TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Disneyland Resort (DL, DLR, DCA) Discussion Thread

p. 393 - Pixar Place Hotel transformation will be completed on January 30th, 2024!

Maliboomer always did seem out of place in a Disney park. The addition of Carsland, the Little Mermaid ride, the Red Car Trolley, along with the remake of the entrance, seem much more in line with what I'd expect from Disney. I hope that someday they can lend more of that "transported to another world" type feeling that Disneyland has to DCA. Once you walk through the tunnels under the Main Street Station you realize you're "not in Kansas anymore". The berm, and the dense foliage around it, really gives that sort of feeling to the original Disneyland park. Even though you're right in the heart of SoCal suburbia, you'd never know it if you were blindfolded and dropped off just about anywhere inside Disneyland. It's one of the things I enjoy most about the place. I realize that will never be entirely possible with DCA because rides like Tower Of Terror and California Screamin' provide views outside the park boundaries, but working toward more of that "another world" feeling while just walking around the park would be great.

It's officially started. Boomer has walls around it as well as the Farm area. And the park map has been changed to reflect a lot of the changes that are taking place.

405733839_BoomerWalls.jpg.53b8e6b6331bf463f956c98d3b6d620a.jpg

Walls around Maliboomer for its removal from the park. (Photo from artmus on Twitter)

1026914385_Farmerwalls.jpg.ec60e612680a41f64e7f727c222ba573.jpg

Walls around the Bountiful Valley Farm area for its transformation into Cars Land. (Photo from artmus on Twitter)

834671978_PizzaWall.jpg.040ef6acbc803090b40df0f2e517ac5e.jpg

Wall in front of Pizza Oom Mow Mow for its transformation into a new eatery with a Victorian theme. (Photo from artmus on Twitter)

120588857_DCAMapLarge.jpg.4d4f5348bd6a4c327e6d32d68696d435.jpg

Starting from the left: Walls in front of the Hyperion Theater to add the Red Car Trolly tracks, the connector path from Tower to Bugs Land, the Bountiful Valley Farm is gone, S.S. Rustworthy is gone, Burger Invasion is gone, Pizza Oom Mow Mow shows on the map but its label is gone, and finally Maliboomer is gone. (Photo from Mintcrocodile)

Also apparently, once Toy Story Midway Mania reopens, that is when Muholland Madness will close and be added to the list above and be changed into Goofy's Sky School.

^Wow, I hadn't been following this whole 'debacle' but wow. So a few things...

- Why is Mania down? Is it just scheduled maintenance?

- So you don't go to Bugs Land the normal way now? Is this permanent? Have they made a nice new entrance over by Hollywood?

- Do they have plans yet for that Maliboomer area? So what's going to be left there? No McDonalds, no Ship, no giant drop tower, what's left? One restaurant that they're redoing?

This whole thing just really baffles me.

This makes me bummed to be going to DCA this week instead of another. There's really nothing to go there for beyond like GRR, ToT, Screamin, and Soarin. And even then, those aren't balls out amazing or anything (all right, maybe just a bit ). Definitely not a good time to be going to DCA. And Elissa, the current plan for the Maliboomer area is a park that's also a possible character meet and greet area. I've also read that they might be getting a Toy Story parachute drop sometime in the future...but I'm not certain on that one, PLUS it'd be a really bad idea figuring as they already have basically the same thing a short walk away.

- So you don't go to Bugs Land the normal way now? Is this permanent? Have they made a nice new entrance over by Hollywood?

- Do they have plans yet for that Maliboomer area? So what's going to be left there? No McDonalds, no Ship, no giant drop tower, what's left? One restaurant that they're redoing?

Mania is down because supposedly they're installing gates for when riders exit the vehicles.

Bugs Land still can be entered through the normal way. However they finally connected A Bugs Land to the Tower of Terror. Due to the fact that the Hyperion is getting painted and they are installing the last bit of the trolley track in that same area, the only way to get to Tower of Terror now is to talk through A Bugs Land.

Nobody really knows what is officially going into the spot where Maliboomer is yet. However it's been rumored that they might put a parachute ride in (like the one that Knott's used to have) or even just put a few trees and benches in its place, the latter being the more popular rumor as of now. I for one have mixed feelings about Maliboomer leaving. I actually enjoyed the ride but at the same time it was pretty ugly. Like Mechanic said down there \/ the Maliboomer never really felt like Disney quality. It looked like they bought an off the shelf S&S and put different tarps on the sides and then put ugly buzz bell things on the top.

As far as the McDonalds, the ship, and the pizza place, that's all being incorporated into a new area that will feature 1 or 2 new restaurants. The ship is being taken out and new seating is being put in and the existing facade on Pizza Oom Mow Mow will be redone to reflect the new Victorian theme and I believe it's going to be a pizza and pasta place? Somebody correct me if I'm wrong... And then the McDonalds will just be a burger joint again, or should I say a "grill". Basically they're redoing the whole area and making it look Victorian. Or you could think of it as extending Paradise Park. Either way it should look better than it does now.

Maliboomer always did seem out of place in a Disney park. The addition of Carsland, the Little Mermaid ride, the Red Car Trolley, along with the remake of the entrance, seem much more in line with what I'd expect from Disney. I hope that someday they can lend more of that "transported to another world" type feeling that Disneyland has to DCA. Once you walk through the tunnels under the Main Street Station you realize you're "not in Kansas anymore". The berm, and the dense foliage around it, really gives that sort of feeling to the original Disneyland park. Even though you're right in the heart of SoCal suburbia, you'd never know it if you were blindfolded and dropped off just about anywhere inside Disneyland. It's one of the things I enjoy most about the place. I realize that will never be entirely possible with DCA because rides like Tower Of Terror and California Screamin' provide views outside the park boundaries, but working toward more of that "another world" feeling while just walking around the park would be great.

I pretty much agree with you on this, thanks for posting that. That's another reason why I'm looking forward to the completion of Carsland, you won't be able to see the power lines and the convention center over there anymore!

And this last weekend I was very fortunate to talk with an Imagineer who did tell me that they are indeed doing a temporary 8 minute screening of the new Tron film in the Muppets theater. Sadly I didn't get to talk to him that long but he is definitely very excited about the future of DCA as well as the rest of the Imagineers.

Edited by MagicMountainMan

-Mania is down for a quick fix is all. They were having some guest issues I think.

-You still enter Bugs Land the same way that you always have, its just now there is also a path that connects Tower to bugs land so you don't have to walk all the way around anymore.

-Boomer as of now has not had anything announced as a replacement. But Ive heard that in the mean time it will be a small park and possibly a character Meet and Greet.

-Pizza Omm Mow Mow and Burger invasion are both just being redone into a new eatery. I didn't mention Burger invasion in my post cause that was closed a while ago. They will both reopen as food locations. Also, if the Blue Sky Cellar is correct, there will be a third food/beverage option being built in between Jumpin' Jellyfish and the Swings.

Thanks for all of the answers!

It just seems kind of sad that they're taking out a pretty major ride with nothing really planned to put in its place. I agree with others that it seems totally pointless to put ANOTHER parachute type ride in that spot, and benches seem like a cop out!

http://abclocal.go.com/kabc/story?section=news/local/orange_county&id=7657052

An elaborate water show that debuted in June at Disney's California Adventure has been cut back from three performances a night to one.

A Disneyland Resort spokesperson told Eyewitness News that performances for the "World of Color" are being cut back because the theme park is moving into the slower fall season.

The water show will appear twice a night on Fridays, Saturdays, and Sundays for the time being.

The "World of Color" is set in a big lagoon and features over 1200 fountains, lasers, lights and fire bringing characters from "Aladdin," "Wall-E" and other Disney movies to life.

My guess was that Maliboomer was going to be replaced by a similar style "Paris Studios Green Army Parachute," until I was just down there and saw/remembered that they already have the jellyfish parachutes. Granted they are different, but I highly doubt they would put two very similar ride that close together. I'm also glad the pizza place is going, the food was absolutely terrible.

The hollywood boulevard area is even more dead now that you can't get to Tower. That area also needs some work. The entrances for Muppets and Monsters are kind of hidden, and don't really even look like entrances. I heard a lot of people mention that they had no idea that Monsters was even there.

WOC - My two cents. They could absolutely keep all the rides open without affecting the show.

My guess was that Maliboomer was going to be replaced by a similar style "Paris Studios Green Army Parachute," until I was just down there and saw/remembered that they already have the jellyfish parachutes. Granted they are different, but I highly doubt they would put two very similar ride that close.

Could it be a Windseeker for2011?

Thanks for all of the answers!

It just seems kind of sad that they're taking out a pretty major ride with nothing really planned to put in its place. I agree with others that it seems totally pointless to put ANOTHER parachute type ride in that spot, and benches seem like a cop out!

I don't know if you could call Mailboomer a success as a major ride, but I understand that not putting anything there is a waste. When you have all this construction going on, you still need "filler rides," in my opinion, to secure a lengthy visit like Disney reaches out for.

Call me the weird guy here, But I still don't see Mailboomer as all that ugly. The idea of the concept was to be one of those Mallet like carnival games, but they never showed it to really look like that. With better execution, it might have been a better success. And from a Guest's perspective, I highly doubt they cared that they could find an almost identical thrill over at Knott's--a ride is still a ride. No matter what people would still enjoy themselves, at least that is how I see it.

The hollywood boulevard area is even more dead now that you can't get to Tower. That area also needs some work. The entrances for Muppets and Monsters are kind of hidden, and don't really even look like entrances. I heard a lot of people mention that they had no idea that Monsters was even there.

I have to strongly agree, especially with the Monster INC. ride. The ride entrance looks more like a photograph back ground as Sulley usually stands out there for a photo opportunities. The fact also that those two attractions are built away in a corner, I can understand Guest not being aware of such attractions. However, I do know that there are signs up and around, and even the map does a pretty decent job at pointing out these attractions as well.

http://ocresort.ocregister.com/2010/09/09/disney-park-set-to-dismantle-major-features/55145/

Crews are set to start removing two recognizable features of Disney California Adventure’s entrance as part of a $1 billion overhaul of the theme park.

Starting Thursday (today), workers plan to start dismantling the large, metal sunburst statue and fountain in the Sunshine Plaza, which sits near the entrance of the park, said Michele Himmelberg, a Disneyland Resort spokeswoman.

Construction walls are supposed to go up first before the infrastructure is removed.

On Monday, crews are set to begin tearing down the mosaic tile walls that sit alongside the turnstiles and line the entrance to the park.

The tall, mountain designs flank the model of the Golden Gate Bridge, which later will take on a new look.

California Adventure entrance. Courtesy of Disney.

The features are coming out to make room for the new entrance and Buena Vista Street, an area designed like 1920s Hollywood when Walt Disney first arrived in California.

A building that looks like the Carthay Circle Theatre will go in the location of Sunshine Plaza.

The original theater showed the premieres of Disney’s 1929 Silly Symphony cartoons and “Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs” in 1937. Find out more about the entrance plaza on Disney California Adventure’s expansion site.

Buena Vista Street and the new park entrance are scheduled to open in 2012.

Crews are starting construction on other parts of California Adventure, now that the summer season has ended.

So, the Sun Icon will be coming down starting today and the Mosaic Mural will start to come down on Monday. Add this to the list of things all going on at the same time at the park! Haha, this is going to be interesting!

179638165_SunIcon.jpg.f8448e0a044e1e9a9d4d263dd9432d37.jpg

Sun Icon in Sunshine Plaza

211933440_EntranceMural.jpg.405f07ee5aa2af433734bffbe9c2335e.jpg

Entrance Mural

california-adventure-entrance.jpg.c256ca797dbf9b6014eae018fb973c2a.jpg

Full mural

Edited by COASTER FREAK 11

And from a Guest's perspective, I highly doubt they cared that they could find an almost identical thrill over at Knott's--a ride is still a ride. No matter what people would still enjoy themselves, at least that is how I see it.

The only problem with this is that you can pay thirty dollars to ride it at Knott's, and you have the pleasure of paying over a hundred dollars to do it at California Adventure. The real problem with the Maliboomer is that it doesn't reach the high level of quality that Disney is known for.

The mural should either go on the back of Carsland that faces the Pier, or the Indy building on the exterior facing DD.

Maliboomer's removal is a mistake, with nothing planned for the area. Any form of low rising flat would be appropiate, one that could be housed in a small structure in the same style as TSMM. It is amazing that they claim the removal is for the victorian look, when Mickey's Wheel has a bland station (certainly not victorian) as does CA Screamin.

The mural should either go on the back of Carsland that faces the Pier, or the Indy building on the exterior facing DD.

Maliboomer's removal is a mistake, with nothing planned for the area. Any form of low rising flat would be appropiate, one that could be housed in a small structure in the same style as TSMM. It is amazing that they claim the removal is for the victorian look, when Mickey's Wheel has a bland station (certainly not victorian) as does CA Screamin.

I'm sure there are other reasons why Disney is removing the ride and don't have a ride ready to take its place...