains: Imagineering at its Peak" book. ( I doubt this would happen, because of lack of space.)

* The Soarin' Over California hang-gliding tour makes way for the long-awaited Soarin' Over the World replacement. (About time. And imo, time to replace A Bug's Life. Also, the Muppet movie could use a refresh too, perhaps to tie in with the actual new Muppet movie out next Thanksgiving.)

If Mickey's Phil does ever migrate over to the west coast, I would hope that it goes to Disneyland, in a new theater, somewhere near Toontown.

There's more in the main article. And I did read also the parts of Carsland are being left open to allow for further retail or attractions.

http://www.latimes.com/travel/deals/themeparks/la-trb-disney-california-adventure-phase2-20101210,0,4894115.story?page=1

All of these would be amazing to add to the park. Except I would really like them to keep Tough to be a Bug. I have to say it is my second favorite 3D show of all time right behind T2 at USH. Also, could someone inform me on where the exact location of the temporary entrance will be. Isn't it right in-between the Soarin' and the World of Disney store?

If Soarin' Over California is redone in any way that significantly changes the current film, I will be absolutely devastated. Hell, I already hate the remodel job (yes, hate, I was a rare major fan of DCA who actually liked the park the way it was), but if they touched Soarin'...it's honestly not even something I want to think about.

I keep seeing that people want D- and E-Ticket attractions at DCA. While a few would be nice, some B- and C-Ticket attractions are needed to balance out the park.

As for the entrance area, I do like the new Art Deco style planned for the entrance, but I also like the giant C-A-L-I-F-O-R-N-I-A letters---particularly how their colors/patterns were changed to fit the seasons or holidays. Those will be missed (by me at least).

In a few years, I look forward to the "finished" product. Also, I wonder what might be up the Imagineers' sleeves for Disneyland over the next decade or so. But that's for another thread.

Eric

All of these would be amazing to add to the park. Except I would really like them to keep Tough to be a Bug. I have to say it is my second favorite 3D show of all time right behind T2 at USH. Also, could someone inform me on where the exact location of the temporary entrance will be. Isn't it right in-between the Soarin' and the World of Disney store?

From what I understand the entrance will work like this during part of the construction: You will enter through the normal park entrance and make an immediate right turn and head backstage behind Sorin' and then turn left once you pass the Sorin' building. But this plan only works for Buena Vista Street construction, NOT for construction for the new entrance. That will have to be set up differently as you cant use the current turnstiles.

I saw a video of the New Year's Fireworks at DCA on YouTube. It's really interesting that they not only used the fountains from World of Color, but they used some low-level pyrotechnics as well, launching it from the lake and from behind the Toy Story Midway Mania show building. And it looks really nice. It makes me wonder how much better World of Color would be if they used some pyrotechnics during regular nighttime showings.

Though I guess they can't do that because of the nearby neighborhoods or something like that...

---space "good-bye DCA letters " mtfan

I saw a video of the New Year's Fireworks at DCA on YouTube. It's really interesting that they not only used the fountains from World of Color, but they used some low-level pyrotechnics as well, launching it from the lake and from behind the Toy Story Midway Mania show building. And it looks really nice. It makes me wonder how much better World of Color would be if they used some pyrotechnics during regular nighttime showings.

Though I guess they can't do that because of the nearby neighborhoods or something like that...

---space "good-bye DCA letters " mtfan

Yeah, judging by this video, it was an awesome show! The fountains looked fantastic with the fireworks in the background, and the all of the songs synced up very well with the show!

^Disney definitely wasn't joking about the 3rd being the last day to enjoy the "California" sign. I left the park at 11:30 last night and you could definitely tell they weren't wasting any time getting those things removed.

They should be fairly light compared the the previous weeks. A few rides are going down for holiday removal and rehabs, and the parks close early at 8pm with the only big entertainment being World of Color at 8:15. Fantasmic, the parade, and fireworks are all down.

Hope this helps!