TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Disneyland Resort (DL, DLR, DCA) Discussion Thread

p. 393 - Pixar Place Hotel transformation will be completed on January 30th, 2024!

I can't be the only one who thinks TRON is going to be a huge flop?

One of the stylists for Tron came into my shoe store in July and purchased shoes for an added scene. When I inquired about why they were still filming, the stylist responded with "To make a character from the next film make more sense". It sounds like DIsney is anticipating big numbers and has everything in line to make this its next big franchise.

As for the DCA ElecTRONica party, well... Given that it's basically a reworked Glowfest I'll at least get a good chuckle walking through it.

I remember back in the day on the Peoplemover passing through a building and they had a little Tron segment promoting a Tron attraction "coming soon." I think that was 1990? So even back then, Disney was considering an actual Tron ride. Now with the coaster tech we have now, it would be possible I think to do a Tron ride that would deliver a great experience. I think they kind of missed the opportunity to have a Tron attraction ready the same year as the film opening, but they historically have been pretty slow in tying current film properties to rides. I think Carsland might be the first E-ticket in many years to open alongside a film property (Cars 2).

Even if Tron turned out to be a poor movie, a well executed Tron coaster wouldn't suddenly be crap. I think for Disney, if Tron the movie failed, they wouldn't be able to move the merchandise in the exit gift store. In general, I think Disney views new attractions more as a vehicle for selling merchandising primarily. And if there is a risk of merch not selling, the attraction winds up on the back burner.

^I think you're referring to the old High-Speed Tunnel's makeover as the "World of Tron." Basically, the Peoplemover just cruised through a tunnel with projections from the movie on all sides, which was supposed to give the illusion of increased speed (similar to the finale of Horizons at Epcot).

^I was wondering when someone would mention the Peoplemover Tron Tunnel. I can still hear the whizzing and buzzing of light cycles dueling to the death - it was that loud in there.

The sequence livened up an otherwise nondescript section of Peoplemover track. Sort of what ElecTRONica will accomplish at DCA.

Back in March, I was waiting for Great Moments with Mr. Linclon to begin and began to chat with a bored Cast Member. He actually told me that Disney DOES have a Tron ride in the works. The strange thing was, he said it wasn't going to be a roller coaster...but he could have just no known. Funny thing is, I know other people who have chatted with bored cast members before and they found out about Space Mountian's remodel before it was announced; so this dicussion I had with him might not be totally false info.

He didn't specify what park it would be in, but it's pretty obivious it's going to be in Disneyland since Cars Land is opening at DCA in 2012.

Still hoping for a Lightcycle Roller Coaster though

^I think you're referring to the old High-Speed Tunnel's makeover as the "World of Tron." Basically, the Peoplemover just cruised through a tunnel with projections from the movie on all sides, which was supposed to give the illusion of increased speed (similar to the finale of Horizons at Epcot).

Yeah, they did use footage from Tron during the finale of Horizons as well. This really shows my age, but does anyone else remember that they were going to build a section in Communicore West (Epcot) as Tron a themed arcade/pavillion? I remember seeing an announcement painted on one of the walls around early 1983. Yeah, it never did happen, but maybe they just dug up nearly 30 year old plans for this one.

I can't say I'm going to miss Pizza Oom Mow Mow, but I guess I am one of the few people that's going to miss Maliboomer. It wasn't that powerful of an S&S Tower, but I thought it was a fun ride to hit up since the single rider entrance got you on pretty fast.

Like I said, I know I'm in the minority, but at least there's still Tower to enjoy.

As of today, the Maliboomer and Pizza Oom Mow Mow are closed FOREVER!

Oh, good. I'm glad there is some resolution on Maliboomer as it seemed like there was some speculation if it was actually staying or going. I always felt that ride was VERY out of place at DCA. It never seemed to have much ridership and as far as space shots go, it was pretty tame.

Any idea of how long Screamin' will have to be closed while they take it down?

As of today, the Maliboomer and Pizza Oom Mow Mow are closed FOREVER!

*sigh* I hate seeing rides close. Especially at Disney! But yes, it was very out of place, like Robb said.

And I do believe that I got the last pictures of Maliboomer EVAR. (on TPR, at least)

HPIM0205.thumb.jpg.1044a4492dfb59439ea7d05ae951b715.jpgHPIM0206.jpg.1844d8213a8b559923e2bec1fbb90917.jpg

The station, which was full of people standing around doing nothing! -.- [my guess was that it was broken down, because there was a 30 minute wait (shock!), unless that was because people found out about the ride closing.]

HPIM0208.jpg.9fc00b24ecfde47fd5045b76b136e011.jpg

Final park index love for Maliboomer.

pizza ooh mow mow isnt being removed. It's just beeing rebuilt to better reflect the victorian theme of the boardwalk. All the sources I've read have stated that it will re-open with essentially the same menu. Presentation and show will be different and better though.

So I might be going to the DLR this week, and I was wondering, do they still have 3 shows for World of Color? Can anyone give me info on getting show passes (if it's still a hassle), and how many shows they're doing?

Edit: Nevermind, found my answer. Just one at 8:00pm.